[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Flame Issues in This Election Year

Flame Issues in This Election Year

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Flame Issues in This Election Year

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:45 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Flame Issues in This Election Year

Postby Haruo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:15 pm

by Elizabeth Heffron was a fascinating piece of work. Aquinas supported the old (pre-"trimester") "quickening of the fetus" rule.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:16 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:08 pm

I have been just getting into the first of the play and highly recommend it to everyone here!

Thanks, Haruo!!! :D
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:46 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

As I have reported many places

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 pm

on many threads at this site, the Sean Wilentz piece in New Yorker on Cold War Tea Partiers puts the whole social issues strategy rewired this time by the tea party in historical perspective.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Simple, Ed: What people do in the privacy of their home is none of the government's business nor is it a place to start making laws.

Is there a problem with a "live and let live policy" when it comes to homosexuality????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:19 am

How about I add: "Between consenting adults" to the statement about home living.

The moral police had a royal failure with Prohibition!

This kind of marital legislation is un-needed and stupid, in my view. I would rather have gays out of their closets and living in legally blessed unions than being forced into the dark corners with no decent outlets for their behaviour.

You have to admit it is a "flame issue" and just distracts people from the real issue of religious intrusion into the state.

Do we really have to have a law for everything---and find us simply paying legal fees to the steps of the Supreme Court over things that are not any business of government?

Shall we discuss the place of homosexuality according to the Constitution of the United States? If you can show me a Constitutional precedent, then we need to address it. Otherwise, mind you own business!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Richard Land, his own flame issue

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Read the comments to this ABP piece:

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/7103/53/

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:24 pm

So----what do you personally think, Stephen???
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:36 am

ABP has a recent article which deals with Abortion and the SBC publishing arm:

They withdrew the Pink Bible when the Komen Foundation didn't do as they wanted. Now they are reconsidering it IF that foundation is going to back anti-abortion stuff.

Without a doubt, this is religious pressure on "certain" politics when we used to refrain from such! We simply did not take sides and encouraged people to vote their consciences without dictation of what that side should be.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

What do I think personally

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:53 pm

1) Gene Scarborough should have his own subscription to Baptists Today; and read it closely each month, in the vein of the Driver's Manual anecdote in Lost Highway

2)Gene Scarborough should read The Anointed by Stephens and Giberson

3) Gene Scarborough should start an investigation into why Jesse Helms died in good standing at Hayes Barton BC

4)That is what I think personally

5)And finally I think I have read all the abortion stories A) Jill Lepore, B) Christine Stansell C Cynthia Gorney; and you and maybe David Gushee have not and the conversation is ill informed till you do

That is what I think personally

All that said Peggy Noonan who often makes me nauseous did have some interesting remarks today with Fahreed Zakaria about Prez Obama and the Catholics

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:30 pm

I bow at the feet of the great puppet master: Stephen (the link) Fox!!!! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:09 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Mitt Romney Bachmann Language

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Today in Minnesota Romney is adopting Pressler like language and demagoguery on issues close to the religious right's heart. It is lessening Romney's stature

Stephen Fox

Gene Scarborough in the Mirror

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Maybe this article will help Gscar self explain

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... us/252416/
Edsall is a wise man. My Dad was talking to Tom and Bill Self of Wieuca Rd when I met Edsall the first time. We'd been talking on the phone when Winfred Moore contested Charles Stanley in Atlanta 86

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:41 pm

More dropping of names, Stephen----just state your point from your own brain, brother----PLEASE!!!!! :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Cut a tree; eat a stump, Geney boy

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:42 am

Are there any women who can give us a view from the side of humanity which is most affected by abortion?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:24 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Ethicsdaily and Martin Marty shed some light

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:56 am

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/10-commandme ... -cms-19229

and Marty excellent piece navigating Peggy Noonan who has occasional light but often makes me nauseous. I hope Peggy answers to Jesus about God's Own Party

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/some-controv ... -cms-19225

Stephen Fox

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues