[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Intelligient Design and American Dervish

Intelligient Design and American Dervish

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Intelligient Design and American Dervish

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 pm

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/flawed-argum ... -cms-19121

For me Marilynne Robinson offers the best resolution of this dilemma, but then again not many Baptists are reading her.
In the meantime this conversation earlier in the week was most fascinating. I commend it to all:

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/17/145334491 ... experience

I hope some of you will make time to listen online, or read the transcript
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Intelligient Design and American Dervish

Postby KeithE » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:21 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:45 am

One of my life-long dilemmas was the biblical account of creation and that of evolution. The solution comes when you realize both stories are a theory of how we got here. A theory attempts to explain things and those holding to it are obligated to test and inquire in the most factual way to prove or disprove the theory.

The resolution of my conflict came with good biblical study and learning something about the Hebrew word for time which can equally mean "indefinite period of time." The fact there are 2 stories of creation in the Bible is another problem for saying the Bible is right and Science is wrong.

When you put the 2 theories up side-by-side there are many similarities to the point I don't have to choose one or the other, but recognize what each is trying to say.

Science is more interested in the "What" of creation while the Bible is focusing on the "Why" of its story. Earth and Carbon 14 dating tell a story of long eons of time. Anyone trying to say "evolution has stopped" is thinking only short periods of time and afraid to admit the biblical "day" was hardly 24 hours. If you think creation was 4,000 years ago, let me take you to the Phosphate Mine across the river from me. They are digging through eons of sediments when the ocean used to go up to Fayetteville some 120 miles inland from Bath. You can see the old beach in what is called the Sandhills section of NC.

I see no real conflict nor reason to force anyone to make a choice. The publishers of Creationist textbooks are getting rich over the tempest in a teapot. Perhaps that's more descriptive than "dervish." Last time I checked, a "dervish" is a drunken and frantic dance akin to a fit.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:24 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

The Anointed

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:11 pm

DAve: As a fan of Giberson you are just one book away from The Anointed. I hope you read it soon so we can spread the light with those in darkness here on this board.

KeithE; in All due respect, ID language is a distraction. Robinson trumps with virtue all your wasted reading on the matter, and helps clear the fog. To invoke ID language is to encourage the foggy into more obfuscation.

Join me and Dave in reading Giberson.

Stephen Fox

Re: The Anointed

Postby KeithE » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:50 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 am

We just do things differently in the Sunny South and charismatic churches around here! :)

Sometimes snakes are added for further effect. 8)
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:01 am

Stephen---

Son---you have been taking lessons on .25-words from old Paige Patterson. It might be more helpful to stick with good Alabama English, if you please. :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Whirling dervishes

Postby Haruo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 am

- and check out the lyrics translation beneath the screen
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Giberson and Stephens in NY Times

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:06 pm

I have submitted a letter to the Gadsden Times where a State rep is reported to be introducing legislation for release time from Public Schools to teach Creationism

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/opini ... .html?_r=1

Stephen Fox

In the Bham News

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues