[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The Mormon / Evangelical Dilemma

The Mormon / Evangelical Dilemma

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

The Mormon / Evangelical Dilemma

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:54 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: The Mormon / Evangelical Dilemma

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 pm

There is a pretty vast difference between what Mormons believe about the resurrection of Jesus, and in fact, what they believe about Jesus in particular, compared to "traditional Christianity". A casual answer to a survey wouldn't reveal what most Mormons believe that cause Christians to think of them in terms of the word "cult" rather than as mainstream Christians. The Standard Works of the Church, which most Mormons believe to be more authoritative than the Bible, quite clearly outline the differences.

A better question to determine what Mormons believe in contrast to traditional Christianity with regard to the resurrection would include a question about Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross being an atonement for sin, and whether or not a believer can be sanctified and justified by this blood sacrifice alone. Most Mormons would say an emphatic "No!" to that.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Ed: To Genes question "What do you think about Mormons being Christians?

I think it is a pipe dream. As I think Sandy was suggesting the Book of Mormon is a mixture of truth and major error conflicting with the message of Jesus.
Unfortunately I can not cite specifics at this time because somewhere in our many moves my Bright Green official copy of The Book of Mormon got lost. Or I may have put it in a yard sale more likely, I tossed it in the trash.

There was a time in my life that I began to seriously consider becoming Mormon and after some study I rejected that idea. However as to the so called dilemma.

I would wish that Mitt Romney was part of a Christian religious group. And I assume he thinks he is yet, I could and may vote for him if no better candidate turns up to oppose Obama. Partly because people with whom I have talked to in MA do not feel that Mitt in any way used the governorship to promote his religion, just as JFK did not use the presidency to promote Catholicism as some of us (yes myself included) had anticipated. Therefore I am more concerned with Obama's political philosophy than I am with Mitt's influence on religion.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby John Sneed » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Mormons are a nonchristian cult. They share NO beliefs in common with any branch of Christianity, conservative or liberal. When pressed, Mormons will often say "We are Christians. We have Jesus' name in the name of our church." The central tenet of their religion is this saying ... "As man is God once was. As God is man may be." Joseph Smith taught that the Mormon church came into existence because ALL Christian churches were apostate and the Mormons were the restoration of the one true Church on earth. But again, I restate, mormons share NO beliefs in common with the historic christian church. Not one.
John Sneed

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:56 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:44 pm

In the reverse, Ed----how many in the SBC are not participating in BWA activities.

It's the same religious arrogance which separates us.

It is a core belief that Jesus is the Christ which unites and saves us. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:16 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Baptist favorite passtime:

Confessing the sins of others!!!! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:31 pm

No, Ed, I don't know any former Mormons so I have no take there.

I had the same experience with the highly placed Mormon thinking he could convert me. He stood in our last 5 minutes shaking his feet before he left. It's their way of shaking the dirt off their feet in not getting you to follow their ways.

What I noticed most distinctly was that he claimed the Book of Mormon was alongside, but not superior to the Bible. The more he talked, the less that actually seemed to be true. My final words to him were that I was content with my 66 books of the Bible and found no need for additional stuff which was only supported by "witnesses."

A document written on golden tablets (which is an imperishible material) should certainly be available for me to see. My Bible is based on perishible materials, none of which we have, but the copies of copies is sufficient for me after I hear the faith stories and materials they transmit into my modern world.

Bottom line: any religion is more about faith than empirical proof---otherwise it would not be called "faith."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

If Gene could stomach a link

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Joanna Brooks could teach him a lot at www.religiondispatches.org

I think his Grandmomma, His Great Grandmomma and all his kin in Pickens, County South Carolina that saw a Civil War Veteran returning would be proud of this bright Mormon woman
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Stephen---

Don't see Joanna Brooks nor anything about Mormons here---have you slipped a cog or what??? :wink:

Now you know why I don't suck up to all your links. It would be nice if it was link sausage which I love when fresh!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Balmer does a grand job here on Mitt

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:46 pm

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/100 ... n-religion
Comparison to Joe Lieberman is spot on
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:42 am

I’ll let God decide who is in the fold and not. Their theology is no doubt quite wrong, but how God judges is up to Him. Theological viewpoint, where Jesus can be found might not even matter.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:51 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks for the lead, old buddy---unlike some others here, I must get out and work for a living doctoring trees! :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues