[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 2012 GOP Nominee hopes and predictions

2012 GOP Nominee hopes and predictions

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Who do you hope will get the GOP nod in 2012?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Newt Gingrich
11%
Ron Paul
22%
Mitt Romney
22%
Rick Santorum
11%
Other (please post your preference)
33%

Total votes : 9

2012 GOP Nominee hopes and predictions

Postby Haruo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Okay, now, all you guys and gals who are hoping to vote against Obama this fall, as of now which alternative do you hope gets the GOP nod, and which one do you think will get it? The poll is just about who you HOPE will be the nominee, but I'm also interested in who youTHINK will. The poll DOES allow you to come back and change your vote, or at least it's supposed to.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: 2012 GOP Nominee hopes and predictions

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:29 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:23 am

Ron Paul would be more interesting with debates settling on 1) American interventionism, 2) corporate money/subsidies in politics (lobbying), and 3) the philosophy of government (can govt have effective programs? to what extent? local/state/fed roles? tax levels?). I think we need national discussion on all 3 of these points. 1), 2) are major issues of the OCCUPY movement along with unfair distribution of money. 3) is an underlying (often unspoken) philosophical debate between conservatives, liberals/progressives about the wisdom of acting collectively. Without Paul as the GOP candidate, only potshots in these arenas will be debated instead of underlying philosophies/principles. That is why voted for Paul as what I "hope" for.

I think Mitt Romney is most likely.

Are you going to post a poll on Most Likely as well? If you do, I suggest both polls should be in the Politics and Public Policy Forum.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 am

I hope Mitt Romney because I personally think he is the only one running that has a chance of being a decent President. I was tempted to mark one of the other three because the other three are unelectable and would give Obama a better shot. But I agree with many who think Romney will get the eventual nod.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby johnfariss » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:59 am

Ditto, Tim.

Romney & Santorum (maybe Huntsman, but I don't enough about him and don't think I will need to, he is so far behind) are the only Republican candidates I would consider voting for. As I told a more conservative brother on another blog, it will depend on if the eventual nominee caters to the far right/Tea Party wing or adopts a more centrist position.

John
johnfariss

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:51 am

I agree with KeithE that this should really be in P&PP. I'll move it if I can remember how.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:02 pm

A good guy becomes an Ogre when he's tagged to moderate!!!! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:37 pm

In order to vote for a Republican candidate, for me it would have to be Mike Huckabee. The business interests avoid supporting him last time around because of his "Fair Tax" proposals. There are some things about his agenda which I don't necessarily agree, but I think he would be able to break through some of the gridlock brought to Congress by the small minority of congressional Republican freshmen.

Romney has the money, and a cataract of support from the 1 percenters who want badly to purchase the White House and put him in there. They are pushing him as the only nominee who could beat Obama, though polls repeatedly show that upwards of 20% of the GOP will not vote for him if he is the nominee, and a clear majority of Republicans are voting against him in primaries. The problem is that there are no strong candidates for the rest of the party to step up and support.

The White House is well on the way to raising the $1 billion they set as a goal, and by the time the GOP comes up with a nominee, they'll be well behind the curve. They've got to be jubilant, at least, inside behind closed doors, at the way things are transpiring on the other side.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Leading political contributors----most going with Republicans!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Huntsman

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Is about the only respectable candidate in the field. Too much blind pac money behind Romney and he is little prickly, though Jack Welch said some good things about him last night on CNN.

Keep an eye on S.C. It is gonna be something, the Primary, testing among other things the Mah Fybuhr of the states Southern Baptists
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

At the Heart of the GOP Demagoguery

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:57 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:31 pm

My apologies to Huntsman for leaving him out of my poll. As I wrote on Facebook, it's "about time we had a President who can speak the language I vote in! I hereby endorse (駱家輝) for POTUS!"

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 pm

As I look out over the Republican field, I think only Huntsman and Paul have IQs over 115.
There is no one in the GOP who can beat Obama in 2012. The folks now in the race are just "getting their ticket punched" for 2016. It's a shame they are wasting all that money. If these same people run in 2016, and no one new comes forth, the Dems can run Gore, Clinton (B or H), or Carter and win!
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 am

Let's add another dimension to I.Q.------M.Q. = Mean Quotient! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:01 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:06 pm

As far as I can tell, there has only been one serious Presidential candidate in the history on the US who was also a serious advocate of Esperanto. My question: was he also a Mormon (or perhaps RLDS? His radiclib platform probably wouldn't have flown well in Deseret).

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:37 am

This weekend the primaries brought more severe criticism among the candidates.

The questions about Romney's former activities as a corporate raider are more than serious---that is what has made such an impact on lost jobs in America!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:52 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:11 am

ONLY those who still believe in the Tooth Fairy would buy this now!

Nothing in Trickle Down economics has trickled down to my small business but GRIEF!!!!! :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:00 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues