[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 2012 Starts---what should we do to make it positive?

2012 Starts---what should we do to make it positive?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

2012 Starts---what should we do to make it positive?

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:53 am

It's sunrise on the Pamlico----and I am thinking with need for helpers: :?

1) Will it be a Sunday---or just another New Year Parade day?

2) Will the economy improve---or have we just had a spending spurt bigger than last year only for this Christmas?

3) Our troops are coming home from Iraq---can we keep them here to spend military paychecks at home?

4) Does anyone in Raleigh or Washington, DC, care about anything but re-election?

5) Why should we sit and depend on government to solve problems we might just solve better?

I am impressed with the level of reason and creativity of people on this board. Perhaps there are more questions troubling you this lovely day. It's 36 degrees now and headed for the mid-60's. A cold front is coming with highs only in the 30's later this week.

Good day for reflecting as Sunday and New Year's Day coincide. Join me, if you please!
:)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: 2012 Starts---what should we do to make it positive?

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:20 am

Honestly, the last thing I want to do on January 1, 2012 is talk about politics. I am sick to death of all the TV commercials and political news in Iowa right now. I'd much rather talk about what we as Christians can do to be more like Jesus in 2012.

I am leading worship this morning at First UMC Cedar Falls today. We will be sharing in a part of the Wesley Covenant Service. It is an opportunity to re-commit ourselves to our faith for the coming year. I'll be sharing the scripture passage from Luke about Simeon and Anna.

"Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace : according to thy word.
For mine eyes have seen : thy salvation,
Which thou hast prepared : before the face of all people;
To be a light to lighten the Gentiles : and to be the glory of thy people Israel."
(BCP)

Then we will be sharing in the sacrament of Holy Communion for the first time in 2012.
Last edited by Tim Bonney on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:37 am

Tim---'

Are you forgetting Jesus' admonition to be in the world but not of the world?

Agreed on spiritual matters, but contend they extend into how we are treating one another these days---especially in politics! :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:46 am

Pull up the description of Jesus and the Moneychanger at the Temple and see if you might think a little more deeply!

OR look at them quizzing him over the Greatest Commandment, etc., etc., etc.----politics and government are being depended on today more than we should, but it is a reality of the day.

If your offering plate were 30% of what it used to be 4 years ago and your salary were cut accordingly, then I think you might have a little sympathy for a small businessman / bi-vocational minister like me---HUMMMMMM?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Misinterpretation of what I meant. Perhaps I should have said "wider application."

I'm just seeing your current position as on of keeping the spiritual corner of life going with little attention to current problems we are facing that I cited.

Knowing the kind of thinking you do, I would first expect a few other areas---1 of which you quickly cited.

No need to any tender nerves on the first day of the year. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:34 pm

I just hope more people will join in this good and needed discussion.

Great first day of the year here. My grandsons (4) did not get into serious problems with their PaPa. Perhaps some of my "edge" today had to do with their rowdy stuff going on yesterday.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:58 am

Here is a serious place to start making 2012 better! It deals with corruption in every corner of politics and all parties.

For a quick check go immediately to the Newt Gingrich section.

We need TERM LIMITS as a clean-up measure for 2012.

How does the American voter have the opportunity to have it on the ballot???? :?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:59 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 am

In no particular order ...

* Turn off all our electronic gadgets for a few hours a week and enjoy God's creation by taking a hike and listening to the sounds of nature

* Spend a few minutes every week watching a 5-year old unfold the world

* Turn off the radio one day of the week on the commute to work, and just let your mind amble; for a bonus, begin your commute early, take the back roads, and drive slowly

* Read, read, read - science, history, human stories (in addition to the Bible)

* Listen, listen, listen - to people different than us, to persons we love, to what someone really means (as opposed to what they may be saying)

* Be observant of what is going on around us, both for understanding and to recognize opportunities to uplift others and better ourselves

* Start the day with a good cup of coffee and an old-fashioned print newspaper

* Turn the sound down on political ads on television

* Check in on BaptistLife.Com daily :-)
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:56 am

And I suggest a good pipe for easing of nerves along with that cup of coffee!

Great suggestions---most of which I can achieve here by the lovely Pamllico River----unless another hurricane is predicted for here like Irene.

For that instance: renew your knowledge of drown-proofing taught while at Emory!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:11 am

Good list Bruce! I would add in:

1. Do something for others - Volunteer for a soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, go on a mission trip rather than just writing checks to projects.

2. Know when to take a break/vacation/day off. I've been in very few churches that would notice if you worked yourself to death. You have to plan to take care of yourself in ministry.

3. Spend time with family and friends.

4. Take time to pray, pray, and pray some more.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Try this look at the power of petition to change things displeasing us:

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:15 pm

It's just a "sneaky" as the Congress these days and probably for a good reason---but it is Constitutionally correct as to the right of disent for US citizens. Also the right to petition government to address greviences of citizens of a DEMOCRACY!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:25 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:27 pm

If it gives you a chance to express yourself---simply
do it!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:01 pm

I most certainly do "get it!" I'm tired of the 4 year screw job and the years before leading to it by a bought Congress.

Is that simple enough????? :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:09 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues