[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - "Green technology pollutes the planet"

"Green technology pollutes the planet"

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: "Green technology pollutes the planet"

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Ed Pettbone: ET's post raises another question for me, where the charging stations do require a fee, or if you feed a Preius at home, does that fee include sales tax and a road tax such as I pay when I buy gasoline at the pump? And as I have asked over and over, what is the cost of a new battery and how much of the old one can be recycled? BTW, I have driven my Subie 6,584 miles in four months at an overall average of 31.4 MPG.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:10 am

Wow, Keith, that's quite a hit on MPG with just a tire change. Is there a big premium on low rolling resistance tires that caused you to avoid using them as replacements? Or are they hard to find? You're still getting great gas mileage, however. Or did you do an ROI and figure that the price savings made up for the drop in MPG over the life of the tires?

Ed P.....the batteries in the Prius are warrantied up to 150k miles, I believe. Initial fears that they might play out at barely more than 100k or so ended up being unfounded, but not entirely a baseless projection given rechargeable battery life in other uses.

Initial projections for replacement battery costs were as high as 7 or $8000 from what I remember...again...another miss. I am somewhat surprised that the battery cost has dropped to the below-$3000 range....be interesting to know if that includes labor to remove the old one and install the new one.

Actually, I think GM may have better luck with the new Cadillac hybrid based on the Volt than they are having with the Volt itself. Not too many folks making $170k/yr (average household income of Volt buyers) want to be seen driving a "regular people's" car like a Chevy.....the Cadillac version is better targeted to the folks that can afford to buy it. I still don't think the economics of the thing work out, but if they want to buy it, go ahead.....I do object to them - or anyone else - being giving tax credits for buying it, however.
Last edited by ET on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 pm

My pastor drives a Prius and is pleased with it. But I don't know why, so I won't speculate.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues