[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Newt Gingrich; Historian?Hamhouse Townhall Nov 30

Newt Gingrich; Historian?Hamhouse Townhall Nov 30

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Newt Gingrich; Historian?Hamhouse Townhall Nov 30

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Last edited by Stephen Fox on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Newt Gingrich; Historian?

Postby Sandy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:32 pm

At the very least, if there are a hundred things which would keep me from voting for Newt Gingrich for President, his understanding of politics is rooted in historical knowledge. Of course, history as a listing of events is one thing, and interpreting them is another. But this field of GOP candidates has exhibited an appalling lack of knowledge of historical events, aside from the biases of interpreting them. The fact that they are getting a pass on some of it is due to another gap caused by political interference in the public education system. Their potential supporters at the polls don't always recognize their errors.

That being said, I will pass on supporting Newt. He may be the newest, hottest "I'm not Mit Romney" candidate for the Republicans, but he's not presidential material.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:49 pm

I have watched Gingrich for many years as a Georgian and fellow Emory alum---he is just------an OPPORTUNIST.

As such, he is a great opponent for Obama to BEAT!!!

Obama got Ossama and that will rule in 2012. It's all about public image and money. Obama has both! :lol:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:55 am

O, I don't think there's much question of whether or not the President could beat Newt. He still has the solid backing of his Democratic party constituency. Newt as the GOP nominee would push independents back to Obama at close to the percentages of them he got in 2008, and the moderate Republicans, which Newt would have to pull to win in places like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Virginia and Florida would either not show up, vote third party, or choose Obama as the lesser of two evils.

The right wing media's credibility is fading, and that's a key element in keeping their group on the same page, unified, and engaged. Herman Cain, whether he's guilty or not, has exposed their hypocrisy, and a lot of the people who are sincere when it comes to their convictions regarding "values voting" are not happy with the allegations, nor with Newt's problems in the morality realm. It is hypocritical to have made such a fuss over Bill Clinton, and give a pass to Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain, and it looks naive and silly to defend him when the evidence keeps piling up. And personally, I can't wait for the revelation to sneak out about who has paid off these people to come forward, because it is obvious that's the motivation. If it turns out Romney is involved, say hello to four more years.
Sandy

Me and Newt, Hamhouse Townhall

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:53 am

This Morning in Greenville,S.C. Was there for the Town Hall, then showtime with celebrity Sean Hannity came in and set up to tape for tonight's Primetime show.
Tawked to Sean. Brought Shorter College to his attention, and the Giberson and Stephens book The Anointed.
Tawked to Newt as well, though I did not get a question in the Town Hall; about 500 folks there, Hamhouse was packed out. All the major news media including NY Times and Wash Post. In fact spoke briefly to the fellow who wrote the link above in this thread.
Newt is Challenging Prez Obama to a series of Lincoln/Douglas like 3 hr debates, though he was too much of a coward to engage common American citizens in an exchange before all those cameras; all the formal town hall questions were screened by a coterie of assistants that included North Greenville College grad--Shorter's Don Dowles last sojourn--and the emcee was grad of Tabernacle Bible College in Greenville. Prayer was by Prez PCA or to the right pastor, in the sincere name of Jesus.

Fun morning though my hard boiled eggs got smushed in the press of the crowd though I was able to salvage the best of one of them, and the whites of another.
Newt colleague from Georgia drove up from Commerce and the Ga Public Service Commission, a next door neighbor of former FU QB and head Coach Bobby Lamb.

Friendly guy, but I navigated the thicket with grace for the most part and had some interesting conversations.
Newt Staffer Caroline is JL Mann HS grad and College of Charleston. In the receiving line after Town Hall before Sean H setup, I got to get a good bit of my reservations on Newt's church state riff, which was pure demagoguery. His handlers weren't too happy about that, but everybody was okay and we talked BBQ among other things in the interim before Sean came in and all the lights went to him :lol:

Stephen Fox

Newt's Hot Rhetoric

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: Newt Gingrich; Historian?Hamhouse Townhall Nov 30

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:28 pm

:brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Sfox on Upstate TV contra Gingrich

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

http://www.wyff4.com/r-video/29893089/detail.html

About 56 seconds in.
You can tell by dark circles under my eyes I didn't make it to the makeup man. Got up early and scraped ice off the windshield to drive 20 minutes from my Sister's to Tommy's Ham House bout mile from downtown Gville on Rd out to Furman, just shy of Stone Avenue.

Think my 4 seconds about the 56 second mark of the tape may evolve into bigger discussion possilby including Shorter College and Stephens and Giberson's The Anointed; endorsed by Christian Century and jacket blurbed by my friend Randall Balmer

I hope LD Johnson was proud of me; Stewart Newman too.

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:01 am

Stephen---

Was Jack Frost on the ground yet in Greenville and PIckens Counties?

When you are in eyesight of the Blueridge things get c-o-o-o-o-ld at night!!! B-r-r-r-r-r-r!!! :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Nixon and Newt/Dazzlin

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:33 pm

First:

Gene, we can pick this up by email instead of witless exchanges here, but to know Pickens County; well you are unlearned even if you lived there a few days in the 50's until you have mastered the writings of George Singleton, and better Ron Rash; and I don't think you have read either.

That said and back to Newt; this with the Furman banner in the background; lot of room for interpretation there

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... ore-181561

And this

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/01/142987431 ... h-carolina

Best if you listen online to hear the woman who voted for Obama last time in great Upstate accent finding Newt "dazzlin" this time around

Stephen Fox

And then from Tommy's Ham House on CBS

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:12 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:02 pm

Enjoy the "superiority complex, Stephen!!!!

If I had a choice between Alabama clay and fertilizer from the chicken house, I'll settle for Pickens County's view of the mountains and it's closeness over your stilted turf!!!!

Enjoy your dilusions of grandeur!!!! :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Rash could enlighten Scarbo's Soul

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Lets don't get ugly here; I just don't see how an aside could turn in your flawwed mind to me having delusions of Grandeur.

There is some good scenery in Dekalb County, Alabama, but not comparable to the best of Pickens and Oconee, though Oconee takes Pickens every day.

All I was saying is my friend Ron Rash has more facility in regard the human heart and ability to describe the grandeur of Pickens county than you do; and you could learn a little and have some heart medicine as well if you would read him.

To paraphrase the Sheriff in No Country for Old Men; well maybe later, right now I don't you think you are worthy of that jewel; would most likely be a waste of my time....... :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

Stephen Fox

Gingrich on Church State

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:53 pm

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... test_hits/

It was language similar to what Posner highlights above that caused me to come off a sidewall and raise my hand last Weds morn at Tommy's Hamhouse and say Twice: "Congressman Gingrich, Congressman Gingrich!". But he did not acknowledge me and the Town Hall with Screened Questions by among others a student at Tabernacle Bible College and New Shorter Prez Don Dowles recent staffing North Greenville College continued.

That was after Newt came out of the gate challenging President Obama to 11 Douglas Lincoln like debates.

I wonder if Abraham Lincoln woulda had a quorum of Tabernacle Bible College or North Greenville advising him during the days of Abolition and Slavery though I am sure he woulda appreciated their vote and discussion as part of the American fabric.

Which raises another question one I mutedly tried to heckle Newt with Wednesday; does Newt see himself as Lincoln or Douglas in this challenge?

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:24 pm

Newt is a fellow Emory grad with whom I don't see eye to eye on "things conservative."

What troubles me most is his hard-nosed approach to the homosexual issue when his own sister is gay!!!

He is, like most Republican front runners, a master at telling you what you want to hear so he can get elected. As such, his being a front runner will now get him the same close examination as Herman Cane!!!!

May the press have at it with Newt and his checkered past!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

At Emory Newt could learn a lot

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:27 pm

From George Wallace biographer, Dan Carter.

Newt may be more like Wallace than he is Nixon; Nixon analogy explored in NYTimes Caucus Blog day after Newt was at Tommy's Hamhouse
And Joe Crespino could add some juice and nuances to the world of Newt.

I hope we can get some comments here from the likes of Gourley and maybe Mercer Prez Underwood on the Rd.org piece by Posner. Surely with the Book The Anointed it all has implications for Shorter College and what's going on there

Stephen Fox

SFox report on Sean and Newt at Hamhouse

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 am

Last edited by Stephen Fox on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Stephen---

Sorry but I'm not impressed with links and name dropping. It would be far more impressive if you would just say what you really think and let us respond to it in language the average reader can understand.

Those who have to use stilted language and the words of others are missing the opportunity to think for themselves!!! :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Bill Moyers/Gingrich NPR Fresh Air, Thurs 8th

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Gene: Bill Moyers once sent me a note that said People like me Make a difference. And of course there is my correspondence with Stewart Newman friends tell me now is the Duke Library for Baptist Studies.
So this is not the place for your continued embarassment of what you don't know; and I have better things to do than to be distracted by your small comments.
Monitors have warned us before and this thread is too timely and strong to get locked for snittin like your comment above.
Explore the several links I offer above. Several poignant and fertile anecdotes; consider that.

In fact, maybe your flaw is some kind of inability to navigate online social cues. Early in the post above you see a smilie face and an attempt at humor in Re No Country for Old Men. And the title of the post says linking extravanza. Most folks, possibly excepting you and my friend David Flick, would see that as subtle self deprecation.
I don't know, you have a way of taking all the fun out of it. :wave: :wave: :gavel:

RandallyLolley Love me; Newman loved me; My Mom and Dad loved me and I got a lot of constructive criticism at Furman and other venues along life's way.
I understood your Johnny One Notes a long time ago. Find somebody else to harass, Please.

Newt Gingrich will be the subject of NPR's Fresh Air tomorrow. Check your local NPR listings, usually airs between 1 and 4 pm edt. It repeats at 10 here in Bama.
And anybody else that want to click on the valuable links above please do, or has anycomment about my revelations about the event, would love to engage.

Thank-you

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Heck, Stephen, I have notes in my extensive files from way back from Strom Thurmond, et al---but that doesn't make me a big wig as it seems to make of you (in your mind's eye)!

I'm doing my best not to be a snit---but you make it awfully hard! Just lighten up with the name dropping and share your original thoughts--------then I will be more than happy with you! :wave:

Otherwise I am forced to give you the new version of the "golden spur" = :horse:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Out of the trees, into the Hamhouse

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Why don't you sign up on Facebook, Gene and befriend folks in Aberdeen or what not.
Now, let's see if anybody out there had time to come out of the trees and explore some of the valuable links from the Ham House.
And serious folks out there, do keep an ear out for the Newt NPR Fresh Air tomorrow with Karen Tumulty. Or read the transcript online soon as you can later tomorrow

Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Whatever---"brother" Stephen!!!! :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Newt and Richard Land, NY Times Dec 6

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Stephen Fox

Whoa Nellllly

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Hal Eaton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:15 pm

I don't know if my piddlin' reference will add to Newt's bag of disclaimants, but . . .

Tim Murphy, writing in MOTHER JONES mag, quoted Newt directly (he called it "33 years of Bomb-Throwing").

Here's a sample:

In 1990, Gingrich's political action committee, GOPAC, sent out a memo titled http//www.wfu.edu/-zulick/454/gopac.html) "Language: A Key Mechanism of Control" to several thousand Republican candidates running for state and local offices. All of that is only a few lines at the bottom of one of three pages of various quotes. It includes a list of words they should use to describe Democrats:

decay, failure (fail),collapse(ing), deeper, crisis, urgent(cy), destructive, destroy, sick, pathetic, lie, liberal, they/them, unionized bureaucracy, "compassion" is not enough, betray, consequences, limit(s), shallow, traitors, sensationalists, endanger, coercion, hypocrisy, radical, threaten, devour, waste, corruption, incompetent, permissive attitude, destructive, impose, self-serving, greed, ideological, insecure, anti(issue), flag, family, child, jobs, pessimistic, excuses, intolerant, stagnation, welfare, corrupt, selfish, insensitive, status quo, mandate(s) taxes, spend(ing), shame, disgrace, punish (poor...),bizarre, cynicism, cheat, steal, abuse of power, machine, bosses, obsolete, criminal rights, red tape, patronage.

All of that is only a few bottom lines of one of three pages . . .
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues