[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Cain and Sexual Harrasment Claims

Cain and Sexual Harrasment Claims

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Cain and Sexual Harrasment Claims

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted any conversation about Herman Cain and the sexual harrasment claims being made against him.

My estimation is that his candicacy is over but he doesn't know it yet.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: Cain and Sexual Harrasment Claims

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:43 am

Every day, the story changes, and I'm not certain exactly what the story is yet. Maybe the real story is that no one wants to tell the whole truth here.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:51 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:27 am

What amazes me these days in politics is the PRETENSE!

Republicans are using their seeming righteousness to the max and I am laughing my tail off at each one being outed by the others. It's like my grandsons telling on each other as they fuss and fight over rank. You would think grown folks able to enter the Primary would have learned better.

Forget "perfect candidates." Just give me a person who is real / down-to-earth / willing to cooperate with Congress as they cooperate with each other to address real issues of the economy. BUT that would be too simple.

I think Cain is a typical powerful black man taking advantage of position with women. It happens with their clergy and their businesses more than with whites. Any man of any color is subject to temptations, but has the option of maintaining his integrity---what---a politician with integrity these days!!!!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:08 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:13 am

With all due respect, I differ with you.

I made the general observation above that white men of power suffer from the same sexual disease of predation!

I live in the South and it is part of the black religious culture that preachers there give "service" to widows and singles. I didn't invent it. I'm just reporting it with no racial slurs intended.

Get real on this one, Timothy.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:05 am

I lived in Rocky Mount for a number of years. There are some 10 ministers of color in that town who are well known by both black and whites as "race baiters." Each of them puts on a pretense and their people ignore the womanizing in public. "Their people" talk behind their backs about the corruption and pretense = that's 10!

While trying to deal with the 60% majority of black children in trouble with the Juvenile Courts of Wake County, I put together a volunteer chaplaincy program inviting ministers to participate. We especially needed black clergy to have automatic identity with the larger number of their children having family and personal problems. By and large, the black ministers did not attend the well-publicized meeting. I tried to enlist and call them personally. Most had unlisted numbers! They assumed a superior position as they "served."

My father had the same problem as he initiated the Juvenile Court Chaplancy for Fulton County. He went to Dr. Martin Luthur King, Sr. for help and got it. Remember the accounts of his son, MLK, Jr., who saw nothing wrong with infidelity as he moved around the country.

I rest my case. It's not pretty, but it is real-----SORRY!

I invite you both to now "prove" otherwise.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:26 am

Gene, as I read what you have written, I realize that there is some truth and some falsehood to it. I also live in a majority African-American community, and I have contact with some of the pastors in those churches. First, I see we have a number of different types of ministers. There are those who are serious workers who are well-educated and who are committed to doing the best kinds of ministry that is in their traditions. Then, we have a second group who seem to come and go in ministry. Some have little or no ministerial training, but they do their best for their people delivered food and clothing and assisting others. The third group bothers me in that they seem to start storefront churches in almost any vacant building and gather a small group around them of personally loyal followers. The storefronts seem to come and go overnight. There are charlatans as well as sincere folks in these groups. Of course, we in predominantly white churches don't have much to brag about as far as our behavior is concerned. Plenty of ministers and laypeople leave the door open to all sorts of criticism as well.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 am

Dave---

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

You insights are most accurate and correct a, perhaps, too broad description which found objection from Ed and Tim. The position Tim has as part of the stringent requirement of the UMC is likely much better than we see at times.
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:20 am

One of my realizations is that failures in and the misuse of ministry is not bound to any racial or social group. Roman Catholics have certainly had their conflicts within the clergy over the failures of some priests to protect children and the failure to discipline those who are in its ministry. Baptists have faced the reality that we do not have any system to deal with the sexual exploitation of children and have often swept it under the rug. The total independence of many church groups in our communities means that they are answerable to no one and often that their minister is the highest authority--something that is hard to justify in my thinking. There are certainly those who abuse that trust and embarrass the cause of Christ. I'm certain it occurs in Black churches, but it certainly occurs in white ones as well.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:30 am

I still find the African-American touch to "ministry" somewhat interesting!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:26 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:42 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:55 am

I already stated that you were taking my statments as overgeneralizing---BUT I am giving an accurate account of how things are here.

If they are different there, I rejoice in it.

I have cautioned Christa about being too quick to out people before the news item and story completes. Please don't take my statement as "ALL" because, if your read it again, that was not the statement. I simply said there is more of the Cain-type activity among black men of power. It is bad with whites. Somewhat worse with blacks. All of it is a travesty of morality and self-control.

Women lusting after men of power and prominence certainly do not help the matter either so let's put responsibility where it lies with everyone involved these days. Just reserve the intimacy for those committed to marriage, if your please. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:08 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:22 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Well said Ed!
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:42 pm

I believe Gene was asked to provide proof of his allegation. He responded with an anecdotal account of 10 ministers he knows in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. That's not proof.

I've known a few African American ministers myself. I must confess, I don't know a single African American pastor who has used his position to gain an advantage with women. That sort of counters Gene's argument, doesn't it?
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:35 pm

With the kind of money Romney has to throw around, and with corporate interests lining up to line his coffers, as well as pay for expenses on his behalf that don't fall under the scrutiny of the election commission or federal law, I would not be surprised if there are several women who have been made independently wealthy as a result of stepping up to make an accusation. I'm sure they've found several who had contact with Cain who were willing. Cain himself has been sitting on a pot crammed with his own fortune for quite some time, why wait until now to collect? Where were the accusers earlier, like, right after this allegedly happened?

Corporate interests desperately want Romney in the White House. It will be interesting to see what else they are willing to do to try to get him elected.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Sandy I hardly think that is necessary. it is quite clear these harassment charges long predate Cain's run for President.

I watched a whole string of clips where first Cain says it is unaware of harassment settlements, then a few days letter he was "aware" and then by the end or the week he admits he knew all about it. In other words at the beginning of all this he was clearly lying.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney