[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Norway Suspect a RW Christian Fundamentalist

Norway Suspect a RW Christian Fundamentalist

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Norway Suspect a RW Christian Fundamentalist

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Norway Suspect a RW Christian Fundamentalist

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Well lets see- if Jens Stoltenberg (Norway's PM) were to follow the Bush response to terrorism, he should immediately roundup all Christian immigrants to Norway like and he should invade a Christian country (like the USA) that incites people to fundamentalism to negate their Christian fundamentalist militant groups detaining those deemed to be "enemy combatants" and torturing them to find their next move. In fact fight them over there, not in Norway. And then maybe invade some other country with a violent recent history and a different kind of Christian religion like say Catholic (so maybe invade say Columbia), Protestant/Catholic being rough equivalent of Shia/Sunni.

I know the analogy is not perfect but its close.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:48 pm

I see the conservative political connection here, but find it quite interesting that, somehow, "Christian Fundamentalist" got attached without any reference to any church group or known "Christian right wing" group that he may have belonged to. Has there been some kind of jump to conclusion without evidence?
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:29 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:12 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Oklahoma City, Norway and Laurel Mississippi

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Today on NPR's Talk of the Nation they were referring to the Norway terrorist as a Cultural Christian, as opposed to a fundamentalist believer.

Here is fascinating piece from RD.org;

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... terrorist/

As I have stated before, maybe the proper analogy for current Baptist thinking is Brievak to Sam Bowers, the Southern Baptist Sunday School teacher and Klan mastermind of Mississppi, 1960's as Charles Marsh explores him in God's Long Summer.

And the key question to ask is in Re Marsh's masterful exploration, what did Doug Hudgins of Jackson Ms in that time; how does he compare to Albert Mohler; and legitimately but more obliquely how is Hudgins analogous to Alabama's Rick Lance and Bob Terry in the current discussion over the Bama immigration law?
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Is this thread designed to somehow blame Southern Baptists or other people of their ilk for what happened in Norway…guilt by association, and everyone just knows that SBCers or other fundamentalists (translated, ignorant people) are always ready to make the kill…especially, like the dear leader said, when they grasp their Bibles, take up their anti-multiculturalism M-16s and look for immigrants to waste? Could Mohler have been behind the whole thing? Only the Shadow knows.

The killings were horrible…should never have happened, just like Oklahoma City and 9/11…totally unprovoked. In light of these wanton killings, one wonders how the dear leader feels bout his totally unprovoked attack on Libya. Wonder how many Libyans have been dispatched in establishing the months it’s taken to establish a “no-fly zone” that was actually established within five days after 19 March. Weep for the Norwegians. Weep for the Libyans.
Jim

Re: "More" democracy????

Postby ET » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby ET » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:52 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:45 pm

ET

Re: The multiculturalism cult....

Postby ET » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 pm

ET

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 am

The reason the emphasis/obsession regarding the marvels of diversity and multiculturalism haven’t damned this country, given its history of taking in all the tired, poor, weary people yearning to be free, is simply that the immigrants of all eras were willing to be Americanized. They retained their customs and religion but made it clear to their children that they were no longer in the “old country.” Both they and their children (for the parents to greater and lesser extents) learned the language and made themselves capable of functioning in the society. The liberal foolishness in constantly demanding that people not change but be “accepted,” thus “enriching” the society has resulted in perpetually emphasizing how people are different, not how they’re alike. This is the liberal paradise characterized by class warfare and a direct rejection of e pluribus unum in favor of e pluribus calamitas. Muslims, ignorantly driven by Islamic fanaticism, even if they learn the language, intend never to be Americanized. Rather than change, they intend others to change to accommodate their weirdness. Collectively, they’re dangerous and the Europeans have discovered this. We are also learning this.
Jim

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Off topic, but Keith, what ship? (I have fond though faded memories of sailing from Southampton to New York in 1968, on the SS Rotterdam (probably not the same as the current ship of that name), back in the era when that was regarded as transatlantic passenger transportation rather than a "cruise".)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:35 pm

KeithE 5 gun deaths a year in Norway (usually), over 10,000 gun deaths/year in the USA. (This is 2005 DATA)

Ed: And just the top 3 cities in the US have 3 times the total population of Norway. And the Population density in the US is double that of Norway

And guess where the most US gun deaths are.

BTW greater population density is almost always related to higher indents of violent deaths, including those by fire arms.

Keith, I really think science orientated folk should use readily comparable figures when trying to make a point . I think ET has a great point when he says

ET"I believe you're a bit simplistic in your sociological evaluation of the difference in gun deaths in the two countries. You're comparing apples and oranges from a sociological point of view. Norway is a highly homogenous country. The U.S. is not. I imagine Norway doesn't have gang shootings and drug issues and any other number of sociological events that we have here in America that affect the death rate. Step foot into many rural communities in America I imagine you'll find the murder rate approaching Norway's."
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:33 am

How about if we exclude all of the US that is in a SMSA as large as Oslo's (I believe Utøya would be within the Oslo SMSA if they used US definitions of such things) and just compare gun-homicide rates (or homicide rates period) between Norway as a whole and the "smaller town than Oslo" portion of the USA. I have not done so, and I don't know that anyone has done so, but I would be interested in seeing the comparison. My guess is that Norway, at least in a normal year and probably even this year, would look good. But I don't know.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 am

BTW I am the primary author/editor of the Esperanto Wikipedia's article on this event. . Would welcome feedback or suggestions.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:44 am

Dang....my last post got lost......anybody else been having issues with a slow server response? I had a draft and submitted it and it doesn't show in the thread and isn't in the draft folder anymore. :x
ET

Postby Neil Heath » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:55 am

That happened to me once a couple of days ago, ET. Losing a post, I mean. It's been very slow for weeks now as well.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Edwards » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Somewhere i have a copy of my writing on the evolution (etymology) of the term "Fundamentalist"
This is the short version off the top of my head:

1920-1984 -- Fundamentalist: any member of a Christian Protestant group that advocates strict adherence to their literal interpretation of "the Fundamentals of the Bible"

1985-1994 -- Fundamentalist: a member of any book religion that teaches strict adherence to their literal interpretation of "the Fundamentals of their book".

1995-2004 -- Fundamentalist: bigot resulting from meanings 1 & 2

2004-present -- Fundamentalist: any bigot who blows people away for any reason whatsoever.
Ed Edwards

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues