[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Eric Cantor must be Eliminated from the US Congress

Eric Cantor must be Eliminated from the US Congress

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Eric Cantor must be Eliminated from the US Congress

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:23 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/us/po ... ml?_r=1&hp

And Richard Land and Mohler must speak Truth to Power on this matter.

Flood his district; commit chaos for him before he takes us all under.

Richmond, Virginia and a slither Northwest of there.

It is time for fair minded people to call on Frank Page to take Jim Demint to the Woodshed, or for Public School teachers to take their cooperative program dollars elsewhere.

I would not be surprised to see a common sense revolution in the SBC to throw the Tea Party folks at the top of the SBC CP out, and finally leave this culture war horse manure and vote in denomination and congressional district for their economic interest, which is not the Tea Party of Cantor, and Frank Page's good friend Jim Demint.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Eric Cantor must be Eliminated from the US Congress

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 pm

I doubt that there are more than a dozen members of Congress who genuinely have the interests of "the American People" in mind when they walk those halls, sit in those seats and collect those paychecks. Keeping the campaign contribution money flowing, and the lobbying interests hopping occupies all of their time and attention. I have to smile every time I hear John Boehner or Mitch McConnell talk about what "the American People" want or don't want. It's clear, from looking at any poll that measures their job approval, that neither Boehner or McConnell would lnow what "the American People" wanted if it popped out of their toaster.

Campaign contribution limits, lobbying restrictions and term limits would solve most of the problems of gridlock and partisan bickering that now characterize the US Congress. Perhaps the silver lining in the dark cloud that is hovering over the August 2 debt ceiling deadline is that it puts the GOP's House majority in danger. At least some congressmen may lose their seats over this.
Sandy

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:42 am

Jim

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 am

Someone suggested on Facebook another way to reduce the deficit. The government should stop buying John Boehner's tissues. :lol:
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:21 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Correctamundo Sandy!

This belief that letting corporations evade their taxes, have tax holidays to "repatriate" their offshore profits w/o taxes will lead to jobs is wrong headed. They said the $800B bailout of the financial giants would lead to loans to businesses (large and small) and thereby jobs; that did not happen. Instead there was a 23% rise in exec pay, 8% rise in executive bonuses, a re-assembly into larger corporations thru buysout with the bailout money.

I say give tax breaks for bonafide job creation (or better yet job salary creation).

This notion that so-called "producers" in our society should be rewarded in no doubt true. But those at the top are merely orgainzers of work, they are seldom the innovators nor do they "produce" anything. It takes all manners of peopel to make a company profitable - innovators, hands-on makers and things or doers of services, managemnet to organize it, salespeople to keep teh product(s) sold, transporters ofraw materials/information from their sources to teh factory/office to the public again. The management (just because they can) have taken the lion's share of the profit for the last few decades and looking for ways to take more (e.g. cheaper labor, non-payment for cleanup of what they leave behind, etc.). This is what FoxNews/Murdoch and the Koch brothers (to name a few) are all about and they have hijacked the RW (be they low, middle or high income) in their favor - Eric Cantor being one of the worst infected with such false beliefs.

My SS lesson that I'm preparing for has loads to say about such "oppressors" in power. Jer chapters 22-25. Read it.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:51 am

Part of our tax problem is the complicated nature of our tax system. While I'm not certain how well a flat tax system will work, the present system that has enough regulations to allow those who can afford tax accountants and tax lawyers to avoid taxes is just wrong. There are so many esoteric deductions that only benefit those who can afford them. I also say it is simply wrong that everyone making less than $106,000/year pays either 7.65% (or 15.3% if self employed) for Social Security while someone making $1,000,000 pays only 0.81% of income to Social Security. And, Social Security is never charged on earnings from rent, royalties, or capital gains. That seems to get few takers around here who want to discuss it.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:30 am

I'll support a flat tax.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Economic Theology

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:54 pm

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... _complete/

Notice Laderman teaches at Emory.

You serious students of this matter and how it got this way will also want to read Dochuk and Williams on the evolution of the religious right, which they make a good case began in 1947 with a perfect storm of religious cultural events in Southern California.

Also see my school teacher/CP thread at SBC Trends site of this forum.

Stephen Fox

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 pm

BACK TO THE SUBJECT --- ERIC CANTOR.

He violated The Logan Act.

"the Logan Act, which makes it a felony for any American 'without authority of the United States' to communicate with a foreign government to influence that government's behavior on any disputes with the United States."

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn ... index.html

Richmond VA (I was there today) is so conservative, it still thinks of itself as Capitol of the Confederacy. Cantor couldn't get elected anywhere else in the state.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:36 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

The Republicans in the House today compromised with the President----but the Senate still has to deal with the budget and debt ceiling.

Is this all a "dog-and-pony show" or what????

How I wish they would stop acting like children fighting of the playground and MAKE SOME SENSE before all the small businesses in America go under!!!!

Since July 4 NO ONE is spending money on precious trees. I'm not happy / the trees need attention / how can a businessman keep his help with nothing for them to do?????

Common children---let's get serious and earn your more-than-deserved pay!!!! That is---if you are sober and come to work tomorrow!!!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Lesser Depression and Mayor of Mesa, Az

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/opini ... _LO_MST_FB

I couldn't exactly get my thinking around all Krugman is saying here. Of the proposals on the table is he saying Boehnor/Obama is not adequate to plug the dam till 2012 and a New Congress?

In meantime I understand the Mayor of Mesa Az, GOP, much better. Would that he was in Congress instead of Eric Cantor.

Stephen Fox

Re: Lesser Depression and Mayor of Mesa, Az

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:04 am

I don't know if Cantor's district is targeted or not, but someone has spent a whole lot of money on advertisements up here in PA that are running against GOP congressmen, targeting them by aiming at social security recipients, telling them to call their Repubiican congressman and get him or her to stop the tea party's unwillingness to negotiate and get with it to stop the country from default. A local poll shows majorities in the 55-60% range in both districts around here blame the Republicans for the impasse. I would guess that, if the default does happen, the GOP will lose their house majority over it.
Sandy

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:18 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues