[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Have You Read the Declaration of Independence?

Have You Read the Declaration of Independence?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Have You Read the Declaration of Independence?

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:37 am

Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Have You Read the Declaration of Independence?

Postby ET » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:08 am

One of my favorites: "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Every time a politician wants to address an issue, it usually results in the above. Heath care. Education. Energy. You name it, a politician's got a "new office" in mind to harass us -- either individually or corporately -- and to tax us for our supposed own benefit.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. :brick:
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:31 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 am

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 am

And I thought we were a country "of the people / by the people / for the people"----silly me!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:43 pm

It had been several years since I had read it fully. Nice to do so again. Thanks for posting that.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:04 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:33 pm

As I have often said: "In 200+ years we have re-created here the mess our ancestors gladly left in England and Europe----but we can revolt every 4 years without the need to use guns!!!

We need Term Limits, in my opinion.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:17 pm

The Declaration was quite a document for its time. I have a major in history with graduate study in constitutional law and government, but it wasn't until about two years ago that I visited Independence Hall in Philadelphia for the very first time. No class could convey what that twenty minute visit, standing in that narrow hallway between that small legislative chamber and the court room where British law was enforced, taught me. Those men were literally sitting just feet from a room where, had they been caught, they would likely have been sentenced to death for treason, and the government that was represented by that court was in complete military control at the time. There was no context for what they were doing. It was a stab in the dark, literally, and the outcome of it was far from certain. Interpreting their clear intentions by what they wrote, with the overlay of 235 years of history since then, isn't easy. That's why, in that same room, with the hindsight of both a long war for independence, and a failed, loose confederation of independent states until 1789, the document that emerged reflected the need for continued change, amendable and flexible in its interpretation.

Many of the things which emerged in the constitutional government of the United States were reactions, not only to the rule of the British monarchy, but also to those things which hadn't worked out very well in the colonial history of America, either. Religious freedom in 1789 was much further along than it had been in 1776, as was the relationship between government and the economy. Likewise, the failed confederation of the Articles of 1781 factored into the definition of "states rights" and federalism in the constitution.

If you haven't visited Independence Hall, I would highly recommend it.
Sandy

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:29 am

Well said, Sandy---and it brings chill bumps to my neck!!!

We are typical of so much about humanity and the governments thereof. Man starts it with an ideal / starts claiming it is "of God" / starts using it to control people and get their money through taxation, then (in the last 30 years) ends every political speech with "God Bless America" (pronounce it A-mer-ca to replicate George Bush's call to expensive war in the Middle East).

Nothing is perfect when mankind starts it. We spoke of "freedom and justice for all," but failed to grant women or people of color the vote until recent years. We love denying gays any legal protection nor marriage rights until recently. Now we are on illegal aliens as if they don't deserve to be made citizens when they work our fields and do things people on Welfare enjoy not doing while getting enough government support to get more than fat----actually obese!

Our Founding Fathers and their followers had had enough of a King and British Law. Lady Justice was the ideal of fair treatment under the law, but OJ got off because he had the money to hire fancy lawyers who made a mockery of "justice for all." It happens every day in our courts besmudged by too many lawyers and too much inconsistent law.

The basics of the Declaration had to do with the abuse of political power along with favoritism toward those in compliance with British tyrany. When we, once again, promote justice for all / fair and balanced taxation / dealing with our own problems rather than trying to run the world through our military might / seeing to it that small business has the same rights as giant corporations, then we just might be back on the track started with a "Golden Dream": WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:53 am

There is probably some set of historical context that feeds each of the "DoI Facts" starting with "He has refused Assent to Laws,...". Does anyone know a book or internet site that reconstruct that context or gives a better idea of what Jefferson was thinking about for each Fact. Some we can make reaosnable guesses, others are more obscure.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:30 am

I have a couple of historical monographs on the background of the Declaration, but, alas, they are in a box somewhere in the attic. Several have been done over the years. If I can locate one later in the day, I'll post it.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Here is the results of my query on the historical context:

Many of the articles are most helpful!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:58 am

Great observations Keith!!!

I have often thought of how we would feel if foreign armies were among us. If their tanks and armored vehicles were threatening every aspect of our community life. Our ancestors hated the rule of a foreign country as we became a more separate society and formed our own want and needs. We beat them out with inferior fire-power because we knew the places to hide just as they do in the Middle East and years ago in Viet Nam.

The simple foreign nature of our presence puts our troops in harm's way. Most of those killed are as much molested over their invasive presence and any citizen's knowledge of whether Democracy is a better way of life.

In addition, I note that EVERY regime recently overthrown in NE Africa was one we have been backing to the hilt for many a year. Now, isn't that odd for a supposedly "freedom loving" bunch of Americans!

Is it about political ideals or what we can rape and pillage for profit from foreign soil?????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:58 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Chris » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby KeithE » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues