[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Global Warming Thread XIV

Global Warming Thread XIV

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Global Warming Thread XIV

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:26 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:30 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:40 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:23 am

I know skeptics will call any presentation of scientific fact "alarmist," but the polar ice is melting, and it is a recent phenomenon. I've never seen any credible refutation of this. People who live and work in that part of the world have seen it happen in their lifetime, which is an incredibly short period of time for climate change.

http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/qthinice.asp
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 am

Mighty strong evidence, Keith!!!!

Since 1910 we have seen rapid machine development giving man the real ability to change the face of the earth. With large industrial tree cutting equipment we can take down an acre an hour. Wise loggers replant / stupid ones let it sit and polute rivers and streams. Migrating fish like Salmon find no place to lay eggs so they can live. In a single year a whole next generation of important fish can disappear!

Just watch this next hurricane season. Because of massive timber cutting in South America, that area will make them stronger as they pass that part of this hemisphere. Katrina generated a mighty tidal wave which wiped out the Gulf Coast and we still have its aftermath. Has anyone learned any lessons yet????

The Three Rivers Dam is changing the face of China. The new massive weight of water in that region could well be the genesis of the Tsunami which hit Japan. I know of no studies yet on that, but it is certainly possible. For sure, the change the Hoover Dam has generated to the Colorado River brings sedimentation and change to that region of this country. What we created in the process is NOTHING compared to what the Three Rivers project will do there.

In Florida they thought they were doing great things with draining the Everglades. It made for more land to sell, but much of it is being dynomited out because of environmental damage out-weighing what was thought, at the time, to be good.

Anyone just looking at his own backyard misses the coming flood from above as new subdivisions are built uphill and runoff water is getting out of hand. They have just put new regulations on dirt disturbance in Metro Atlanta. Strangely, they did not have the personnel trained to help contractors be more environmentally wise. My mother almost got drowned at my sister's downstairs apartment when water rose to 4' in the middle of the night a couple of years ago. One look at that near-disaster made it obvious the underground drainage was overwhelmed. That which accomodated the water a few years ago can't do it now because of more uphill development.

It is more expensive to cooperate with Mother Nature, but simple greed just makes for monster problems later. The wise farmer never keeps tilling the soil and raising crops without adding nutrients back with proper fertilization. It's called "CONSERVATION!!!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:18 pm

David,

Do you concede that the Arctic and Antarctic polar regions are melting or is the DATA I gave above merely "fabricated" as you have suggested before on other GW DATA? Or some other nuanced answer of your choice.

When cornered, you most often just change the subject.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:06 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Gentlemen---

I think it's time to simply say, "We'll see and hope for the best!"

Facts are obviously not enough to change anyone's mind. It only proves that, given enough "facts" anyone is capable of rationalizing themself into a position honoring their mind already made up.

Mine is not, but the logic beyond facts tells me we certainly can change this planet to the point it invites us off.

Walk carefully---so very carefully---when you get greedy with Mother Earth. She will always win!!!!!!

David---I would advise you to get out the directions for the Ark. You might really need them!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Edwards » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 pm

David: // ... it's is impossible for man to control climate changes. \\

I would like to see your reason(s). I believe the Bible, if you have a nice Bible reason or six.
:angel:
( for the physical Millennial Messianic Reign of Jesus )

-- Ed Edwards, AGW Dude
(AGW = Anthropogenic Global Warming)
Ed Edwards

Postby Ed Edwards » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Ed Edwards

Postby Ed Edwards » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 pm

KeithE: // You see Global Warming is not just some prediction that will hit our grandkids, it is with us NOW! \\

Yes, you are correct. "Look up serious works on "desertification" and see what is happening.
Anyway, this morning of 11 Aug 2011 it rained like ½-inch in my back yard. Some lightening and thunder. Some places in Oklahoma got some 90-MPH winds that tend to tear some stuff down.

Mat 5:44-45 (KJV1769ish type edition, e-sword.com)
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you,
do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully
use you, and persecute you
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven:
for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good,
and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Yep, it rained on my yard (good) and the yard of the mean ol' guy behind me who keeps a
female huge dog with attitude (DWA) who jumps fence. Then when i replace the fence,
he doesn't help pay for it. Ha!

Praise the Lord we neighbors good & ill got a bit of rain. And this morning was the coolest
morning of the summer of 2011 where i live: 72°F -- warmer inside than outside ;-)
[but the all time record coolest 11 Aug was 58°F -- due to Global Warming, of course ;-) ]
Ed Edwards

Postby Ed Edwards » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Gene: // The wise farmer never keeps tilling the soil and raising crops
without adding nutrients back with proper fertilization. It's called "CONSERVATION!!!" \\

I do not understand why people with conservative religion
and conservative politics, forget conservation???
When I lived in a dry county in the panhandle of Texas (majority of voters were
Southern Baptists) -- they proved CONSERVATION of natural (God made, you know)
resources from the Bible.
Ed Edwards

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues