[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What's wrong with the economy?

What's wrong with the economy?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: What's wrong with the economy?

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:26 am

As I look at the economy, one of the things that bothers me is that neither party in Washington seems to be bothering with the good of the country. Both parties are already trying to score talking points for the faithful supporters for the 2012 elections. I thought they were elected to govern for the common good, not just run for the next election.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:46 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:16 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:33 am

Have fun at lake knowing that (on average) you and all your workmates get 1% of the growth of your company (if it managed any) towards higher wages. Of course bonuses and perks could add to that but whose perks have been added to lately? - as your AT&T, Verizon story demonstrates*. No most growth goes to business coffers (88%) and to CEO's/top officials who just last year alone received an average of 27% increase in wages.

*Yeah I know the point you were making is that ObamaCare's penalty for no medical coverage is far less than than the cost of that coverage. That shows yet another flaw in that bill and is in line with lack of ACCOUNTABILITY which is exactly what businesses in general want with support coming thru the RW political machine. BTW, I'm no supporter of ObamaCare - it was hashed out by the medical businesses (insurance, hospitals, pharmaceuticals) in a government-led caucus for their own sake (it is not for the people or by the people) - single payer advocates were denied a voice in those conversations. The health insurance industry got 48M new customers, Big Pharma got a promise of no competition from foreign drug makers, and the hospital industry got a pledge of no anti-trust action. We need a single-payer / universal coverage system that reduces medical costs by 50% like most of the civilized world has managed to do with improved health outcomes over that of the US.

Here's another TOTAL MYTH - deregulated, laisse-fare, free markets always create the optimal growth rate and is best for all involved. Those that believe that, are just letting their companies and their government (in tandem) screw them. So again have fun at the lake.
Last edited by KeithE on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:41 am

ET----

When they replace you with a computer program run by someone at half your wages---maybe you will believe the Republicans aren't for the average working man!!!!

How much have they reduced YOUR personal taxes, man???????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:07 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:46 am

One of the things of which I am conscious is that we do not, as a society, engender a work ethic in our society as a whole any more. I realize I am dating myself, but when I reached 12 or 13, I was cutting grass in my neighborhood. One year, I had a yard for every day in the week. Now, in my neighborhood, families with teenage children pay lawn services to come cut the grass, prune the shrubs, and weed the flowerbeds. At 16, many of my generation had jobs after school for a few hours on certain days of the week and on Saturdays. There are certainly working teens, but the majority do not seem to be directed into such pursuits. We do not want our kids to have to suffer as we did. We then have failed to teach the ethic of work as important, a way of dignity, and as a way of contributing to society. The loss of that seems harmful to the purposes of society as a whole. I realize that the work ethic can be overdone, but it seems to have been lost on much of a generation whom we have taught to be consumers of items and entertainment but not to be workers and entrepreneurs. That is not a governmental issue but one that seems to have its roots in families.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:22 am

My experience is different. I got a job at my city newspaper from the time I was 10 (delivery boy) and then again at another newspaper when we moved a few miles away (delivery boy and sportswriter) from 14-18. Then I was off to college and had as many as 3 jobs simultaneously. But that was rare among my peers in the 1960-72 timeframe on the West Coast.

These days in Hunstville (at least when my kids were in HS 1993-2000), all the HS students who could find summertime work got it and were ostracized if they didn't. My son started a lawn mowing service (4 employees and equipment) and my son-in-law started his career (lighting for concerts) while still in HS. My daughter and most her friends (not the creme of the crop) had summer jobs.

Usually I agree with David's sage comments, but this one is decidedly not in my experience. But cultures do vary by locale.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 am

Us "stupid Southerners" were taught: get a good education / work hard / be thrifty / be honest and you will succeed!

Whatever happened to the "good guys" who solved problems and kicked out the bad guys every 30 minutes on our Saturday shows????

Answer: "Bevis and Butthead!!!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby ET » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:56 am

Last edited by ET on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:08 am

Republicans want the working masses so they can tax them while letting their rich buddies off!!!!

Now am I making more sense?????
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:35 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Keep on dodging, Jim---I'm putting the ball closer to you with every pitch!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 am

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Three good curve balls from a left-handed pitcher strikes him out!!!!! :wave:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby David Flick » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:34 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:24 am

Congratulations, Ed----now you can ride away swiftly on a horse to stay out of my target area!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:42 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:28 pm

:horse: I may be the "newbie"---but Jesus said, "The last shall be first and the first shall be last!!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:23 pm

According to the Lexington Herald-Leader of today, the Obama administration is making good on its promise regarding putting coal-fired generators out of business and making the rates skyrocket in the process. Rates will increase by 20% in the next five years in Kentucky account new EPA regulations, not laws. It’s the “czar syndrome.” Some of the older plants will be closed. This comes as the unemployment rate ratchets back up to 9.2%, with only 18,000 jobs created in June, apparently not nearly enough to offset layoffs. Until the administration changes, there will be no risk-takers creating jobs or re-hiring in old ones since Obama means to kill the capitalist system.
Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:35 am

:horse: Let's blame it all on the President!!!!

Obama got us into an expensive and endless war in the Middle East.
He is making all the rich and corporate money-receivers keep it and refuse to expand industry nor hire anyone new.
He is singly responsible for Global Warming and Polution.

Kill the Black Muslim B******!!!! :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues