[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What's wrong with the economy?

What's wrong with the economy?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: What's wrong with the economy?

Postby KeithE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:53 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 am

Jim

Postby ET » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:10 pm

Last edited by ET on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby ET » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:27 pm

Methinks thou doest protest too much ET---methinks thou doest deflect too much, Jim!!!!

All economic "theories" involve more mathmatics than heart and ethics.

Shall we keep it simple: "What contributes most to the welfare of the most people????"

I think what's wrong with the economy is:
(1) a selfish attitude by the "haves" to have more
(2) a bunch of legislators whose only motive is to get re-elected / get rich / get so secure they have no future worries as to where their money comes from = from the rich whose bidding they do!!!!

Is this the "way of Christ, the servant of all," or is it the way of the Pharisee, "the ruler of all????"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:10 am

The subject of the thread has to do with what’s wrong with the economy, not with whether or not various individuals and groups are naughty or nice with respect to “ethical” requirements pertaining thereto, whatever anyone says those ethics or requirements are. There certainly is not and never will be consensus with respect to how much the producers are supposed to have taken away from them and given to the non-producers. From a purely financial standpoint, the non-producers (essentially those living on the entitlements, whether in or out of jail) have a great deal to do with what’s wrong with the economy. From one purely ethical standpoint regarding equality, it is unfair to the producers (taxpayers) to make them support the now-permanent underclass in this country, thanks to the well-intentioned but degrading entitlements enacted in the 1960s. If the equality ethic is to be derived from scripture, one must wonder about II Thessalonians 3:10, wherein Paul states that the non-worker must also be a non-eater.

What’s done is done and can’t be easily undone, though the effort at welfare reform was partly successful in the 90s. This has nothing to do with the vulnerable (old people, sick people, the poor, children of druggies, etc.). By contrast, as the statistics keep worsening with regard to births of babies without fathers of record (71-75% of blacks; 30% of whites), the national financial problem will worsen since most of these women and children at some point will become, at least to some extent, wards of the state. If it weren’t for most of the 57 million or so abortions since 1973, the problem would be infinitely worse.

In hindsight, one can wonder at the 60s entitlements and, later, things like Medicare. I’m a recipient of Medicare provisions. Both of these programs (probably enacted in response to an “ethic”) are now bankrupting the country, even though Medicare recipients pay or have paid into the program for decades. Obamacare will exacerbate the problem exponentially. Reason: Once the government enters any area, the smart ones will immediately find ways to exploit any program and become inordinately wealthy. That which belongs to everyone actually belongs to no one, so “get it while you can before it goes broke” is the prevailing wisdom.

All of this is cultural/societal stuff and is essentially a drag. The economy will be corrected, if ever, when things are once again made in this country and people put to work in making them, without government regulations stifling the efforts, as is the case now.
Jim

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:39 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Jim---

I will be more direct than David---your statement is full of hooie!!!!

I sat on Title XX funding---and it was the 70's, not the 60's. It was supposed to be a one shot leg up to get people out of poverty and into productivity = :horse:

So now that we are on the 5th generation of porch monkey non-productivity and the same now wanting joint replacement at Medicare / Medicaide expense for their over-burdened 300-500 pound carcuses, I advocate a more direct approach: work the same 40 hour week as I do with whatever implement you are mentally capable of using and if you can't figure a way to not have a 3rd child under welfare, then have your tubes tied after the 2nd as part of Medicare!

We can't afford the excesses of Welfare or foreign warfare anymore---and that is the heart of an ethical approach when the practical one is a total failure to produce results. How I wish I had half the brains used to scam the system pretending to be just a "dumb and mistreated ex-slave / imigrant!!!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Jim, buddy---

Congratulations---you beat me there by many a mile!!!!

I bow to your superior skills of logic and debate. :wave:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:11 am

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:06 am

Cute----but totally senseless over what we should do with Public Healthcare!!

I just reached the "magic 65." Doctors and hospitals aren't satisfied with the payment and I am encouraged to take a "Medicare Supplement" approach under my wife's group health plan with Nash General Hospital (Summit is the Network / PPO).

So is the economy suffering from our version of Public Healthcare?

Can anyone tell me the EXACT nature of "Obamacare" which is the dreaded Republican ENEMY OF THEIR VERSION OF THE ECONOMY---which kinda failed under Georgie Bush!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:08 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Jim---

A friend of mine in Ghana just had an unexpected heart problem over blocked coronary arteries. The stint procedure cost $1500 there. This friend got the same care we do here in America, but at a fraction of the cost.

Can you explain the difference?

Are Doctors and those related to healthcare getting rich or what?

My wife works in the Physical Therapy Department as a Technician. That hospital is constantly re-working everything from the facility to the carpet. They replace carpet which is no more than 5 years old. They have spent exorbitant amounts of money replacing computers which still are capable of handling the load just to have new stuff---yet they are downsizing the staff and overworking those who remain. Are they in business to help people or to look good so the Administrator gets a building named for him?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 am

Last edited by Jim on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Jim---

PLEASE---define "Obamacare."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:44 am

Jim is full of gibberish
His thoughts must not be liberish
His verse is full of stupidish
Because he has no clue.

He sucks up to Republicans
Who claim to be Conservativans
They give the rich tax breaks
Refuse to help us working fools.

I'm sick of seeing so many words
From fools to cover their sick rules
My ancesters in England knew
When taxes them did screw.

So when you can be more concise
I to you will be nice
Until that time and explicant
I consider your best to be-----A RANT!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:37 am

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 am

Jim---

I used to play "burn out" with my baseball buddies. You throw the ball as hard as you can and if he throws it back harder, you try to burn him more. The secret is to catch that fast ball in the glove away from you hand or you walk away with a bruised hand.

So, when I put the left-handed curving ball at you (or my famous curving tennis serve) be looking hard and don't let me hit you in the kneecaps. I'm a pretty strong, but fair competitor and that's just the way God made me!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Jim--

A rather obtruse way of saying, "If I kick you in the nuts you will do the same!"

It's for sure we are both good Baptists who would rather win than forgive and get along!!!!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Jim

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:01 am

General statement, Jim---about the nature of Baptists.

You and I have no real beef---just some differences of opinion which makes life interesting.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues