[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Financial Firms Malfeasance

Financial Firms Malfeasance

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Financial Firms Malfeasance

Postby KeithE » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Financial Firms Malfeasance

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:40 am

Isn't it amazing that what was meant for good to help the economy----instead, with proper tax advisors---was turned into a way to just make the corporations and their big cheeses more rich and well-off!!!

If anyone believes in "trickle down economics" still, then they need to ask why all GM products were not 61% reduced to us taxpayers who owned just that much of GM.

What would have happened if greed did not reign in the Board Room:
*a rush on the dealerships for the "deal of the century"
*a quick depletion of inventory to the point more units are ordered within a week
*calling in workers all over the country to produce new units
*reactivating all the sub-assembly operations who call in even more workers
*workers able now to pay the mortgage and not lose their homes
*all the stores and places they did business are full again and taking "closed" signs off their door

This is just the tip of the iceburg IF greedy people saw our tax money taken with threat of imprisonment if we don't pay or garnished wages at the least---as the initial providers of the money they are now using for a new corporate jet and a foreign office in Dubai!!!

Do the concept on welfare turned into workfare when those who get the WIC coupons have to do public service work for the same 40-hour week the taxpayer who provides it does. Fire the companies and machines mowing roadsides / add multiple clean-up-the-roadside crews to the prisoners now doing it / men applying materials to pot-holed roads so cars don't tear up tires and alignments / bridges and dams repaired so they don't fall down / you can imagine many more results for the public good.

We have the book already written by FDR and the Depression----but it's not a "Depression"---just becoming now the "Great Recession!" For the small businessmen I know, we are in a 30-70% reduction-of-income mode for the last 4 years with us now half into the 5th! I wrote both my Senators along these lines and didn't even get an acknowledgement.

History is repeating itself. The rules and regulations of things like Derivitives were NOT enforced under the Bush Administration. We are in a war more expensive than WWII or Viet Nam. What could a small business do with the $1M cost of a single Tomahawk missile launched on Lybia---as if we are obligated to mess with them in addition to all the other Middle Eastern countries we are messing with?

The Depression problems were initially solved by government support of the most plenteous small business in America in the 1930's = the Family Farm and the Soil Bank. If you start at the citizen level (where average people don't like debt), you avoid the looming debt over massive expenditures of tax dollars ($10 for every $1 taken in). And we haven't even mentioned the many large corporations paying little or nothing in earnings taxes nor local property taxes!

Does anyone feel a pain at the pump? How much are they paying vs. how much they are getting in "tax incentives?"

Kieth, you done stopped preaching and gone to meddling!!!!!

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Isn't it strange how this excellent and honest post is getting NO REPLIES????

Com-on, ET---give us your best Conservative Republican / Tea Party shot!!!!

We both know you are looking and thinking!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:27 pm

W.I.C. stands for Women, Infants and Children. Those coupons can only be redeemed for a limited choice of specific nutritious foods for babies, small children and nursing mothers. Who's going to pay for a babysitter while said women go out and do "Public Service" projects to earn them, Gene? I have never met a low-income mother of small children that didn't already have her days and nights pretty full taking care of her little ones.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:54 pm

I am all for encouraging people off welfare and onto honest work, but I saw some of the falacies with the "welfare to work initiatives" in the past. In rural areas, people can often find jobs, but those jobs are 10 to 30 miles away. For people who do not have cars and for whom there is no public transportation, there is no way for them to take those jobs. We have no American infrastructure outside our cities to allow people to commute without private motor vehicles. Any suggestions for this one?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:29 am

I sat on the first Title XX Funds in the early 70's in SC. Just yesterday, I met a BAT transport van which stands for Beaufort Area Transport. This is a somewhat rural area and many vans run people to the Dr. / grocery store / etc. There is absolutely NO REASON such services already provided cannot get people to jobs!

WIC is the general designation for "food stamps" these days. Every woman with a child got such with a man around---who too often is sitting on a porch or walking the streets messing with drugs and crime in Rocky Mount and points east. I have been in grocery stores where a person is paying for fantastic meats and goods far more than I can afford as a working man. Now we have people weighing 300+ pounds wanting Medicare/Medicaide to pay for joint replacements. The simple solution is to get out with a tool and work it off in fresh air and sunshine!!!! I swung a swingblade in the hot GA sun to get money for college. The pity party won't work with me!!!!!

Forget about those women. PUT THE MEN TO WORK in constructive public works projects which are much needed.

I'm sure a little thought can replace the mindlessness of "public assistance" which now has a 4-5 generation repeat of the same bull = "I'm too _____________________(fill in the blank) to work 40 hours a week. I even have people on "disability" seeking to work for me!!!! It's a BS world when black churches here spend the morning in worship and the afternoon explaining the next trick in paperwork to get "public assistance." I'm tired of it. It was initially meant as a help to get you out of poverty. After 4-5 generations, I'm at the point of simply saying, "Either work or starve---your choice!"

Bleeding hearts are bleeding the taxpayers dry while our infrastructure rots away!!!! Our President is the only right color to accomplish this great goal of having ever able bodied American working rather than sitting into an eternity of Welfare. Do we have the guts to face this crisis with a solution or not?????????????????????????

Belive me as I live in the middle or it----WIC is just another acronym for "We Invite Corruption." Those stamps are traded on the black market for everything from licquor to drugs! One is naive to think they can only be used for women / infants / children. The crativity of people and merchants using them is enough to have invented a perpetual motion machine already. The poor are not stupid. They are working in the most creative ways I have ever seen to cheat the system!!!!
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Tue May 03, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue May 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue May 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed May 04, 2011 5:42 am

I know those who carpool and it works. The large groups that used to go to factory shifts are largely gone. Now jobs are often at odd hours in WalMart of the fast-food jungle. Much harder than when folks worked one of three shifts.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu May 05, 2011 5:57 am

I also know the value to taking a bus getting to work. Now, people think they must have a car in traffic jams to have their freedom of transportation. It's foolish for any individual to want it all and care less who suffers in the process.

Again, it's Jesus' observation that the "LOVE of money is the root of all evil."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues