[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Happy Groundhog's day to all!

Happy Groundhog's day to all!

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Happy Groundhog's day to all!

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:29 pm

I'd like to wish all Baptistlifers a joyous and festive Groundhog's Day. Particularly those who are dealing with a huge dumping of snow and cold weather. Stay safe and warm, if you can! :wave:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Re: Happy Groundhog's day to all!

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:07 pm

I never really "got" Groundhog day, growing up in Arizona and having lived in the southern half of the US for most of my life, where winter is a matter of just a few days, maybe a few frosty mornings and some dustings of snow every now and then. Feb. 2 is meaningless when the end of winter is just a calendar date and you can wear shorts and short sleeves long before mid-March. Now, I live about an hour's drive from Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney, and I can almost hear "hear ye, hear ye." We've had six to eight inches of snow on the ground continuously since Dec. 1, except for a couple of days, the snow pile in the front yard where I've shoveled the driveway a dozen times is probably three feet high, and we've had four days during that time when the daytime high exceeded 32.

I get it now.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:20 pm

On the second day of Imbolc, the marmot said to me,
etc.

Happy Candlemas and all the other iterations.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Tomorrow is (節分) in Japan.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

I discovered Andie Macdowell

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:59 pm

The actress in Groundog Day.
She was Rosie at the time.

If Ms Haruo hasn't heard the story I will repeat it for her some time.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Go ahead, Foxy, Repeat. 8)
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:12 am

According to the best scientific studies (U of PA and others) the PA groundhog is right 39% of the time. That makes him 61% wrong, but it's fun to watch people drag the befuddled critter out of his den and have a little winter amusement. It's their exercise in hope that winter will someday end.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 am

Tim Bonney

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

In the Midwest, you only have pararie dogs, not groundhogs, as far as I know.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:54 am

Mebbie they is called "Squinties" cause they squint when they comes outta the ground?? When I was a kid, the woods was full of gopher holes, and we kids would get together and dig "Camps" in vacant lots, which were mostly wooded around here, and a "camp" was basically a kid sized gopher hole dug with whatever tools you could come up with, then covered with whatever scrap lumber you could find. The big project was getting a hole dug big enough and covered over before it started raining again and the hole was to wet and nasty a mess to play in. Just come home in time for dinner, dear. :lol:
Mrs Haruo

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues