[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Congressional Reform Act of 2011

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Congressional Reform Act of 2011

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Haruo:
I have seen this before. I passed it (with my "amen") along to several friends. I support term limits. Congress should not be a "career".
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Congressional Reform Act of 2011

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:21 pm

[quote="Haruo"]One of my AA oldtimers, who frequently sends me anti-Islamic quasi-patriotic stuff that I delete after a brief moment of anger at him, just forwarded me this, most if not all of which strikes me as a very reasonable way to cause revolution; what do you all think?[quote]

1. "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the
people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Abraham Lincoln

Ed: A google search disputes this. According to several posters there is no documentation; Many claim documentation for it having originated with P.T. Barnum.

2. The 26th amendment to the Constitution (granting the right to vote for
18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple!
Because the people demanded it. That was in 1971... before computers,
before e-mail, before cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less
to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.

I'm asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty
people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the
message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

Ed : OK

1. Term Limits.

12 years only, one of the possible options below..

A. Two Six-year Senate terms

B. Six Two-year House terms

C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms

Ed: Term limits should be set only at the ballot box by the voters in the area represented.

2. No Tenure / No Pension.

A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when
they are out of office.

Ed; NO!

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social
Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social
Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.

Ed: NO!

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all
Americans do.

Ed: Not all Americans Purchase their own retirement plan

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional
pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

Ed; And if the CPI goes up 5%, they are out 2%. No Thanks.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in
the same health care system as the American people.

Ed: I am not in favor of any current overall health care system

7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American
people.

[color=#008000]Ed: Convince me that they do not

8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective
1/1/11.

The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.
Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers
envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then
go home and back to work.

Ed: Our founding father had no vision of the complexities in today's world.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only
take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message.
Maybe it is time.

Ed: Far too simplistic.

He is saying Do it my way or do not participate, very undemocratic.
Ed Pettibone

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues