[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Did 'Shrooms Send Santa And His Reindeer Flying?

Did 'Shrooms Send Santa And His Reindeer Flying?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Did 'Shrooms Send Santa And His Reindeer Flying?

Postby RyanHale » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:02 am

I don't know where to put this one so I'll just post it here.

Simple science, some history and some logic may explain some of the holiday decorations and lore. Did psychedelic mushrooms and the Santa story gradually weave itself into popular culture over the last 200 years? Well, it looks like it ... or it is at least something to think about.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/24/132260025 ... eer-flying

Click on the Listen to the Story link at the top of the page for the audio version.
RyanHale

Re: Did 'Shrooms Send Santa And His Reindeer Flying?

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:34 am

Maybe Santa has mastered time travel or has found wormholes from one house to the next.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 am

I didn't take time to read all the comments (118 of 'em) in the NPR story, but I wondered if anybody suggested that, in additon to Lewis Carrol, Sinclair Lewis, and Clement Moore, St. John the Divine was on the same kind of high when writing his treatise on the Revelaton?
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Rudolph is a definite Christ figure. When he said "Get thee behind me, Santa" it took only a little dyslexia on the part of Matthew (the evangelist) to …

Just dyslexia, no fungi needed.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby RyanHale » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:40 am

RyanHale

Postby Haruo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:18 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:15 pm

Tim Bonney

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:53 pm

:P I left "Left Behind" behind. Get me behind me, Santa indeed. And I have a very merry Chris Moose. He is now my Styling Moose for the rest of the year. A wooden reindeer basket that makes a great place to keep my hair dryer, hair brushes and love beads. Groovy. Far out. 8)
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby David Flick » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:00 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:07 pm

(cue music) "He's got spurs that jingle jangle jingle........" Like the column in Reader's Digest: "Laughter is the Best Medicine", Being married to Haruo is gooood thereapy! :lol:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 am

Haruo's mention of Hugh Schonfield's "The Passover Plot" reminds me that while I was in 'Nam in 1976-77 with the 9th Marine Amphibious Brigade, our general challenged me to read the account of how Jesus manipulated the whole process of his crucifixion to make it come about as proof of his Messiahship. Upon reading the book, I drew the conclusion that Schonfield offered proof of his theory as if he was a true Biblical inerrantist, accepting justification for his theories by believing that every Biblical account of a conversation was the exact presentation of what was said, by whom and when it was said under what circumstances, thus proving the efficacy of his conclusions.

Amid a lengthy list of his publications, Schonfield also wrote "Those Incredible Christians," written with the same premise in mind that the early apostles followed the duplicate conspiratorial aspects of the earlier work. I still have a copy of the second book (someplace).

Schonfield's accounts are further proof of the observation that "Every historian is a revisionist historian."
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues