Variation on "Ask not..."

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:14 am

LeeAnn Hanson, this morning on NPR, promoting an upcoming story about the upcoming Congressioinal election.

"Ask not what you can do for your country; Ask what you can do for your District."

My idea of a "good Congressman" is one who does what's best for the United States of America, whether or not it is good for his district. He must vote his conscience. If he doesn't get re-elected, then so be it. Congress is not a life-long career. It is a two-year appointment (by the people).
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris
 
Posts: 4157
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: Newport News, VA

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby KeithE » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 am

Chris wrote:LeeAnn Hanson, this morning on NPR, promoting an upcoming story about the upcoming Congressioinal election.

"Ask not what you can do for your country; Ask what you can do for your District."

My idea of a "good Congressman" is one who does what's best for the United States of America, whether or not it is good for his district. He must vote his conscience. If he doesn't get re-elected, then so be it. Congress is not a life-long career. It is a two-year appointment (by the people).


My idea of a good Congressperson is one who does what's best for people no matter what country.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm

For good or for ill, the late Senator Robert Byrd of WV was the supreme example of the confusion in roles. After Byrd became a progressive voice in the 1970's, he became one of the champions of most Democratic ideas. Yet, he was the "King of Pork." All over the state he represented are things bearing his name (from highways to libraries to recreation centers). All of them were tucked into bills he helped to craft to bring this home. He kept get elected, even when his ideas often didn't sqare with many of his constituents because he gained so much for his state. It's a difficult role to be in.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6928
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:...he was the "King of Pork." All over the state he represented are things bearing his name (from highways to libraries to recreation centers). All of them were tucked into bills he helped to craft to bring this home.


..even a naval installation in West Virginia. Let's see -- what ocean is that on?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris
 
Posts: 4157
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: Newport News, VA

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby Gary » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Chris wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:...he was the "King of Pork." All over the state he represented are things bearing his name (from highways to libraries to recreation centers). All of them were tucked into bills he helped to craft to bring this home.


..even a naval installation in West Virginia. Let's see -- what ocean is that on?


Naval detachments in Oklahoma as well. The Navy version of AWACS in also based at Tinker AFB.

Believe you'll find Naval 'bases' in many places not touching an ocean.

Gary
__________________________________________________________
Gary Skaggs, Norman, OK
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
User avatar
Gary
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:30 am

Gary wrote:Naval detachments in Oklahoma as well.


Who is YOUR pork-loving Congressman?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris
 
Posts: 4157
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: Newport News, VA

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby Gary » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:37 am

Chris wrote:
Gary wrote:Naval detachments in Oklahoma as well.


Who is YOUR pork-loving Congressman?


The current 4th District representative is Tom Cole. Previously it was Julius Caesar Watts. Our Senators are Jim Inhofe and Tom Coburn.

I voted for none of them. Proudly.

Gary
__________________________________________________________
Gary Skaggs, Norman, OK
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
User avatar
Gary
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Norman, Oklahoma

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:57 am

It's like last week. On Tuesday at work we received a fax from Rep. Randy Forbes extolling the need to cut federal spending to the bone to stop the runaway train wreck of fiscal irresponsibility. On Wednesday, he voted to spend $33-billion more in Afghanistan. Is there any contradiction in those two positions?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6928
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:37 am

Dave Roberts wrote:It's like last week. On Tuesday at work we received a fax from Rep. Randy Forbes extolling the need to cut federal spending to the bone to stop the runaway train wreck of fiscal irresponsibility. On Wednesday, he voted to spend $33-billion more in Afghanistan. Is there any contradiction in those two positions?


Not a contradiction but impaired judgment, imo. The counterproductive wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are the most obvious, imo, place to save federal money. Counterproductive in that they promote anti-american feelings and thereby are a driving force of terrorism againts us, which is counter tho the supposed purpose of each war. Ending the wars would save an estimated $120B/year (after pullout)
Image
Second place to save federal $s is to end the tax avoidance of corporate profits by offshoring, saving ~$100B/year
The Taxpayer Cost of Offshore Corporate Tax Havens

Of course extending the Bush tax cuts (30% of which go to the highest 2% of income earners [$250K/year for joint filers]) will add additional deficit pressure to the tune of $83B/year (for Obama plan of ending cuts to only the 2%)
Cost of extending tax cuts
We estimate, using Congressional Budget Office and Joint Committee on Tax projections, that maintaining the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest 2 percent of Americans will directly reduce revenues by about $690 billion over the next 10 years.* But the true cost of those tax cuts is actually a bit bigger than that.

The cost of those tax cuts is going to go straight onto our national credit card unless we raise taxes from everyone else to pay for the $690 billion in tax breaks for the rich or we find $690 billion in spending cuts. And that means increased interest payments on the debt. When we add in the costs of additional debt service, the true price of maintaining the tax cuts for the wealthy jumps by almost $140 billion.** In total, keeping those cuts for the rich will cost almost $830 billion over the next 10 years
.

Getting Congress or the President to do evoke these savings measures are not happening due to the corporate/the rich stranglehold over our government via the need to raise campaign funds.

My perscription: Promote campaign finance reform, get out of the wars ASAP, reduce the military budget by 10% (~$70B/year saved), end offshoring and other forms of corporate/personal tax avoidance, and let the Bush tax cuts expire for the wealthiest 5% [$140K/year] saving ~ $138B/year tax revenue. Then after the dust settles, refigure a progresssive tax rate system commensurate with the rise in income inequality we have seen in the last 30 years to balance the books or convert to a FairTax approach with a generous prebate to cover the needs of our poor.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Variation on "Ask not..."

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:01 am

I'm intrigued by the logic that goes on in Washington in both parties. No one seems to take responsiblilty these days for doing anything that will risk their incumbancy.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6928
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA


Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron