Can Soccer and the World Cup Save the World??

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Can Soccer and the World Cup Save the World??

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:13 am

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... apartheid/

And Consider the Clint Demspey profile in SI.com by Segura; Dempsey two years at the once Baptist affiliated Furman.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Can Soccer and the World Cup Save the World??

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Not occurring to Glen Beck and other RW commentators.

Conservative media declare war on soccer
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: It's stupid to think it can.

Postby ET » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:22 pm

I kept this commentary about a similar notion when it was touted by S.I.'s Rick Reilly a couple of years ago: We Cannot Solve The World's Problems With A Soccer Ball, by Ben Shapiro. From 2007:
The sports press plays this same tune every four years, with the advent of the World Cup. ESPN ran an ad during the 2006 World Cup in which U2's Bono gravely informed the audience: "It's a simple thing. Just a ball and a goal. But once every four years that simple thing drastically changes the world. It closes the schools, closes the shops, closes the city, stops a war. A simple ball fuels the passion and pride of nations, gives people everywhere something to hope for, gives countries respect where respect is in short supply and achieves more than the politicians ever could. Once every four years a ball does the impossible."

This, of course, is nonsense.....
Glorification of sports above all else -- sports as unifying factor, bringing men together to celebrate our common humanity -- is an egregious misreading of the value of sports. Sports, at the end of the day, are entertainment.
Yet Sports Illustrated and ESPN say that sports transcend politics. One gets the feeling that had Sports Illustrated been founded in the early 1930s, rather than in 1954, it would have run feature articles describing the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany as a celebration bringing people together, transcending morality. Jesse Owens would have been portrayed as just another participant in a greater cross-cultural gathering, rather than a demonstrable proof of Nazi evil.

Then World War II would have broken out, and the editors of Sports Illustrated would have realized that good and evil remain, even after the medals are bestowed. That it takes more than running and jumping and throwing and kicking to unify us. That a soccer ball is no substitute for a common morality.

And for goodness sake, Keith, four sound bite quotes about the World Cup and soccer constitutes "conservative media declare war on soccer"? And who can blame them? Even with what little news I've watched or read, the World Cup silliness most certainly is a matter of attempting to force-feed the American public on a sport with which it has little knowledge or interest. I imagine the lack of American interest in soccer spans much of the political spectrum. The most interesting thing about soccer is the latest story on who rioted or got trampled cause their team got beat.

Besides, one of the best reasons to not care about soccer is that the Europeans do. :D As I tell my kids and my parents told me, "just because everybody else is doing it doesn't mean you have to."

All three of my kids played soccer at one time or another. Thankfully, they all outgrew it. :)

Strange it is, however, that a "theologian" would write an article that would attempt to give some merit to a zipped up bag of air to change the condition of the human heart and/or the political or social conditions that arise out of the depravity of it.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:29 pm

ET wrote:the World Cup silliness most certainly is a matter of attempting to force-feed the American public on a sport with which it has little knowledge or interest.

Well I guess you are the fifth sound bite from cons, to declare with Glenn Beck that " we don't want the World Cup, we don't like the World Cup, we don't like soccer, we want nothing to do with it."

I'll coin a word for such atitudes: Americo-centric

Apparently the ratings were 75-80% higher than 4 years ago.
Ratings

While soccer will not save the world, it is becoming more popular even here in the USA, especially among the young.

And I did watch much of the Uruguay/France 0-0 tie and some of the US/Engkland 1-1 tie and found it interesting. But I find the Lakers/Celtics more interesting.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:00 pm

KeithE wrote:
ET wrote:the World Cup silliness most certainly is a matter of attempting to force-feed the American public on a sport with which it has little knowledge or interest.

Well I guess you are the fifth sound bite from cons, to declare with Glenn Beck that " we don't want the World Cup, we don't like the World Cup, we don't like soccer, we want nothing to do with it."

Ratings

While soccer will not save the world, it is becoming more popular even here in the USA, especially among the young.

And I did watch much of the Uruguay/France 0-0 tie and some of the US/Engkland 1-1 tie and found it interesting. But I find the Lakers/Celtics more interesting.

Ed: I have nothing against Soccer But I agree with those who would ban the South African horn that sound like a swarm of angry bees. If I had my way soccer (and all other organized sports) would be ban in Public parks on Sunday Mornings. Lacrosse is also very popular in our area. And the (Burnt Hills - Ballston lake High School), recently won the High School Nationals, in Rowing.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 pm

You're at church on Sunday mornings. Why should you care what people are doing in public parks in the Sunday am????
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Thank the good Lord we don't live in an Ed-ocracy...
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby KeithE » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:36 am

Ed Pettibone wrote: I have nothing against Soccer But I agree with those who would ban the South African horn that sound like a swarm of angry bees.

Agreed.
Ed wrote:If I had my way soccer (and all other organized sports) would be ban in Public parks on Sunday Mornings.

Agreed but wouldn't fall on my sword about it.
Ed wrote:Lacrosse is also very popular in our area. And the (Burnt Hills - Ballston lake High School), recently won the High School Nationals, in Rowing

Who cares other than Burnt Hills.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 am

KeithE wrote:

Ratings

For someone who desires to deal in FACTs so much, I don't know why you find my statements so "Americo-centric". The fact of the matter is that soccer is largely a game for kids -- many, if not most, of them below the age of 12 -- here in this country. As I stated, my kids played it and I had no problem with that. I didn't talk bad about the sport or discourage them from playing it. When one gets to high school and college, soccer falls into that catch-all category of sports that most people don't care about except for those enjoying participating and friends and/or relatives of the participants.

But nor do I completely agree with Beck. There are at last some Americans who watch the World Cup, like the World Cup and like the game of soccer, but don't even begin to tell me that even with a "75-80%" jump in ratings (to a measly 4 million people) that such numbers justify the hype and coverage. The Super Bowl drew 106 million people. The World Series averages around 19 million and the NCAA finals pull in around 25 million, and that's JUST for the championship games. How many professional soccer leagues have failed in this country and empty seats outnumber filled ones at almost any given soccer match.

So if you want to deal in FACTS, then Beck is right. Given viewership and attendance at soccer games at any meaningful level of competition in this country, American's don't like soccer and they don't care for it. If that's "Americo-centric", then so be it.

But even so, going back to the original idea in the article, it's almost ludicrous to even entertain the idea of "can soccer and the world cup save the world?". The same airheads blow the same hot air about the Olympics every 2 years now, over-dramatizing what is essentially meaningless play for adults (as far as solving the world's problems). It's one thing for secular media to indulge in such silliness, but for Christians who believe what the Bible teaches about the sin nature of man and the depravity of the human heart, it's almost incomprehensible to think that a GAME can do one drop of benefit for "saving the world".
ET

Postby KeithE » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Around the world soccer is very popular. Probably the most popular sport. But not in the US. That is why I call you and Glen Beck "Americo-centric" at least on this factor. That's facts.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Here in the deep South soccer is going strong at the High School level, not just among pre-teens. My son, who turns 29 this summer was an avid player throughout HS, playing in a school league for half the year and another league the other half. In fact, most of the youth in our church play soccer, not another sport. It has become a source of conflict with regular church activities, which is a sure sign it is not just some incidental sport. :)

I suspect it will continue to grow in popularity for the foreseeable future, and give the other sports a run for their money.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:33 pm

KeithE wrote:Around the world soccer is very popular. Probably the most popular sport. But not in the US. That is why I call you and Glen Beck "Americo-centric" at least on this factor. That's facts.

Why just Beck and me? The vast majority of 310 million people in this country make that same statement with their viewing habits and attendance, which you apparently classify as "Americo-centric" . Just because "the world" likes it doesn't mean it's worth our attention or that we are somehow xenophobes because we don't decide to take up the sport with the same passion.

Twenty or thirty years from now the U.S. may end up as stupidly obsessed with the world cup as we are with other games such as the super bowl or world series or "march madness", but for now it's just a second or third tier attraction. Won't bother me if it grows in popularity, although for the life of me I can't understand how a sport sooooo boring can get so popular. I'm sure, as some have pointed out, it's because it doesn't take much money to play the game, which benefits many people around the world since you don't need bats or helmets or any specialized equipment to get started.

Oh, man!! The Slovenians blew it!!!! :( :D
ET

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:41 pm

I heard one of the experts explaining the other day that Americans make great goalies (maybe the best...I don't remember) because they grow up learning how to catch the ball with their HANDS.
Jim

Postby ET » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Oops.
ET

sacred soccer

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:11 am

Stephen Fox

Clint Dempsey story in SI

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:15 am