[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Arizona gets tough on ILLEGAL immigrants

Arizona gets tough on ILLEGAL immigrants

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Arizona gets tough on ILLEGAL immigrants

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:26 am

I'm beginning to think that I am the only Liberal in the USA who knows the meaning of the word illegal. So many of my Liberal friends are jumping on Arizona's case about this bill

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =126230404

I support the bill. Ignoring the illegal alien situation is an affront to all those Mexicans who waited patiently, and, in due course came into the USA legally to work and/or obtain citizenship.

God Bless Arizona.

Chris (ducking).
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Arizona gets tough on ILLEGAL immigrants

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:00 pm

This seems another case of not addressing the wider issues of immigration reform. I saw that the President attended an naturalization ceremony yesterday for the military. If you want a fast track to citizenship and you are illegal, just join the military. We will even let you fight and die before we make you a citizen. Is there no problem here?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:19 pm

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

So Chris

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:45 pm

How Many illegal immigrants do you know
And what is your and Jonathan's solution.

What do you do with a kid who comes to America,his family papers are not in order; he has sterlingrecord in we'll say Colinsville Alabama's public schools,get BAptized in the local Baptist church, and has strong B average when not knowing much English when he came here.

Say his family was invited cause there was a big sign in the early 90's on the border that said Come ToCollinsville,Al; Jobs There.

So you and Jonathan in Christ's name say: "Send him Back."

I don't think that is the answer though there are no perfect solutions.

Watch how Tim James plays the game politically in Alabama.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: So Chris

Postby Jonathan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Re: So Chris

Postby Jonathan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Jonathan

Re: Ariz

Postby Chris » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Chris

Postby Tim Dahl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:02 pm

My initial response to the law was unfavorable. I can't say that it has gotten any more favorable since that time. I admit that this is due to emotions, and not any kind of unbiased thought over the matter. You see, I grew up with quite a few Hispanic friends. I still am in contact with quite a few of them. I have no idea if them, or anyone in their family is here without proper papers. I do know that my life would be less if I hadn't known them. I know that I would suffer some sort of emotional pain if I found out that they, or someone they loved was deported. Every Hispanic friend that I have is a credit to God's Kingdom. So, please don't think that I'm unbiased about this. I'm not. I pray that God will show us a way through this mess.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Re: Ariz

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:46 pm

There are 460,000 ILLEGAL immigrants in Arizona. They need to go home. If their children are "legal" due to birth, then the choices are 1. take them on the return trip to Mexico or 2. leave them here with a friend or relative. There are consequences for illegal activity. The 460,000 didn't do this with their eyes closed. If conditions in Mexico are bad, that's Mexico's problem.

Conditions were bad in the USA from 2001-2008, so we "took our country back" and elected another party. Mexico should do the same. Elect a government that will reform the nation.
Chris

Postby scottaerwin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:01 pm

I am not sure that the outrage over this bill has anything to do with illegal immigration. What most people, including me, object to is the vague language that the police have a duty to demand papers from anyone who "looks" like and illegal immigrant. It is a bill that comes very close to saying that all brown skin people need to get their papers in order because they are going to get pulled over by the police and asked for papers. BTW, a valid driver's license doesn't count. If I am an american born latino living in Arizona, I would be moving. How many of us have any form of identification that would suffice.

If indeed this is the case, it is a racist bill, and has very little to do about immigration. If I have my facts wrong here I am happy to be corrected.

I also know quite a few illegal immigrants whose paperwork is in order. One of the big problems in U.S. immigration enforcement is the countless visa mills in certain foreign countries and large us cities. Many of the folks here illegally have no idea they are illegal because they have papers that are fraudulent. Most people in law enforcement couldn't tell by looking at them.

Scott
Scott, God is not calling you to HAVE a 900 lb. gorilla, God is calling you to BE a 900 lb. gorilla -- discerning friend
scottaerwin

Postby Haruo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 pm

And then there are the people who were adopted as infants and their adoptive parents never went through the hoops to make them citizens...

Yes, these people exist, and sometimes get deported to a country that they have no recollection of and whose language they don't speak.

Personally, I'm in favor of abolishing national borders, so I'm afraid I'm not much use in this discussion ;-)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Jonathan

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Border fences do little to keep people out. The higher the fence, the taller the ladders become. There are many areas honeycombed with hidden tunnels. Reality has to do with the fact that the penalties for employing illegal immigrants do not exist or are a joke. I know one industry that was caught a few years ago with having accepted the same green card for 27 different workers, 26 of whom were not entitled to it. Those 26 were deported, but the plan in which they worked was fined a total of $1,000 for all 26 violations. Sadly, one manager identified the 26 as some of the hardest workers in the plant.

The church I served from 2001 to 2009 had a family start attending at one point. The husband was a native-born American. His wife was from Honduras, and they had three sons from her former marriage with them. It was 2 years before I learned that the wife and sons were illegal immigrants because the family did not have the money to return to Honduras where they had been married and pay bribes to get official records of their marriage and of his adoption of the sons. They came here from Arizona and when INS came here they went to another state. Should our church have helped them? We were in legal violation to do so.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Chris

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:50 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Jonathan

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Chris

Postby Jonathan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Jonathan

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:57 pm

I like Jeff Matthews' take on it.

http://texas.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2 ... itutional/

"Skilled and unskilled labor provided by illegal immigrants unquestionably drives down wages. Illegals have to live and work “underground” and off of the radar. In many, many cases, they work for cash, no taxes are withheld, and the employer does not match Social Security and Medicare withholdings.

So, if you are a Hispanic citizen, you might work for $10 an hour, if you are unskilled. You will have some small amount of withholdings, including at least Social Security and Medicare. Both of these will be matched by your employer. This no small sum when, in light of this fact, an illegal immigrant can arrange to do the same work for $9 an hour and no withholdings. This would equate to almost a 20% savings to the employer.

On the other hand, if the market was not replete with illegal labor, just imagine what the effect on wages would be for Hispanic citizens. The law of supply and demand dictates that if the supply of labor is reduced, and there is no change in demand for it, the price of labor must increase.
"

Regarding "profiling". Police "profile" (verb) 24 hours/day. When I was a dispatcher and someone gave me a descritpion of a perpetrator, I was required to ask "Race?" When I dispatched the officer, I would say "The suspect is a White Male running eastbound on 30th street, wearing a red shirt and blue shorts." Is the officer going to stop a Hispanic or Asian or Black male? No. He's profiling because he wants to apprehend the suspect.
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Chris

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues