VA Governor and Confederate Heritage Month

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: KeithE

Re: VA Governor and Confederate Heritage Month

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 am

Chris wrote:Dave, If there is already a Museum of the Confederacy, howcum someone thinks we need one at the Ft. Monroe site?

The Museum of the Confederacy and the White House of the Confederacy are sitting on a tiny site dwarfed by the towers of VCU Medical Center and the Medical College of Virginia. The sun doesn't touch their site until late afternoon due to the 12 to 15 story buildings that surround them. If you have Google Earth, look at the location of the White House of the Confederacy. There has been talk for a number of years about relocation to a more accomodating location. The only parking available is in the medical center patient and visitor deck--eight stories of endless loops--that are expensive for visitors except on weekends when they get free parking. The problem of that location is not going away, and who knows where they could move. My guess is that regardless the White House stays. VCU has a covetous relationship with that location, however.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 am

This discussion makes me want to dust off my copies of Shelby Foote and James&Walter Kennedy.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby ET » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:16 am

Dave, you need to edit the links. They don't work.

Personally, I think Rawls wrote the better commentary. He asks questions that go beyond the typical "it was all about slavery" shallowness and display some of the more complex issues of history that are often overlooked in any era. Slavery most certainly was the catalyst for the whole mess, but when 90% or more of the population didn't own a slave, making slavery out to be the issue of the day for everyone who fought for one side or the other is not historically accurate.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am

Many from the area in which I grew up fought solely because Confederate Conscription Agents took them for the duration--or until they were able to desert.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 am

Dave Roberts wrote:Many from the area in which I grew up fought solely because Confederate Conscription Agents took them for the duration--or until they were able to desert.

I wonder also about the one ancestor I know that fought in the war. He was in a unit under Nathan B. Forrest. He didn't enlist until 1862 and was discharged right before the Battle of Franklin in 1864 because his wife was ill. Ran across some info that implied the possibility that the TN cavalry regiment that he was in may have been composed of conscripts, but I haven't confirmed that. Got another relative who headed north to Illinois in 1862 and then settled in AR after the war. Hadn't occurred to me before that he may have gone North to avoid conscription, but one would think that if that was the case, he stood just as much a chance of getting drafted up North. :?
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby William Thornton » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 pm

There's a guy running for an open seat in the House of Representates who is running commercials now, a conservative Republican. The background music in the ad is the most memorable song from Ken Burn's Civil War series, Ashokan Farewell (hear it here. I love the tune, think it is a genuinely inspired piece, and will always associate it with Burns' series. Wonder if this guy is trying to catch some of the Heritage vote?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:09 pm

William Thornton wrote: The background music in the ad is the most memorable song from Ken Burn's Civil War series, Ashokan Farewell (hear it here.

I wonder if he bothered to obtain Jay Ungar's permission to use it.

I have just spent about 10 minutes looking at some of the "related" U-Tube videos concerning the song and the Civil War. Dead bodies...dead bodies...and more dead bodies. Was it worth all that bloodshed just to see who was right -- the guys who wanted to prove they could have slaves if they chose to; or the guys who felt no one had the right to chose to have slaves?

I wonder if the Christian militia and the Tea-Partiers think its worth 100,000 lives to prove whether they have a right to refuse mandated health insurance. From some of the talk I hear around this corner of the Bible belt, it's possible.

They have forgotten (or ignored) that Geo. W. Bush took away more of their rights with the signing of the Patriot Act, than Obama has done .

With most of the "Union Soldiers" now deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq, the Army of the Tallehatchee could probably win in less than a month. :(
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:02 am

Today there is a new response from a group of Baptist ministers who object to a number of Gov. McDonnell's actions including this proclamation. http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/state_regional/state_regional_govtpolitics/article/19_baptist_pastors_criticize_mcdonnell/54924/
Interesting to see what the response will be.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:13 am

Chris wrote:

I wonder if the Christian militia and the Tea-Partiers think its worth 100,000 lives to prove whether they have a right to refuse mandated health insurance. From some of the talk I hear around this corner of the Bible belt, it's possible.

My corner as well, Chris. I actually heard it said yesterday at lunch that all branches of the government should be abandoned except the Dept of Defense. No prez, no congress, no supreme Court. States could do it all. And there were many at our table of about 12 who agreed. Others sat is disbelief.

At the other end of the table I heard them say Alabama should secede and said so very seriously. Obama was going to announce the end of NASA funding anyway (in this town that would be big and sad news), so we might as well. In actuality Obama increased NASA's budget $6B.

The country is so divided, it may come to another "civil" war starting off with militias/tea partiers acts of violence.

A more "civil" approach is another round of Re-Inventing Government like Gore did which helped so much with limiting government and creating a surplus.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Dave Roberts wrote: There has been talk for a number of years about relocation to a more accommodating location.

It doesn't make any sense to put The Museum of the Confederacy at the Ft. Monroe site. The Confederacy has no history there.
It never occupied the place. I will raise my voice against that.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 am

Chris wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote: There has been talk for a number of years about relocation to a more accommodating location.

It doesn't make any sense to put The Museum of the Confederacy at the Ft. Monroe site. The Confederacy has no history there.
It never occupied the place. I will raise my voice against that.

I think there is a fear that the Confederate White House will cease to generate enough visitors in its current congested dowtown Richmond location.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues