[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baseball Season 2010!

Baseball Season 2010!

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Baseball Season 2010!

Postby Chris » Mon May 31, 2010 7:12 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Jerry_B » Mon May 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Love baseball, grew up watching the AA El Paso Diablos (Dodgers and Brewers) where they would pass the batting helmet around after hitting a home run and folks would put money in it. Kinda like offering time at the ballpark. Keep a close eye on the Rangers, having met Nolan Ryan and wishing him nothing but the best. But I will just about watch any game, I don't care who is playing. Was watching when Pujols hit his three homers yesterday, wow that guy is awesome, still confused why you would pitch to him, but still awesome.
Jerry_B

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 pm

As someone noted on another message board, if this had been a New York Yankee pitcher, Bud Selig would have reversed the decision within an hour.
Chris

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:32 am

Gary

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:55 am

Chris

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:00 am

Gary

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:13 pm

The Governor of Michigan has issued a Proclamation that Galarraga pitched a perfect game on June 2, 2010. A Michigan Senator and Congressman will bring up legislation in Congress to force Bud Selig to reverse Jim Joyce's decision. If, for no other reason, this should be done so that Jim Joyce can live with himself for the rest of his life.

http://blog.taragana.com/politics/2010/ ... ame-41139/

Let's all back Doris Kearnes Goodwin for Commissioner. It's time a woman got the job.
Chris

Postby Jim » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:05 am

A few weeks ago, a golfer penalized himself in order to be honest and it cost him $411,000. I’m sure he also forgave himself for making an honest error. From all accounts, Galarraga forgave the umpire for making an honest mistake, something that has been extant in baseball since its beginning. While the pitcher lost a shot at the record books, he didn’t lose a dime (or the game). In fact, all the publicity will help him at contract-signing time. Perhaps the young pitcher has learned that vanity is a killer and has no trouble moving on. Why can’t everyone else?

Jim

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:45 am

Chris

Postby Jim » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Jim

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Chris

Not Basebeall but Soccer

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:07 am

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010 ... l?src=smt3

And I take it you BBall fans saw John Pierce's good blog on the Perfect Game
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Bob Sheppard, the public address system voice of Yankee Stadium since 1951 died today at age 99. He also had done P.A. for the New York Football Giants, both at Yankee Stadium and East Rutherford. He was there for Don Larson's perfect game. He was there when the Giants and Colts played overtime for the championship.

Reggie Jackson said, "I'd bat ninth just to hear him call my name. When he said 'Reggie Jackson number forty-four', it sounded like a higher number."

Mickey Mantle once told Sheppard, "When you announce my name it gives me goosebumps!" Sheppard kindly replied, "Me too."
What a tribute to both men.

Several years ago, Derek Jeter (knowing this day would come) had the Yankees record the voice of Bob Sheppard introducing Derek Jeter. The voice of Bob Sheppard will always introduce Derek Jeter (the greatest shortstop of my time) whenever he plays at Yankee Stadium.

You may or may not be a Yankees fan. If you are a baseball fan, you will get goosebumps when you watch the video embedded in this story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb,255178
Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Re: previous post. David Ortiz won the annual Home Run Derby this year in Anaheim.
Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:29 pm

On another board, the dicussion was about cities that have been embarrassed by sellling stadium naming rights to companies that flopped, e.g. Enron. Someone pointed out that CitiBank is paying $20,000,000/year for 20 years to have its name on the Mets' new park. The American taxpayers own Citi Corp.

Some wag said, the name on the park should be Debits Field! :D
Chris

My family connection to All Star Game

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:58 am

My nephew Chad's Jr Prom date is now the wife of Jon Lester of the Bosox who had a good 5th inning tonight in the AStar Game.

Great Nyorker piece in current issue on David Ortiz.

Chasing Moonlight by Freidlander and Reisling, is good book about the mysterious Doc Graham in Field of Dreams

Stephen Fox

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Barry Bonds allegedly lied in 2003. He was supposed to be tried February 2009. Now, it's been postponed until March 21, 2011.

Doesn't the Constitution guarantee a "speedy trial."? Will we ever see justice?
Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Two days ago, a Chicago Cubs player was impaled by a piece of a broken bat. NOW, CAN WE MAKE THOSE MAPLE BATS ILLEGAL? Please!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/1 ... 30850.html
Chris

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:40 pm

The Cincinnati Reds are NL Central champs! A sweet October it is! :)
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Ken Burns PBS

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 am

Extra Innings, part two tonight spotlighting REd Sox World Series.

Part One pretty fascinating last night.

And shout out to John Pierce: Bobby Richardson has SCETV documentary video just released about the day in 72 Mickey and Whitey came to town for batting practice with Little Leaguers. Priceless footage, Bobby at his finest. Great kerygma for a Baps Today feature cover story interview if you want to consider it.

Stephen Fox

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 am

Jim

Bobby Richardson

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Ran for Congress in 76. Said he got talked into it by Nixon's Southern Strategist, Harry Dent. Mickey Mantle and Joe Dimaggio came to SC to campaign for him.

In 80 Richardson with a General were state cochairs for Ronald Reagan.

As an aspect of Oran Smith's Rise of Baptist Republicanism; and Steven Miller's work on Graham and Nixon, the Richardson story is quite interesting footnote.
Dent chaired Graham's Columbia SC Crusade that coincided with Reagan's election campaign in a key Primary state, similar to Graham hosting Nixon in Knoxville May 70 right after Kent State.

Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues