[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - After Decades of Redistributing Wealth to the Rich ...

After Decades of Redistributing Wealth to the Rich ...

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: After Decades of Redistributing Wealth to the Rich ...

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Sandy

Postby ET » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:08 pm

ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:47 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Have you learned your lesson about assuming Bruce is interested in (or is capable of) actual debate yet ET?
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby Howard V » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:49 pm

It would seem from history that all governments [I'm not aware of an exception], regardless of the well intended beginning, tend to be based on control [lack of freedom] or to slowly slide into control [lack of freedom] as time passes - and sometimes it is a very short time indeed. This is not an argument for anarchy. It is merely a recognition of the pernicious nature of human beings. That is how we do things.

Some of us decry the greed and heartlessness of [big] business. Others of us decry the greed and heartlessness of [big] government. It is right that both be decried. And, as either grow [become bigger] their power to do the 2 things decried increases. Power does tend to corrupt. As power approaches being total the corruption increases likewise. This seems to hold true for people, even "good" people also.

I trust neither business nor government to do the right thing. Both are always - yes I said always - seeking to grow themselves. Both have to get bigger to do more, and that without much regard as to the goodness or the morality of the "more." Such growth leads to less freedom [at least that is historically true].

G. K. Chesterton's quip still stands. "Civilization is a marvelous idea. Someone ought to try it."

Howard
Howard V

Postby ET » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:53 pm

ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Last edited by ET on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ET

Postby KeithE » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:01 am

I'll let you know about Southaven. Might be a weekday night when and if work allows. I suspect Thursday April 22 may be such an opportunity (will most likely have a friend with me - very fun loving 73 year old). Maybe you can tell us your tax credits/deductions - I owed $3000 this year (probably due to a lucky break with my adjustable LIBOR loan which stayed at about 1.5% all last year).

One other point I shoud have made about the tax policy, is that even poor people pay state sales taxes. I suspect that most everyone pays some taxes considering fed/state/local. In Alabama, the poor actually pay more percentage wise than the rich since we have a blanket 5% income tax.

I know TN has no income tax (i.e. it could be worse).
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:13 am

One of the pieces of information I do not see in these statistics is which 42% of Americans did not pay taxes. The assumption here has been that it was the lowest of incomes, but the actual statistics could just as easily relate to some on the high end of the income spectrum who have legal and accounting talent available to help them avoid taxes from time to time. Ever notice that there are folks who make large contributions to their churches about every three years and limited ones at other times--bunching deductions to those years when they have enough to make a real difference?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues