[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Texas textbook war

Texas textbook war

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Texas textbook war

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:14 am

Jim, it is difficult to have a constructive dialogue in your alternative reality universe where you redefine and customize terms to suit your own tastes, embrace myths over actual history, and often respond to others' statements with a verbal attack that makes little sense.

So, I will leave you to wander around your own personal universe, with the acknowledgment that we at least share some commonality regarding the early Baptist commitment to separation of church and state.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Jim

Postby ET » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Last edited by ET on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Jim

Postby ET » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:33 pm

ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Jim and ET, you two are going to believe whatever you wish to be true, truth be hanged.

Get ahold of and read the piece by Stephen Stookey of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary - yes, the SBC seminary - in 1999, that I listed above.

Otherwise, enjoy your mythologies.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:05 am

I didn’t find Stookey’s gem of wisdom but I found this, which has buried in it the stuff that applies here: http://www.baptiststandard.com/2003/4_1 ... ssors.html.

For a bit of perspective, this is also interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tCAffMSWSzY#t=28. It probably will disappear but who knows, Allah may bless!
Jim

No more enlightenment in Texas

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:02 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: No more enlightenment in Texas

Postby ET » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:24 pm

ET

Postby ET » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Bruce, my friend, I managed to obtain a copy of Stookey's article I must say it's one of the best pieces of history-related material I've read in some time. The last four paragraphs of the conclusion warrant a hearty "AMEN!". :thumb: Many thoughts on the article, but I don't have time to share them and don't know if anyone cares. Too bad we can't meet at the local coffee shop and talk it over. (Hmmm..where's the half-way point between Montana and Memphis?)

I did find the part intriguing about the tie-in between some of the Mormon-produced material on the subject, the Christian nation folks and Glenn Beck. I know Barton has been a recent regular on Beck's TV show (I haven't seen any of the shows, however), but it makes sense why Beck, as a Mormon, would find Barton & Co. so attractive. As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating!" (but I can't do the eyebrow thing :D )

Also, it's interesting that most of the main proponents of this view of history are from the Reformed (Calvinist) vein of thought, which makes sense given their theology. That aspect made it all the more interesting to read Stookey's inclusion of the quote where Jefferson attacks Calvinism quite nastily. I also noted the point that these folks usually overemphasis the influence of Puritanism and ignore those outside of New England and usually leave out any mention of Baptists of the time, and particularly don't associate Roger Williams and a few others as being Baptists (I'll have to double-check my boxed-up copy of The Light and the Glory to be sure about that, but as far as my memory serves, Stookey was accurate in his take on the book).

I've already rambled more than I intended when I started this response. That's all for now.
ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: Texas textbook war---MORE

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Texas textbook war---MORE

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:30 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Jill Lapore

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:43 am

Is the latest for substantive thinking on this matter. Harvard Proff will be on the shelves soon. As Invested as Chris in particular is in this matter hope he will give it a thorough reading.

Counting on Dave Roberts to get the word out around Vineville, and the greater Macon area.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Jill Lapore

Postby KeithE » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues