[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Texas textbook war

Texas textbook war

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Texas textbook war

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:29 pm

As goes Texas, so goes the nation....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/1 ... 98003.html

Because Texas is the nation's largest purchaser of textbooks, this decision could influence what students in my state have to study (using my tax dollars). People are laughing at Texas over this! :censored:
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Texas textbook war

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:23 am

As I have followed this, it bothers me that we want to edit what children learn about history. To make it the story of "great white men" and to impose a Christian veneer onto the founding fathers, some of whom had it and some of whom did not, is to present a set of lies to children. At the same time, to dismiss the power of the Great Awakenings and the religious nature of abolition is also to tell lies. Texas wants to determine what all our children learn. What happened to trusting the story as story.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:39 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:06 am

Chris

Postby William Thornton » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:41 am

The gold standard inclusion is clearly a Ron Paul deal.

I guess I would want to know what you guys object to in the changes.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 am

Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:26 am

I find also the downplaying of the civil rights movement and the contributions of Hispanics to be both racist and a form of class warfare practiced in Texas. In addition, the efforts to make the founding fathers all mainline Christians is wrong, because they were not. Like Chris, I think that the Bill of Rights needs to be considered as a whole, not with emphasis on the 2nd Amendment. All 10 need equal emphasis as they were crucial in developing our self-understanding as a republic.

I question that hip-hop is a cultural phenomenon that needs attention. The BC/AD and BCE/CE issues do give weight to Christian tradtion above all others, and a Muslim suit could well have us forced to teach with a parallel set of dates from Mohammed. I too question the significance of Golda Meir.

I wonder why the emphasis on the decline of the dollar would be pressed and the gold standard would still be revived. Few world currencies are backed by precious metals alone in our day.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 am

Well, this is a state board of education that presides over a public education system that ranks near the bottom in academic achievement compared to the other 49 in just about every category.
Sandy

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Chris

Postby Gary » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:16 pm

This nonsense is thankfully repeated only every 10 years. We are now on the cusp of a sea-change w/r/t textbooks at all levels.

Many Universities have begun negotiations with publishers to use individual chapters and sections of books to comprise the texts of University-level coursework - all electronically. When these negotiations reach their foregone conclusion, gone will be the days of having to pay $100 for a university text of which the professor only refers to a chapter or two.

This will trickle down to the public schools as well. Most school children today are increasingly using "Blackboard"-type online resources so that parents can check up on schoolwork due or turned in, future assignments, weekly and daily reports from teachers to classes as a whole and to some parents in particular. Online references for students are linked from resources such as these - some paid for by the district, others freely available for all to see, use, and be used as reference. The electronic cut-and-paste textbook will be a reality Real Soon Now.

Yes, the parents will have to take an active role in the education of their children. They should anyway. But when the Texas Textbook Committee sits and makes its awful choices 10 years from now, they will have far less influence over the education of children everywhere, even in their own state.

Hopefully, this rising generation can be salvaged.

Gary
Gary

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks, Gary, for that enlightening post. I have a question. If students are going to be able to reference so many different sources, does the student (taking a test) get credit for the right answer only when he gives the answer in the "approved" textbook?

Example: The story of Creation in the Bible is just as credible as Darwin's Theory of Evolution....TRUE or FALSE?
Chris

Postby Gary » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Gary

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:57 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:28 pm

Sandy

Oscar Romero in Texas

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:34 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Dahl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Our illustrious gov'ner wants us to go to internet based learning now. No more textbooks in Texas...

I'm not so sure I like that idea. Granted, I think our gov'ner is a crook; so I'm sure this bias' my opinion.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Re: Oscar Romero in Texas

Postby Tim Dahl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Schlafly or Jefferson

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:34 am

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... teapot___/

Also see ed.com today on Thomas J and Jesus.

Stephen Fox

Assist. Prof from U of Dallas weighs in

Postby Jonathan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:11 am

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Bruce Gourley and Ameritianity

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun May 16, 2010 11:02 am

A Representative of this Group:

http://www.ameritianity.com/ameritianityhome.html

And Bruce Gourley are having an interesting discussion in the comment line at ABP on Texas Texts

Here:

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/5141/53/

Stephen Fox

RD Lebo Update

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon May 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Stephen Fox

Alabama and TExts and Inerrancy/Tony Cartledge

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 18, 2010 7:28 am

Lebo's stream at RD.org has taken a fascinating turn in the comment lines if any of you deeep thinkers and cultural observers want to explore.
Link above and then navigate around to Lebo's several entries there and her Alabama post.

Tony Cartledge has weighed in here:

http://www.tonycartledge.com/2010/05/re ... story.html

And this morning I signed the guestbook in the hometown newspaper of George Truett, letting them know how I am convinced Truett would oppose the Texas Regular Conservative Textbook committee rewrite.

Stephen Fox

An Idiocracy

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Stephen Fox

Lebo continues to Shine Light

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 26, 2010 8:37 pm