[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Some nuggets in Pres. Obama's healthcare bill

Some nuggets in Pres. Obama's healthcare bill

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Some nuggets in Pres. Obama's healthcare bill

Postby Jonathan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Re: Some nuggets in Pres. Obama's healthcare bill

Postby Gary » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Went looking for the originals of those nuggets listed above. Pretty much everything referenced back to Michelle Malkin's blog. None, include Malkin, had a reference to the original document.

The MSM all were talking about how the President's plan was about 50 pages.

Someone, or ones, are incorrect.

To date, I have seen no reference to the President's document online anywhere. Lots of summaries, etc., but no document.

Gary
Gary

Postby KeithE » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Congressmen are elected to represent their districts, not a "federal voting pool". I fail to see what there is in representing the interests of one's district, one's constituency, that necessarily impugns one's integrity.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:04 pm

While I am not sure that all of the provisions that Jonathan lists are necessarily inappropriate I agree that linking these provisions to a single senators vote appears to be an inappropriate payoff.

Maybe if McCain would vote for the healthcare bill then they could drop the Florida provision (since he spoke of this in the summit) and toss out the vote of the Florida senator.

Maybe if Olympia Snow voted for the bill they could drop the Nebraska provisions and lose the Nebraska senators vote...etc

The lack of willingness to engage in the development of a healthcare bill put such a premium on votes that a lot of special deals were cut.

Now as to the Montana provision. Surely Baucus could not vote against the bill.

While I appreciate the fact that these provisions can appear like a lot of pork I doubt that it really bears much of the blame for the Republican lack of participation in the legislative process. That blame should be laid to a strictly political calculation that the Republicans feel they benefit if Obama fails.

Isn't the reconciliation process itself more amenable to eliminating specific provisions (particularly when cost is an issue).

In the case of some of the state specific provisions I believe they were added to overcome some of the additional costs some states would incur because they would not be supported if they already had some provisions working there. So these were corrective actions that would make each state more equal in their federal contributions.
Cathy

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:46 am

I'd love to see fewer administrators :-)

Tort reform hasn't seen the reduction in malpractice rates expected in this state. I assume it will come down over time. There has been a big drop in the number of cases. I understand the lawyers are hoping for a reversal.

Hospitals like to add services that are the most profitable. If you see all the hospitals adding the same new services you might question whether the reimbursement for some of those services are too high. Transplants, Sleep centers...Not to say that they aren't needed but one might question the motivation, needed service vs profits. I can point to a hospital that dropped a clinic for after hospital f/u of patients on medicare and medicaid while opening a sleep center and infusion center.

RVUs have to reflect need no matter what third party payor is used. What will be done to reduce the decline in primary care?

It will be a hard industry to reign in.
Cathy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:54 am

Citizens in a few states receive exemptions or additional benefits at the expense of citizens of the remainder and the reason for this is not that certain senators who are witholding critical votes are holding out demanding payment for their vote but that Republicans are witholding their votes which, if given to the Democrats, would make all this vote buying uncessary? I don't even think I've heard the most rabid Democrat politico spin it like that.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:55 am

My immunizations might not be up to date.
Cathy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:04 am

When I look at the local hospital, I see what Cathy said. First, they closed the OB section because most of the patients were Medicaid recipients, so the hospital lost money on every delivery. In its place, there is a behavioral health unit. Second, they expanded the same-day surgery unit to accomodate more colonoscopies and more cataract surgeries. Third, there is a weekly meeting of department heads in which each must show how they made a profit or explain to the others why his or her department did not make money that week. That almost seems the worst of all possible ways to care for people. What happened to the model of not-for-profit medical care?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:14 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 am

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Cathy

Meet the Press Transcript Feb 28ll

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Dem Wasserman of the US House from Florida defeats Eric Cantor on all the substantive and prudent points; easily has the realpolitik virtuo us high ground over Cantor and CAthy and I know it and Jonathan remains stubborn :brick: :brick:
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:56 pm

I may need a grammar and syntax pill. Sorry. Let me try again without the rabid, a word that I should probably not use except in the context of rabid calvinists.

The idea that the dems sordid vote buying is excusable because of the lack of GOP support is not a very good argument, seems to me. Even Obama agreed that it is bad.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Cathy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:48 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Cathy

Postby KeithE » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:59 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:21 am

Cathy, I don't know what the byzantine reconciliation process would allow or disallow. The dems may have to deal with more desertions from the house. I haven't heard Reid say that they plan to remove any of the nuggets Jonathan listed above.
William Thornton
Site Admin

GOP can't discuss Health Care

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:27 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues