[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The great Global Warming collapse

The great Global Warming collapse

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: The great Global Warming collapse

Postby KeithE » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:29 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:36 am

Now that there is a on the gummit regulating carbon emissions, maybe we can see some scientists under oath. Truth seems to be a side issue in this GW bidness...
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:38 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Boy are you off the mark David on what I said. You often totally misapply what I say (e.g. Mann was vindicated in the Hockey Stick issue in the NRC/NAS book I reeied last week, not the Penn State investigation into Mann's emails - geez - you might try reading my replies!!!) to teh point I do not even think you read it carefully. John Christy was one of 12 scientists on the NRC/NAS (the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences) reviewingthe Hockey Stick controversy which vindicated Mann's major conclusiuon and in fact ent even furter than Mann did.

Good bye, until you prove to me you pay attention to the points I make armed with DATA. It appears to me that you don't read what I say and you certainly never have convince me you can even make reasonable assessments of data plots; just imagine stuff!!!
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:29 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:46 am

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby David Flick » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:29 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:16 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:44 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:02 am

One positive that can come out of this whole kerfuffle is that we have had the opportunity to review the concept of causality. The sound bite culture that we've developed has nearly rendered the well crafted argument and reasoned debate a thing of the past. One need not actually prove anything anymore as long as one can point to a large group of people who are currently nodding their heads at the assertion in question. We've seen this in politics, in denominational work, in local churches, in schools, and on discussion boards. As an aside, I've been re-reading Adam Smith and have, at several points, have laughed out loud when I've come across something that he wrote that has been quoted here, and elsewhere, to make a point contrary to the point that Smith was actually making. In spite of being the generation with the greatest access to written material in the history of man, we may be among the worst readers in several generations.

Credibility of the data collection and reporting system (or "chain of evidence" if you are a fan of those cool cop shows like Law & Order, CSI, NCIS,...) is the first hurdle that the AGW folks have to climb in order for me to take their arguments seriously.

Once the chain of evidence question has been settled, they have to make the argument that humans are responsible for the change in climate. Sorry, but I'm not just going to accept an argument that essentially states that the temperature rise has occured as human industrialization has intensified; therefore, climate change is the result of man.

The third problem with the AGW argument is the response to those who are not predisposed to give immediate and blanket authority to all those cute charts and graphs. Rather than seeking a careful debate, the AGW group dismisses, rebukes, and attacks with all of the fervor of tent revivalist. Sorry, but if you attack me personally for not completely accepting your argument, the problem is likely with your argument.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:09 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:37 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Howard V » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:48 am

Here recently it has been too cold in north Alabama to post anything on AGW. But temps are rising today and it is time to report on my on going ALW [human caused local warming] experiment.

Today I uncovered my winter garden for some direct sunlight. I also gathered fresh spinach, parsley, beet leaves, arugula, kale, collards and a number of Asian green [whose names I do not remember - I'll have to keep better records next winter] which I'll be eating in a few minutes.

I have discovered a few things in this experiment. 1. I can affect a micro climate in a very [relatively] small area [probably not applicable to AGW]. 2. In addition to the veggies I intended to grow I have discovered that weeds [things not intended to grow] Also grow in this nice micro climate. 3. Also, bugs will grow in this nice environment [ However the really cold weather recently has just about eliminated them].

Maybe this is a parable of life. You always have to pull weeds - in your garden and in your life. You always have to watch out for the bugs - in your garden and in your life. At least that is my experience.

Conclusion? With a little effort I can grow veggies the entire year in my area of the country. This is certainly the kind of ALW I like and approve of.

Howard
Howard V

Postby David Flick » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:17 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:41 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:54 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Howard V » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 am

The "Hot, AGW, House of Cards" world wide seems to be freezing and falling [though a few seem to continue to shout, "It's burning! It's burning!]. I guess there are just too many local really freezing temps [when taken together constitute a good area of the earths surface] to keep the hot air balloon inflated.

This would be a great time to strip the EPA of its ability to make laws on its own.

Howard
Howard V

Postby Gary » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Gary

Global Warming and World Hunger

Postby Gary » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Lee Judge. I believe he is published in the Kansas City Star.

Gary
Gary

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues