My TIC observations of the impeachment clown-show today

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

My TIC observations of the impeachment clown-show today

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:27 pm

From Gerry Milligan
Republicans:"Hey, you Democrats aren't doing this right."
Democrats: "No, we are trying to get the facts (Kind of)."
Republicans: "This is not how it should happen."
Democrats: "You seem to be focusing on the process, not the "facts" (as we interpret them)."
Republicans: "This was not how it was done with Nixon or Clinton."
Democrats: "We are not talking ancient history here; and if your president, who is so impeachable, had not caused the 2018 blue wave we would not be here. So, to quote the acting chief of staff, 'get over it' and try to have substance to your bloviated spewings."

I am so glad that I subscribe to Netflix and can watch actual programs, not partisan (both sides) obfuscations.
Joseph Patrick

Re: My TIC observations of the impeachment clown-show today

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 am

There are some major points missing from the Republican counter-argument. They spent months sending Giuliani, Nunes, and a good part of the European division of the state department searching for "dirt" on Joe and Hunter Biden under the clear and direct orders of the President.. Now they're in a huge bind. There wasn't any dirt in what they found. But if they lay it out, it proves the impeachment case. Crickets are chirping on that one.

The last thing the Republicans want is for the current House to apply the same standards and procedures to this impeachment that they did to Clinton's. Clinton looks like an angel clothed in white singing in a heavenly choir compared to this mess. The shrieking and lip flapping about "hearsay" seems to be dying down as documentation and direct testimony wiped out that claim. And let's put this in that context. What we are now hearing from Republicans is, "Yeah, OK, this was stupid and misguided. But it's not impeachable. So censure him and lets move on." OK, let's do that. Hear that, Democrats? You need to go out and find all the foreign countries who want to see Trump beaten to the ground and a Democrat elected and get all the help you need to win, even if that involves figuring out how to hack voting machines. Because the Republicans think that's OK and isn't impeachable. But ask yourself the question, "What would they be doing and saying now if this had been President Obama and it was the Republicans who had been dealing with it?"

Neal Katyal was a former solicitor general, pretty sharp guy, and a constitutional law expert. He appeared recently on several news programs with the perspective that this particular case of impeachment against a president is exactly what the founding fathers were thinking about when they made the decision to give the Congress oversight of the presidency. I linked a blog post written by a former student of mine who does a good job of explaining it.

https://nuntiatum.home.blog/2019/11/27/ ... d-removal/
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues