Mass Shooter Research

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Mass Shooter Research

Postby KeithE » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:57 pm

We have studied every mass shooting since 1966. Here’s what we’ve learned about the shooters

Although we haven’t found that mass shooters are all alike, our data do reveal four commonalities among the perpetrators of nearly all the mass shootings we studied.

First, the vast majority of mass shooters in our study experienced early childhood trauma and exposure to violence at a young age. ...

Second, practically every mass shooter we studied had reached an identifiable crisis point in the weeks or months leading up to the shooting. ...

Third, most of the shooters had studied the actions of other shooters and sought validation for their motives. ...

Fourth, the shooters all had the means to carry out their plans. ...

So what do these commonalities tell us about how to prevent future shootings?

One step needs to be depriving potential shooters of the means to carry out their plans. ...

Another step is to try to make it more difficult for potential perpetrators to find validation for their planned actions. ...

We also need to, as a society, be more proactive. Most mass public shooters are suicidal, and their crises are often well known to others before the shooting occurs. The vast majority of mass shooters leak their plans ahead of time. ...

You can find a map of where these mass shootings occur - pretty consistent with population density (my observation) - at the bottom of this link.

You can download a 50 page .pdf of their report here
Click on "download full-text pdf”. I have not read that yet.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Mass Shooter Research

Postby KeithE » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Just found another mass shooter data base. This one from Mother Jones and is from 1982.

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2019: Data From Mother Jones’ Investigation.

I counted the number incidences each year

1982 -1998: 0,1,2, or 3 incidences
1999: 5
2000-2006: 0,1, or 2
2007: 4
2008: 3
2009: 4
2010: 1
2011: 3
2012: 7
2013: 5
2014: 3
2015: 7
2016: 6
2017: 11
2018: 12
2019: 7 thru 8/4 (extrapolates to 12)

There can be little doubt that Trump has enflamed this epidemic.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:05 am

As I look at these shooters, I also see another commonality in some but not all--economic frustration. They have not only realized that they may never make it to the middle class but they have also assumed that the most recent immigrants or the Muslims or African-Americans are to blame.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Google, etc. are targeting me for outdoor furniture ads - I've been inundated lately, due to my search for outdoor tables.

Certainly someone in govt (DHS, FBI, or contracted by govt) can red flag those that have displayed the factors Project Violence have identified:

First, the vast majority of mass shooters in our study experienced early childhood trauma and exposure to violence at a young age. ...

Second, practically every mass shooter we studied had reached an identifiable crisis point in the weeks or months leading up to the shooting. ...

Third, most of the shooters had studied the actions of other shooters and sought validation for their motives. ...

Fourth, the shooters all had the means to carry out their plans. ...

I hear that even Trump has called for a “red flag” federal law (watch out - the devil is on the details). Read Trump backs 'red flag' gun laws. What do they actually do?
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues