[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SC SBC, Trump and the Son of SC Sharecroppers

SC SBC, Trump and the Son of SC Sharecroppers

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

SC SBC, Trump and the Son of SC Sharecroppers

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:30 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... &ocid=iehp

Elijah Cummings is the son of SC Sharecroppers. His family had probably moved from SC before WA Criswell gave his race baiting speech to a joint session of the SC legislature in 1956.

But now is time for SBC leadership like JD Grear, recent SBC President Bryant Wright of the Johnson Ferry BC in Cobb Co Georgia who witnesses on Braves Radio Broadcasts and of 60 minutes fame, and Senator James Lankford of Oklahoma an ordained SBC minister himself and son in law of a takeover SBC president; time for all of them to distinguish themselves in no uncertain terms from Trump.

Chic Fil A's friend the GOP senator from SC Scott called Trump's race baiting statements about the Squad, appealing to the "lowest common denominator".

It is time for other SBC leaders to step forward
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: SC SBC, Trump and the Son of SC Sharecroppers

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

The Law and the Prophets

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:09 pm

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/0 ... americans/

Oneill mentions Jill Lepore two paragraphs in.

Ive read her recent book These Truths and the Chapter Battle Lines.

I doubt, for instance, William Thornton has joined me in that careful reading.

Also Azar Nafisi's This Republic of Imagination.

I just posted on the SEC Network Facebook wall.

I mentioned Kirby Smart

I am ready to have this conversation!!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:55 am

You don't have conversations, fox. Those would involve dialogue.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:40 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:10 am

I don't know anybody personally who comes right out and supports white nationalism per se, I don't think.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:55 am

Last edited by KeithE on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:32 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:50 am

Covert racism, and systemic unintentional discrimination are still endemic here, but relatively few people here are willing to say it out loud. We have very few Confederate relics, and no local history of enslavement of blacks. But it is here. If Mrs. H. and I had bought our current house when it was new, we would have had to sign a stipulation that we would not sell or rent it to anyone not of the white race, except for domestic servants who could have a room as a part of their compensation. Seattle schools were never to my knowledge formally segregated (like the drinking spigots I remember seeing at a church camp in (I think) Arkansas in the early 1960s), but in seventh grade I was a voluntary racial transfer student at Washington Junior High (now Washington Middle School), taking city buses across town to attend a school that was 98% nonwhite (and 72% Negro; about 25% Oriental). When I was in sixth grade (I think; maybe fifth) I attended Freedom School at First AME, boycotting the schools to protest the lack of integration. And even at Washington, my classes were overwhelmingly Asian. When we left for Japan, Mr. Peterson, a neighbor, gave me a lecture on not marrying any of the girls over there, who would be sure to try to get me to; I was 13.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 pm

I don't think this is something that has suddenly resurfaced. It has been there, it just took a racist bigot in the White House to motivate people to express it. We had a couple in church in Texas who were teaching stuff in their Sunday school class that whites were given this continent by God to dominate and create a Christian society. It came complete with scriptural justification and everything. The pastor was OK with it because "it was a legitimate interpretation" and because they brought people into the church as a result. Go figure.

Stephen seems to think that there should be some kind of groundswell from Southern Baptists on this issue. He's right, there should be. There's a good post on SBC Voices from someone who finally got fed up with Evangelical support for the adulterous, lying, cheating, strip club owning president and blasted out, but he got blasted back by a lot of misinformation and willful ignorance. I wouldn't expect much in the way of support from the SBC.

With some awareness, continued pursuit of investigations that get information out to those who are not buried under the propaganda balloon, it should be easy to defeat this at the polls in a way that will knock it down hard enough to keep it from resurfacing.
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues