Trump really stepped in it....

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Trump really stepped in it....

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:14 am

The only print copy of a newspaper I get any more is an occasional Chicago Tribune, and the weekly from my hometown in Arizona. Summer gives me the opportunity to go out on the balcony with a cup of coffee and read a few select articles from the New York Times and Washington Post, and catch up on what's going on locally. Looks like Trump stepped in it. Running for re-election, he shouldn't be the one doing things that motivate his political opponents to ensure he's a one term president.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 748737001/

And a blog comment.
https://nuntiatum.home.blog/

Et Nuntatium Intelligentes wrote:These women are patriots, not haters.
Sandy
Sandy

Re: Trump really stepped in it....

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:55 am

The trouble is the 40% are already in the dung of Fox News and/or white nationalism. Some may think the economy is much better under Trump (not really so - I’ll post another topic on that subject today sometime) and hold their nose. Some may think Trump is God’s man - God help them.

The “Squad" is not anti-American, they are trying to make America better than it is today. You may not like the Squad’s ideas, but don’t say they “hate” America.

Trump’s “Great”, is a return to (1) pre-civil rights day, (2) pre-regulation day so that corporations can harm the country to make more profit, and (3) good old days when he, Epstein, and other rich white men can harass women with impunity (OK he has not made this a political issue yet - but Trump certainly has not embraced the MeToo movement)

(1) Trump’s history establish him as a racist (not just his falsely-applied “go back to where you came from” statement to the 4 ladies - 3 of them born in the USA and all 4 are USA citizens)

An Oral History of Trump’s Bigotry
Jon Meacham: Trump joined Andrew Johnson as ‘most racist president in American history
Are you OK with a racist president, Republicans?

(I am appalled that as much as 20-40% of America are influenced by these racist beliefs.)

(2) Trump’s disregard for the environment, health care, food, labor, safety and financial regulations:

A running list of how President Trump is changing environmental policy
Tracking deregulation in the Trump era - Interactive
The GOP just dealt another blow in their steady unraveling of Obama's legacy (may 2018).

Trump’s anti-everything-Obama is indicative of his racism. Obama had good and bad policies and many of his better policies propositions suffered at the hands of an obscenely obstructive McConnell/Congress. I trust Democrats (and yes the "Squad”) as much more able to separate the the good and bad than I do Republicans (the party Trump has commandeered). Right now the obstructive behavior of the Republicans is the real thing holding back America from achieving a “more perfect union” for the common good. It is now tilted ever more towards the rich, largely white, large male class.

(3) It is obvious why Trump fights the MeToo Movement:

Trump mocks the #MeToo movement at a rally, again
Trump Mocks #MeToo Movement Days After Decrying “a Scary Time for Young Men” like Michael Epstein.
Last edited by KeithE on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:23 am

There's a reason why the term "robber barons" started with the word "robber". That is the America that Trump thinks was great. Figuring out how to extract wealth from the poor is the name of the game. The race stuff is, I think, tangential.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:36 am

Haruo wrote:There's a reason why the term "robber barons" started with the word "robber". That is the America that Trump thinks was great. Figuring out how to extract wealth from the poor is the name of the game. The race stuff is, I think, tangential.

Racism may be tangential, but it is the means to grab a voting block. As are his nods towards Evangelicals, his refutation of the MeToo movement, and his deregulation aimed at corporate people (and their donations).

We are in a struggle for our country. I'm optimistic Trumpism can be defeated but we must be vigilant in exposing Trump misdeeds and electioneering shenanigans.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:45 pm

KeithE wrote:(1) Trump’s history establish him as a racist (not just his falsely-applied “go back to where you came from” statement to the 4 ladies - 3 of them born in the USA and all 4 are USA citizens)

An Oral History of Trump’s Bigotry
Jon Meacham: Trump joined Andrew Johnson as ‘most racist president in American history
Are you OK with a racist president, Republicans?

(I am appalled that as much as 20-40% of America are influenced by these racist beliefs.)

I want to make another distinction about the degree of racism (and other - isms)

Pure 100% racism would say a person believes that 100% of the target's race/gender/ethnicity (all of these are unarguably genetic-based) are inferior is some profound way based on who they were at birth. I do not think Trump believes all blacks are inferior to all whites.

But back in his history he did discriminate against 100% of blacks in housing. He is clearly highly racist in his past. Today he has hired Ben Carson (ironically in housing) and for awhile had hired Amarosa for his staff (of something, perhaps being a beautiful token) and tried to get Herman Cain hired for a Fed position (perhaps for being a good old boy misogynist). IOW, blacks can get points for political persuasions or lifestyle.

But blacks will lose points for being women, having been born outside the USA (or have grandparents born elsewhere {ironically like himself and especially his wife}). They will really lose points if they are proposing political ideas outside what he is paying attention to (or he believes his base dislike).

His hatred of all Democrats is apparent but it pales in comparison when several intersecting characteristics (women, non-white, political liberalism) exist simultaneously. This is both for political reasons and Trump’s own -isms.

Our only hope is that Americans will stand up and vote Trump out of office (or better yet be impeached/removed).
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:52 pm

I don't think Trump is necessarily much of a racist.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:17 pm

Haruo wrote:I don't think Trump is necessarily much of a racist.

Have you read the three linked articles in the post 2 above?

I would agree that he does not think all blacks are inferior and his rhetoric lately may be just a ploy to maintain/capture a white nationalist {not “vital" - darn spellchecker} voting bloc. But his early life points racist, imo.
Last edited by KeithE on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:50 am

He has used the coded language of Southern racism with expertise, according to a lot of Southern whites whom I hear. They believe he is on their side.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 am

Dave Roberts wrote:

He has used the coded language of Southern racism with expertise, according to a lot of Southern whites whom I hear. They believe he is on their side.

Agreed. He is definitely using racism (as you say with expertise) but I also believe he is quite racist himself - his history shows that.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 am

KeithE wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:

Agreed. He is definitely using racism (as you say with expertise) but I also believe he is quite racist himself - his history shows that.

Maybe he stores his racism in his fatty tissues rather than in his bones like Southern whites typically do.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:34 am

Dave Roberts wrote:

I hear the same thing Either he's been incredibly well briefed, which seems unlikely since he doesn't do conservative religious jargon really well, or he is well aware of the terminology. He heads south to do "rallies" when he needs to get a cheering, jeering crowd in the picture, stays away from the larger cities and from places where his opposition has a base of support to protest.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Greenville, NC, despite its remote location, is a university town with a quite diverse population surrounding East Carolina University which includes a medical school and a number of other professional schools. Trump came during the summer when few of them were there, used a university arena, and has students and those without tickets barricaded up to 3 blocks away beyond the tv coverage. Protesters were there, but they were invisible to the arena area, as were students who wanted to say anything negative.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:56 pm

Keith wrote:...back in his history he did discriminate against 100% of blacks in housing. He is clearly highly racist in his past. Today he has hired Ben Carson (ironically in housing...

Maybe he was just trying to be a good citizen, obeying the terms of the covenant under which his family acquired the property. The house Mrs. H. and I live in, originally, came with the stipulation that you could not rent it to a non-white tenant, except that you could rent sleeping quarters to a live-in domestic servant.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:14 pm

From Gerry Milligan...to go further...I don't think trump is much of anything. Unless you count draft-dodging, misogynistic, lying, adulterer, etc., etc. as "anything."
Joseph Patrick

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:17 pm

From Gerry Milligan...in an earlier post I posted a comment about "Birds of a feather," referring to those appointed to various posts by the draft-dodging president. Now, let us go another step or two into this by inquiring as to his Trump-loving/apologists/supporters who claim to be evangelistic. Are they are so vociferous in their trump-loving support because they personify and exhibit his core behavior? It would be nice if they could cogently explain their overwhelming support.
Joseph Patrick

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues