[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Min Wage Increase - It’s Past Time

Min Wage Increase - It’s Past Time

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Min Wage Increase - It’s Past Time

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Just one more offering before bed. Please read it all (I will not quote key points because there are so many key points) and ponder how much better poor Americans would be for a minimum of costs if we just raise the minimum wage to $15/hr.

It has worked well where it has been tried (e.g. , Haruo can you comment?). The CBO report above says overall consumer prices would only rise 0.3%, 1.3 million would lose their jobs (half of those teenagers), but 27.3 million of the poorest earners would gain wages (some as much as 100%). Business would lose $14 B /year in profits which is a drop in the bucket (0.175%) of the current annual profits of US businesses .

In August this will make it through the House but McConnell will not allow the Senate to vote on it and Trump would probably not sign it anyway. Call your Rep.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Min Wage Increase - It’s Past Time

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:36 am

Instead of this annual "dog and pony show," Congress should simply index the minimum wage to the CPI as they have done with Social Security, military, and government retirement benefits. They would much prefer to put on their annual show than to actually solve a problem.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:58 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 am

By my thinking, such a bill should go back to 1962 when the minimum wage was $1/hr and adjust for inflation from that point forward. That would put the current minimum between $10 and $11/hr.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:08 pm

Odd. Mr data driven presumes to know my state of mind.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Interested to see how the Yang approach (Universal Guaranteed Income) works out in practice. I heard Stockton was planning to implement it.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:25 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:51 am

No Keith. You aren't sharp enough. Detracts from your point. You need to get this.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 pm

I'll be glad to edumacate my old friend: don't act like you know my state-of-mind.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:55 am

You foolishly wrote that I was " bitter". I said you don't know my SOM. Now you ask that I explain my SOM?

Here's your problem: You attribute spiritual, moral, and emotional problems to those who disagree with you on political issues. Stick with the data. Stop with the moralizing.

A number of states and municipalities have instituted a $15 minimum wage. We'll see how that works out. A living wage is the libs holy grail. Are all of the dem candidates on board with this? What's preventing them from insisting that all who currently work for them be so paid? Presumably, since this is a moral issue for you, you insist on your church, on the commercial establishments where you spend your money, providing a living wage. You've asked your yard guy what he is paid? The servers where you dine? Oh, you'll wait until the gummit to compel employers (by force if necessary) to do this?

Of course, if it's not a moral issue and is just about politicians getting votes, then never mind.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:30 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:28 pm

I'd drive to Alabama to vote for you over Roy Moore and it isn't about the hat.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Heck, I'd vote early and often.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Maybe the red hat is so your fellow Alabamians will mistake you for Mr. MAGA and vote for you by accident?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:33 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:29 am

Seems to be some cachet with a bright, red hat. If I wanted to call Keith a liberal pinko commie I have the vocab for that. Roy Moore looking silly in a cowboy hat...Keith looking Trumpian in a red hat. There's a thought.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues