American Concentration Camps

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: American Concentration Camps

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:Do you see what is happening? You all are spending all his time arguing about what to call the camps. Its a big mistake to focus on that and not the plight of the children. Call it whatever the heck you want, but get those kids better facilities, food and care!

From Gerry Milligan...Yes, Timothy, I do see what is happening. It should be intolerable that there is a situation where people are dehumanized and some people go "bat guano" crazy over what it is called. Instead, we should be trying to find a way to make these internment camps fit for humans.
Joseph Patrick

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Joseph Patrick wrote:From Gerry Milligan...Yes, Timothy, I do see what is happening. It should be intolerable that there is a situation where people are dehumanized and some people go "bat guano" crazy over what it is called. Instead, we should be trying to find a way to make these internment camps fit for humans.

The problem is calling it a concentration camp insures that we don't talk about the right d*mn thing. As a Democrat I would say it is a huge miscalculation to do so. We shouldn't be further politicizing this. We should just get these children the help that they need and deal with the politics afterwards.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:54 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:
William Thornton wrote:

...and then complain when called on it that it's a distraction from the real issue. Whose fault is that?

Darned if I don't at least partially agree with William. Don't use the term "concentration camp" if you don't want the terminology to become a distraction.

And William's use of the phrase “confiscated by force” (when referring simply to taxes while still using many services provided by those taxes) is also a distraction.

The border’s “detainee camps” are not as bad as the Holocaust camps that ended in many thousands of executions. But I believe these camps are more concentrated in terms of the original meaning of the word “concentration” - more people per square foot. And that is very bad.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:25 pm

William Thornton wrote: Defending the use of nazi terminology is bat guano crazy.

The term "concentration camp" is not Nazi terminology. You're the one who jumped to the conclusion that it was a comparison. You don't see any comparison in my comments. The distraction has involved your posts. Is your response indicating that you're not interested and that you are OK with the way asylum seekers from Central America are being treated once they cross the border?

https://sojo.net/articles/james-dobsons ... -dangerous

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/border-pa ... the-smell/

Dobson's comments, well, predictable and probably shared by a lot of people who mix their faith with extremist right wing politics.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:19 am

Nonsense. My old friend doth protest to much. Stop 100 people on the street. Ask them what a cc is. Those who aren't uneducated will go straight to Auschwicz and Dachau.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:48 pm

The question ought not to be, "Is this a concentration camp?" The question must be, "If these were our children, would it be acceptable to put them in these conditions?" If we say no, then Jesus Golden Rule convicts us of our sinfulness as a nation claiming to live from Judeo-Christian principles and certainly any of us who claim to be Christians.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:13 pm

William Thornton wrote:Nonsense. My old friend doth protest to much. Stop 100 people on the street. Ask them what a cc is. Those who aren't uneducated will go straight to Auschwicz and Dachau.

From Gerry Milligan...William, how long are you going to beat this dead horse? The designation of how children and adults are imprisoned, not cared for, living in abominable conditions is not nearly as important as the fact that this Republican administration allows people to be caged, not had their basic needs met when they were seeking asylum from tyranny and death squads.
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:08 am

Joseph Patrick wrote:
William Thornton wrote:Nonsense. My old friend doth protest to much. Stop 100 people on the street. Ask them what a cc is. Those who aren't uneducated will go straight to Auschwicz and Dachau.

From Gerry Milligan...William, how long are you going to beat this dead horse? The designation of how children and adults are imprisoned, not cared for, living in abominable conditions is not nearly as important as the fact that this Republican administration allows people to be caged, not had their basic needs met when they were seeking asylum from tyranny and death squads.

Or, how long will trumphaters lie. Goebbels would be proud of the american left. You've got the liars, the baby exterminators, and the antifa Brownshirts. If you want elevated dialogue then elevate your own.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:59 am

William Thornton wrote:

Or, how long will trumphaters lie. Goebbels would be proud of the american left. You've got the liars, the baby exterminators, and the antifa Brownshirts. If you want elevated dialogue then elevate your own.

So Trump is the new savior of the right, certainly not Jesus. At least, that is how what you are saying sounds.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:06 am

Dave Roberts wrote:The question ought not to be, "Is this a concentration camp?" The question must be, "If these were our children, would it be acceptable to put them in these conditions?" If we say no, then Jesus Golden Rule convicts us of our sinfulness as a nation claiming to live from Judeo-Christian principles and certainly any of us who claim to be Christians.

Amen.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 am

William Thornton wrote:
Joseph Patrick wrote:

From Gerry Milligan...A very good idea, William; that is to elevate our dialog. When will you quit beating this dead horse and elevate your dialog? You talk about lies by those of us who are not trumplovers/apologists while not speaking to the subject of the deplorable conditions that exist on the border. Those of us who are not trumplovers/apologists see where this administration has over 9,000 untruthful/misleading statements. Why will you not address the problem, William? (That is not what to call these camps, but why are they still in existence)
Joseph Patrick

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:18 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:The question ought not to be, "Is this a concentration camp?" The question must be, "If these were our children, would it be acceptable to put them in these conditions?" If we say no, then Jesus Golden Rule convicts us of our sinfulness as a nation claiming to live from Judeo-Christian principles and certainly any of us who claim to be Christians.

Exactly!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Lie about what? The conditions in these detention centers? No one is lying about that, there are too many eyewitnesses. Trump's behavior? Do you think this would be going on, the secrecy, keeping people away and the bureaucratic snafus that have created this tangle would be happening if he hadn't given the orders for it? No one is lying about Trump though it seems that a lot of people are certainly deluded by him.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:13 pm

{ Tim Bonney"]

Exactly![/quote]

Ed: In My opinion you are both wrong. If these where my children I would not have dragged them hundreds of miles into this situation.

Come the next election I will be noticing how candidates on my ballot have responded to the crisis at the border and when.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:24 pm

KeithE wrote:

Amen.

And Amen.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:08 am

JE Pettibone wrote: .
In My opinion you are both wrong. If these where my children I would not have dragged them hundreds of miles into this situation.

So you'd have kept your children in a tin hut with a mud floor, no food, watching the drug lords recruit teenaged boys to distribute their stuff, collect money for it and be part of their private army, having them steal what little you have left and watch them starve or be murdered, or left as orphans to fend for themselves rather than risk a shot at getting into that prosperous land of opportunity to the north that has promoted itself as such for as long as you can remember? None of us has ever experienced what is the daily existence for most of those refugees coming to our southern border.
Sandy
Sandy

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues