Joe Biden the strongest Democratic presidential candidate?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Joe Biden the strongest Democratic presidential candidate?

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 am

Trent Lott thinks Joe Biden is the strongest Democratic presidential candidate
“Joe will be able to perpetuate the image of Uncle Joe, and he is pleasant. He is qualified,” Lott, a Mississippi Republican, said in an interview for the Yahoo News podcast “The Long Game.”

Would Joe Biden be the strongest candidate, or even a strong candidate, for the Democrats in 2020?
Rvaughn

Re: Joe Biden the strongest Democratic presidential candidat

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:55 am

I humbly suggest Nicolas Maduro for the Dems. He probably has time to learn English and handle the citizenship thing.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:46 am

Biden would get hammered, IMO. He's a great guy, very interesting and experienced but put him on a presidential campaign for 18 months...
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:52 am

Rvaughn wrote:Trent Lott thinks Joe Biden is the strongest Democratic presidential candidate
“Joe will be able to perpetuate the image of Uncle Joe, and he is pleasant. He is qualified,” Lott, a Mississippi Republican, said in an interview for the Yahoo News podcast “The Long Game.”

Would Joe Biden be the strongest candidate, or even a strong candidate, for the Democrats in 2020?

Biden would be a strong candidate if he decides to run. Whether he would be strong enough to win the nomination, I wouldn't venture a guess. If he announced, he would be a factor in weeding out the field, but the Democrats have some sharp, talented and accomplished candidates running, lots of youth and lots of women. The possibility of winning in 2020 gives Democrats a rare opportunity to choose a candidate that reflects their future rather than "electability" weighing in as heavily as it usually does. Any Democrat who runs will beat Trump into the ground if he's still around to run. If it's Pence, then it will be an even worse pounding.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Looks like Biden is considering it, but up to this point, even though he hasn't officially announced, he's at the top of the Democratic field in terms of preference, with some pretty strong numbers. That's not surprising, really. He's been one of the top Democrats with the ability to unite what has sometimes been an unruly group of various causes and interests. It's more than just a bit ironic that Biden and Sanders have been the two Democrats around whom the younger voters rally. RCP lists some polls which show him with pretty high preference numbers. Match him up with a running mate like Elizabeth Warren, Kristen Gillibrand, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris or even Beto O'Rourke and you would have a ticket that the GOP couldn't beat, whether Trump is still around then, or whether the GOP has to run the pitifully weak Pence.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:27 pm

I hope the Democrats don't commit the same kind of mistake that the GOP did in 2016 with so many candidate that the positive ones knocked each other off leaving Trump as the front runner. The field seems to be getting very crowded.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:I hope the Democrats don't commit the same kind of mistake that the GOP did in 2016 with so many candidate that the positive ones knocked each other off leaving Trump as the front runner. The field seems to be getting very crowded.

That thought has occurred to me, too. But it's not "the Democrats" that do it, it's each of the "extra" candidates, and it's between them and God to decide if they're extras or potential winners.

On the topic of Biden, I think there's a real risk that he will cause many of the people who would show up and vote for others to stay home, because he is so mainstream. A lot of people have basically said "a pox on both your houses" to the mainstream elements in both parties. Hopefully fear and dislike of Trump will trump that sentiment if it comes to that.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:52 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/joe-biden-announces-2020-after-rocky-start-103821108.html
Uncle Joe's hat is now officially thrown in the ring. I think I heard that makes 20 Democrats officially announced.
It’s been a long, strange trip for Joe Biden, who officially jumped into the crowded field of Democrats running for president on Thursday morning with a call to defend our “core values.”

Following months of speculation and rumors, the former vice president made his announcement with a short video in which he focused on the violent August 2017 white supremacist rallies in Charlottesville, Va. Biden noted the ensuing clashes left a woman who came to protest the neo-Nazis dead. He then recounted President Trump’s response.
Rvaughn

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues