At this point ...

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

At this point ...

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:11 am

In the Shutdown battle, I would recommend:
- trying to get Trump to sign the $13B House plus up Omnibus Bill* ($5B for the Border Security + $8B for additional disaster relief) -after Senate approval of course - with a proviso that a multi-partisan, blue chip (i.e. experts) panel decides how best to use the $5B “Border Security” (possibilities include the “wall” or “steel slats", more Infrared surveillance with expanded capture teams, increasing asylum processing throughput**, aid/advice to golden triangle countries to curb the desire to “caravan”, health care to those stuck at border in temporary “shelters”, etc, etc.). That panel’s recommendations should be binding and finished ASAP. It is plain silly to have non-expert politicians arguing over what is needed most in controlling immigration to help the USA. The disaster relief is a good, compassionate thing! Ironically and sadly the Shutdown will affect border security as long as it is still in shutdown. Add a minor financial transaction tax*** to pay for this and much more.

In the removal of troops battle, I would recommend:
-getting out of the Middle East (as Trump is doing);
-signaling that we are no longer against Isalmists; and
-signaling that we are no longer pro-Israel on all matters even their massively disproportionate assaults on Palestinians.
Getting troops out while remaining anti-muslim, pro-isreal won’t quell anything - it may even mean attacks on the Homeland.

In the Trump corruption battle, let the impeachment start early next year.

What is your take on these three items?

----------------------------------------

As I see it, Trump’s legal troubles are causing him to attempt to do all things Trump promised in campaign before he is further compromised perhaps removed. Trump’s actions the last two days have been caused by
1) a sort of personal spasm attack about his ego/legacy;
2) calls from Putin**** and perhaps from Erdogan (wrt to Syria retreat)
3) calls from Limbaugh/Coulter/Hannity/Ingraham/Freedom Caucus/etc.
(no guess as to which has been most important among the 3 reasons above)

* Read House passes spending bill with $5 billion border wall funding

After meeting with Mr. Trump, House Republicans worked through the afternoon to present their alternative funding bill that includes the president's $5 billion for border wall funding and $8 billion dollars for disaster relief funding for parts of the country struck hard by storms and fires in the past year, said GOP whip Rep. Steve Scalise.

** Read Asylum Meters & Bans: Trump’s New Border Regime Violates the United States’ Duties under International Refugee Law that the US is a party to! (rvaughn: note this).

*** Read A financial transaction tax would help ensure Wall Street works for Main Street.

A well-designed financial transaction tax (FTT)—a small levy placed on the sale of stocks, bonds, derivatives, and other investments—would be an efficient and progressive way to generate tax revenues. Gross revenues from a well-designed FTT would likely range from $110 billion to $403 billion {a year}.

**** Read Putin praises Trump's Syria withdrawal plan
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: At this point ...

Postby Haruo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Keith wrote:-signaling that we are no longer against Isalmists;
Whoa!

Makes a huge difference what you mean by "Islamists"! The term is usually employed to describe a subset of humanity that we certainly should be against, as much as we are against the KKK. Sounds to me like you're using it (I hope) as a synonym of "Muslims". As if when we said KKK we meant "white folks".
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Haruo wrote:
Keith wrote:-signaling that we are no longer against Isalmists;
Whoa!

Makes a huge difference what you mean by "Islamists"! The term is usually employed to describe a subset of humanity that we certainly should be against, as much as we are against the KKK. Sounds to me like you're using it (I hope) as a synonym of "Muslims". As if when we said KKK we meant "white folks".

Thanks Haruo,
I Just looked it up and I did not understand what “Islamist" meant.

An advocate or supporter of a political movement that favors reordering government and society in accordance with laws prescribed by Islam. Do not use as a synonym for Islamic fighters, militants, extremists or radicals, who may or may not be Islamists.

“Muslim" would have been better.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:08 am

Donald Trump: "We are going to build the wall, and Mexico will pay for it."

So where's the check from the Mexican government Mr. Orange Hair? Why are you shutting down the government because they won't fund your ridiculous boondoggle? The promise was that you would build a border wall, and Mexico would pay for it.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues