More Points to Ponder from Paul Buchheit

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

More Points to Ponder from Paul Buchheit

Postby KeithE » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:24 am

Facts That Privileged Americans Don't Want Us to Know
1. Tax Haven Cheating is Much Costlier than the Annual Safety Net—But the IRS Keeps Getting CUT

2. Our Own Country is the World's Second Biggest Tax Haven

3. Record Low Unemployment? Yes, Because One Hour of Work Counts as Employed

4. We're Gradually Giving Away Our Country's Wealth to the Children of the Rich

5. As We Keep Shooting Each Other, Our Leaders Keep Cutting Mental Health Care

Read the details in the link above.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: More Points to Ponder from Paul Buchheit

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:35 am

I have no doubt about any of the above. What I doubt is the political will, in a Citizens United world, to work for the common good. I have been reading "American Dialogue," a book which looks at the issues of today through the eyes of the founding fathers. The chapter on John Adams explores Adams' warnings against developing an elite ruling class which reflected Europe's history. It seems that Adams' warnings are precisely on target with the world we have developed from Reagan forward.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:10 am

Dave Roberts wrote:I have no doubt about any of the above. What I doubt is the political will, in a Citizens United world, to work for the common good. I have been reading "American Dialogue," a book which looks at the issues of today through the eyes of the founding fathers. The chapter on John Adams explores Adams' warnings against developing an elite ruling class which reflected Europe's history. It seems that Adams' warnings are precisely on target with the world we have developed from Reagan forward.

I agree. It is incredible that the Top 1% gets more annual income than the Bottom 50%.

Source: U.S. Inequality Keeps Getting Uglier

Looks like a good book. American Dialogue
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:23 am

Dave Roberts wrote:I have no doubt about any of the above. What I doubt is the political will, in a Citizens United world, to work for the common good.

FDR's Second Bill of Rights (offered January 11, 1944 to Congress towards the end of WWII) serves as an aspiration goal for the “Common good”.

- The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
- The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
- The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
- The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
- The right of every family to a decent home;
- The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
- The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
- The right to a good education.

Much of Scandinavia has obtained most of this. We can do it, too! But not as long as corporate/rich money controls political thought.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:44 am

KeithE wrote:FDR's Second Bill of Rights (offered January 11, 1944 to Congress towards the end of WWII) serves as an aspiration goal for the “Common good”.

- The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
- The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
- The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
- The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
- The right of every family to a decent home;
- The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
- The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
- The right to a good education.

Much of Scandinavia has obtained most of this. We can do it, too! But not as long as corporate/rich money controls political thought.

What never ceases to amaze me was that FDR was a member of the "one-percent" or pretty close thereto, but he saw the broader picture of our nation. Our current leadership is not open to see the broader picture.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:11 pm

KeithE wrote:It is incredible that the Top 1% gets more annual income than the Bottom 50%.

Yeah, I can't quite figure out if it's because they work that much harder, or because they put in that many more hours. No, wait, this is America. It must be because we the people don't want the rich to starve.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues