[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A Banana Republic?

A Banana Republic?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

A Banana Republic?

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:39 pm

From Gerry Milligan...in our 32 years with the FMB/IMB we lived in some countries where the practices of the ruler were emblematic of a banana republic country. Romania was probably the worst offender under Emil Chauchescu. Dissenting with the government did not guarantee a long life. So, how do we explain the current president wanting to prosecute people who did not grovel at his feet? It makes me think of a banana republic.
Joseph Patrick

Re: A Banana Republic?

Postby Haruo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:54 pm

Much agreement.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:43 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:28 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:19 am

Joseph Patrick

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 am

Who is the one person there is evidence Trump caused the death of? Gerry or anyone?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:28 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:33 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Joseph Patrick » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:04 am

Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:20 am

Esoterica isn't the problem. I suspect that you are capable of an intelligent discussion about American politics.Unfortunately, you demonstrated in a couple of different ways that you weren't interested in such for this topic.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:31 am

Trump is certainly responsible for some of the at the US/Mexico Border in 2017 alone (scroll down and add) and some of the 401 migrates deaths along the border (click map numbers and add) so far in 2018.

Bush, Obama, Trump and especially the Saudis are responsible for the estimated in Yemen.

Many of the in Puerto Rico are due to a lackluster (or worse) response from the Trump administration.

Need I go on. It is very difficult to isolate “causation” on any person/group for any needless death; but Trump is certainly callous to many in mortal need. I will say that I do not know of any political assassinations (physical ones at least) ordered by Trump.

------------------

To the point of being a “banana republic” just look at Trump’s wishes to have control over our institutions - Courts, Justice Department, Media, Congress. He has been quite open about his frustrated wishes for like that of Putin, Xi Jinping, Duterte, Kim Jong Un, Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, Erdogan and the Saudi princes.

I’m thankful that (for the most part) Trump does these power grabs sufficiently openly for the media to notice; but am highly puzzled that many Trump supporters remain supporters. Double puzzled about Christians supporting him.

William (effectively a Trump supporter) keeps telling us to "take pills” and ignore all of Trump's antics. I’ll recommend enough caffeine to keep reading the tea leaves and do what you can to suppress the many degradations (to our country and the world) coming from Trumpism.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Sandy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:03 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:18 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:22 pm

This board has two cons, JLE and me, and Ed when he weighs in on politics. David too, but he doesn't comment on politics.

I don't feel compelled to address the chicken little, hair-on-fire, breathless discoveries of the ihatetrump section, unless it involves nonsense like Ceausescu. Didn't vote for trump.

But you guys have at it. I suppose it's therapeutic for you.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Joseph Patrick

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues