A Banana Republic?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: A Banana Republic?

Postby William Thornton » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Yeah, that smooths things over a lot. I'm not too emotionally invested in political discussion here. I did think you were in trump-DS with the Ceausescu thing. Not unusual nor a big deal. I'll have you know that I am educated beyond my intelligence and my patience.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Joseph Patrick wrote:From Gerry Milligan...you are partially correct, esoterica is not the problem...the problem is how some ignore the subject and the point of this string; choosing instead to obfuscate and try to hijack it and ignore that the focus is on how trump, similar to banana republic despots, tried to prosecute people who disagree with him. The difference, in the USA, is that our despot does not have control of the free press as many despots did.
No attempt to obfuscate or hijack on my part -- I merely commented on your comparing Ceausescu and Trump, then mysteriously denying that you were. If you think they compare, then why deny it.

Case closed as far as I am concerned. If you like, feel free to ignore my posts in the future.
Last edited by Rvaughn on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:56 pm

William Thornton wrote:This board has two cons, JLE and me, and Ed when he weighs in on politics. David too, but he doesn't comment on politics.
Two cons? By which you mean conservatives? I'm highly incensed!
Rvaughn

Postby David Flick » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:34 am

William Thornton wrote:This board has two cons, JLE and me, and Ed when he weighs in on politics. David too, but he doesn't comment on politics.

Yes, count me in the conservative column politically. I refrain from discussing secular politics because, generally, the liberals don't have a lick of common sense. Neither do they have a smidgen of a sense of humor. They take themselves way too seriously and have a boatload of holier-than-thou self-righteousness. IMO, it's useless to attempt to discuss or debate politics with them. I'm content to watch them flail hopelessly at trying to get rid of Donald Trump.

I was a political theological moderate during the SBC Takeover. After the SBC (at the state convention level) kicked me out, I became an American Baptist pastor (ABCUSA). I continue to be a theological moderate but am out of the loop now. I'm content to just watch others discuss and debate theology, ecclesiaology, and politics.
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:24 am

Rvaughn wrote:

Two, yea three cons. Sorry.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:10 pm

William Thornton wrote:
Rvaughn wrote:

Two, yea three cons. Sorry.

It is not like you are totally outnumbered; just outnumbered.

Myself, Sandy, Timothy, Haruo, Dave and lately Joseph Patrick on the mod/lib side (and Sandy is a con religiously). Occasionally Neil, Bruce, Fox throw in a comment. 5 regulars, 3 occassionals.

Jon, William, RVaughn on the con side. Occassional Ed, David. 3 regulars, 2 occasionals.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:28 pm

David Flick] I continue to be a theological moderate but am out of the loop now.[/quote] Out of the loop? Are you still affiliated with ABC-USA?

[quote="David Flick wrote:
I'm content to watch them flail hopelessly at trying to get rid of Donald Trump.

I would not call an overperformance of stated electoral objectives in the mid-terms "flailing hopelessly." There is an ongoing investigation that has hit successfully on every criminal charge it has issued thus far, and which the orange hair has, to use your term, "flailed helplessly" at attempting to shut down. The Democrats just overperformed their own stated objectives in a mid-term election which was very much about the effort to get rid of Donald Trump, in spite of all of the understated rhetoric. Given the indictments and confessions that the ongoing investigation has produced, and where all the evidence they've gathered is pointing, pretty clearly as far as I can see, I'd say the effort to get rid of Donald Trump is well organized, the objective clear and the result just a matter of time.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Yeah, and if all that fails there's an election in less than two years...the old fashioned method of replacing pols, win one of those.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Two, yea three cons. Sorry.[/quote]
It is not like you are totally outnumbered; just outnumbered.

Myself, Sandy, Timothy, Haruo, Dave and lately Joseph Patrick on the mod/lib side (and Sandy is a con religiously). Occasionally Neil, Bruce, Fox throw in a comment. 5 regulars, 3 occassionals.

Jon, William, RVaughn on the con side. Occassional Ed, David. 3 regulars, 2 occasionals.[/quote]

I demand minority privileges, some set asides, etc.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:48 pm

William Thornton wrote:Yeah, and if all that fails there's an election in less than two years...the old fashioned method of replacing pols, win one of those.

Yes, of course elections. It's a process through which the Democrats got a big boost this month. But no one is above the law and there are times when office holders have committed crimes requiring action that can't, and shouldn't wait until there is an election. Conservatives were all for that when it came to the remote possibility that a few emails sent over Hillary Clinton's private email server at the state department might have contained classified information (a policy violation but questionable as to whether it was against the law, and they never could come up with a specific law). But not so much when the focus of an investigation is Trump. Quite a contrast, the two investigations. Clinton is exonerated, no indictments, no actual evidence of a law that was broken and it turns out her server was probably more secure than the government-owned one at the state department. The Trump investigation, on the other hand, has produced indictments, confessions, mountains of evidence and obstruction of justice in attempts to shut it down. BTW, Clinton's email issues are moot, now, in that Trump and his daughter have both used their personal cell phones and email to send out all kinds of information, including some that has been evaluated as classified. But there's no investigation now, because his party is in charge of the committee. That is, until the election results bring in a new congress.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:33 am

Joseph Patrick wrote:From Gerry Milligan...in our 32 years with the FMB/IMB we lived in some countries where the practices of the ruler were emblematic of a banana republic country. Romania was probably the worst offender under Emil Chauchescu. Dissenting with the government did not guarantee a long life. So, how do we explain the current president wanting to prosecute people who did not grovel at his feet? It makes me think of a banana republic.

My first trip overseas many years ago was to Romania. I have Romanians in my church. One of my dearest friends, who is now an American citizen - he waited in line - he served in the Army fighting Emil Chauchescu and was shot during the war. He knows first hand, not just book learned Romanian politics. He disagrees with you and the comparison of Emil Chauchescu to Trump.

I don't talk politics with the church members. Too many differences and that's not why I am here.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:23 am

I believe the dictator in question in Romania was Nicolae Ceausescu? I would agree that there is not an across the board comparison with Trump in that Ceausescu had no real restraints in a true dictatorship. However, in attitude toward those restraints and tweets which lay out action plans before checking whether they can be carried out or not, Trump bears a resemblance. The tone is the same. And the lack of understanding for people other than himself and his own inner circle is definitely present. When GM announced that it was laying off workers and closing plants, a move due in part to Trump's trade deals and economic policy, he got mad and threatened to stop their federal subsidies. The problem is that he can't. Those were budget bills passed by congress and signed into law. He can't veto or act on them and an exec order would just be worthless paper. But he talks big.

Jon Estes wrote:I don't talk politics with the church members. Too many differences and that's not why I am here.

A very wise and more than likely a very effective practice.
Sandy
Sandy

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues