Sessions Out, Matt Whitaker In

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Sessions Out, Matt Whitaker In

Postby KeithE » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Of course ya’ll know about this but here is one article about it:
Donald Trump just seized control of the Russia probe

Trump announced that Matt Whitaker, Sessions' chief of staff at Justice, would become the acting Attorney General, a post he can hold for roughly 200 days because he has not been confirmed previously by the Senate.

But even having Whitaker in the job for the next 100 days could be enough for Trump. Whitaker has been openly critical of the breadth of Mueller's investigation and even mused on this chain of events in a 2017 interview with CNN:

"I could see a scenario where Jeff Sessions is replaced, it would recess appointment and that attorney general doesn't fire Bob Mueller, but he just reduces his budget to so low that his investigations grinds to almost a halt.”

Given Whitaker's past comments, Democrats immediately called on him to recuse himself from oversight of the Muller probe. Which, um, ain't happening.

My opinion: This is clearly portending “obstruction of justice” possibly during the “recess period” when there is still no immediate check on Trump.

What do ya’ll think?

-------------------------

BTW, there 900 protests called for tomorrow at 5:00pm local time BREAKING: PROTESTS CALLED FOR THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 5 PM LOCAL TIME
Doubt if all that will happen but pray for safety given the prevalence of armed white nationalists.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Sessions Out, Matt Whitaker In

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:22 am

Headline from fake news HQ, CNN. Forgive me if I'm not breathless over it.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:09 pm

William Thornton wrote:Headline from fake news HQ, CNN. Forgive me if I'm not breathless over it.

I agree with you that the CNN headline is pre-mature. But the die is cast and as I said it portends a furtherance of obstructive of justice. Like you I will continue breathing, but I will have an eye on the actions and words of Whitaker/Trump.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Kellyanne Conway's husband (forgot his name) says that the Constitution is clear, that the AG position is a high enough one that it can only be filled by someone who has been approved for office (not necessarily this particular office) by the Senate's advise and consent process, which has not been done for Whitaker. Thus he is illegally filling the position, and any action he might take would also be illegal. Perhaps he's right. Trump has never been one to be constrained very tightly by legalities, so we'll see what happens.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Too little too late. Mueller's investigation is probably just about over or close to it. So Trump closes it down, which most Senate Republicans say would constitute an obstruction of justice, and Adam Schiff's committee in the House simply subpoena's the findings and the evidence (yes they can) and takes it from there.

Trump keeps narrowing his base and alienating segments of the GOP. Sessions had a political following, particularly in the South. Blasting Republicans who didn't want to be seen with him isn't going to expand his inner-party support either. Most of the candidates who did campaign with him lost on Tuesday.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues