And while attention was focused on the SCOTUS hearings...

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

And while attention was focused on the SCOTUS hearings...

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:58 am

...a jury in Chicago convicted a police officer of second-degree murder, and sixteen counts of aggravated battery in the shooting of an African American teenager in 2014.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
Sandy

Re: And while attention was focused on the SCOTUS hearings..

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:23 am

So if we are tired of discussing politics, I'll bring this back up to the top, because the news coverage at the time buried it, and it is pretty significant. This was quite a tragedy, in more ways than one. I believe it is the first time since "Black Lives Matter" that a jury came up with a guilty verdict against a police officer.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/laqu ... story.html The trial has dominated the local news for weeks. Media sidebar stories about the police officer, his family and his life, and the shooting victim, his life and his family helped a lot of people see that this whole thing was a lose-lose situation, and that it is time for more than just thoughts and prayers.

Here's the video of the shooting--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkxV6oUCOs
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:31 am

What's the Loretta Lynch connection?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 am

Sandy wrote:So if we are tired of discussing politics, I'll bring this back up to the top, because the news coverage at the time buried it, and it is pretty significant. This was quite a tragedy, in more ways than one. I believe it is the first time since "Black Lives Matter" that a jury came up with a guilty verdict against a police officer.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/laqu ... story.html The trial has dominated the local news for weeks. Media sidebar stories about the police officer, his family and his life, and the shooting victim, his life and his family helped a lot of people see that this whole thing was a lose-lose situation, and that it is time for more than just thoughts and prayers.

Here's the video of the shooting--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkxV6oUCOs

From the evidence shown and shared... the police officer was guilty. It never should have happened.
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:57 am

First let me enter a disclaimer. I am the son of a law-enforcement officer, and am certified as a 911-communications officer in Virginia. I don't have the personnel records of the officer involved in this shooting, but firing 16 times at someone armed with a 3-inch knife tells me that he totally lost it under stress. I would almost bank on the fact that this officer was a military veteran (as most of them are), and that he suffered from untreated PTSD. In such a circumstance, we all bear some of the guilt for not making treatment more available to our vets. It has been a pattern for many officer involved shootings that went out of control to have the common element of PTSD.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 am

Dave Roberts wrote:First let me enter a disclaimer. I am the son of a law-enforcement officer, and am certified as a 911-communications officer in Virginia. I don't have the personnel records of the officer involved in this shooting, but firing 16 times at someone armed with a 3-inch knife tells me that he totally lost it under stress. I would almost bank on the fact that this officer was a military veteran (as most of them are), and that he suffered from untreated PTSD. In such a circumstance, we all bear some of the guilt for not making treatment more available to our vets. It has been a pattern for many officer involved shootings that went out of control to have the common element of PTSD.

I don't recall reading much about his background. He is not a veteran, but has been with CPD for 14 years. He had a higher than average number of citizen complaints, including one racial slur, but no disciplinary action. They worked in a precinct with a higher than average crime rate, and some pretty bad pockets. But any officer who has worked for CPD for 14 years would have faced some pretty dangerous and stressful situations. Obviously something was going on with him, and the tragedy is that someone didn't see it in time to prevent this.

The other tragedy is that Laquan McDonald was acting out because of the circumstances of his own life. He was a throw-away kid, raised by a great grandmother who was the only stability in his life, and who had died when he was 13. His mother wasn't quite back to being able to have custody of him so he bounced around between relatives. SItuations like this usually draw critics who blame "them" for the circumstances that happen in "their" communities and with "their" kids. Who is "they"? He's one of our kids, in our community, in our country.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Follow up on the officer, who has been moved to Rock Island.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/jason ... -mcdonald/
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm astounded that he was acquitted of Official Misconduct by the same jury that convicted him on all those other things. What does that mean? On the surface it looks like it sends a very undesirable message about proper official conduct on the part of a police officer.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Haruo wrote:I'm astounded that he was acquitted of Official Misconduct by the same jury that convicted him on all those other things. What does that mean? On the surface it looks like it sends a very undesirable message about proper official conduct on the part of a police officer.

They found him guilty of second-degree murder, more of a spur of the moment decision than abusing his position as an officer. If they'd have convicted him of first degree, the official misconduct would also have applied. He jumped out of a moving vehicle, gave the victim a single instruction to drop the knife, which was a three inch pocketknife, moved toward the victim and then shot the guy 16 times. Something wasn't right in his mind to make him that unreasonably fearful. The jury didn't see this as an officer abusing his authority, they saw it as an officer making a bad choice before assessing the situation. He also was convicted of the 16 battery charges, one for each shot he fired.

I think if they'd gone ahead with first degree and official misconduct, there would have been room to accuse them of attempting to make an example out of this officer in frustration over other cases where police officers have gotten off when they shouldn't have. Protesters in Chicago invoked the name of Ferguson frequently as this trial went on. One side feared a whitewash, while the other side feared that all of the retribution and frustration of previously lenient verdicts would be brought to bear. This jury did a great job of just sticking to the facts and avoiding all of the hubub.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues