The next SCOTUS nominee has already been canned

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: The next SCOTUS nominee has already been canned

Postby William Thornton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Timothy, I don't dispute your figure of false accusations but it has no application to any specific case. There's no 94% probability that Ford's accusation is true. It's looking more and more like this was not all it started out to be.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:51 am

I don't know that you could put the accuracy or veracity of Dr. Blasey Ford's testimony into percentages. If you look at the risks she took to come forward, including the threats of angry trump deplorables against her and her family which forced her out of her house, the penalty for perjury in a senate hearing, and the overwhelming emotional struggle of re-living a traumatic experience, it would be understandable if she never mentioned it again and didn't bother with it. The obstacles and stigma that go with any woman coming forward with testimony of this sort is exactly why most don't, and why many wait so long. But all of that considered, it affirms the veracity of her testimony.

If she were the only one, then there might be a legitimate appeal to her lack of memory or to a much more politically centered motivation. But there are others, and all combined, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 people who were either direct witnesses, or able to corroborate the pattern of Kavanaugh's behavior, including staff from Georgetown Prep and teaching staff from Yale.

Not much progress has been made in this area since the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas days, when an all-male senate committee simply ignored a pile of corroborating evidence and decided that it was OK to put a justice on the Supreme Court even if he had a long standing reputation as a rear-end grabber with a propositioning potty mouth. Clearly, women who are victims of sexual assault have no advocates in the justice system, nor in the conservative Evangelical branch of Christianity in America. All of those venues think that whatever a man wants to do to a woman is just fine. That is the message that this appointment sends.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
LOL... BK will be on the SCOTUS and DEMS will remain in the minority. GOP is fired up and will swarm the voting stations. Polls are clear.

Loving this.

Evangelicals drinking the cool-aid. No surprises here.

And Christians wonder why the faster and faster growth of the "nones" and the "dones" who want nothing to do with the Church?
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
Sandy wrote:Unsupported and unfounded? No, sorry. There was plenty of corroboration, but the committee shut down any witnesses, hearing only from the victim, and the FBI investigation was prevented from speaking to anyone named as a witness. It was a sham.

It is unfortunate that a partisan political approach has to make voters "mad enough" to bother to show up to vote. Who's "madder"?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/ ... ion-854860
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/01/nearly- ... -poll.html
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/politics ... index.html

Looks like this is making Democrats and independents madder.

LOL... BK will be on the SCOTUS and DEMS will remain in the minority. GOP is fired up and will swarm the voting stations. Polls are clear.

Loving this.

Yep, pretty fired up there, with Trump disapproval at 60%, Kavanaugh disapproval a negative 10. If that's the GGP being "fired up" then the Democrats are going to have a better November than I thought they were going to. Pushing through a nomination to which that many voters were opposed with, if it lands an incompetent on the court, will also push even more Democrats and anti-Trump Republicans to the polls, and that will be a good thing. There is a swarm headed to the polls, but it isn't going to vote Republican.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:56 pm

William Thornton wrote:Timothy, I don't dispute your figure of false accusations but it has no application to any specific case. There's no 94% probability that Ford's accusation is true. It's looking more and more like this was not all it started out to be.

I agree you can't directly apply the figure. But to me it still looks exactly like what it started out to be.

1. The GOP prevents Barack Obama from appointing a Justice during his term.
2. The GOP elects Trump who quite quickly is under investigation by a solid Republic Robert Mueller
3. Trump nominates Kavanaugh because of his strong views on presidential privilege and immunity from prosecution. The GOP likes him because he is a conservative judge.
4. It turns out Kavanaugh has a potential past of being a drunken frat boy who in his drunkedness may have assaulted women.
5. The GOP can't take a chance of not putting a nominee through later on the off chance the Dems take the Senate.
6. The GOP (under pressure) gives the FBI almost no real time to investigate the accusations so that it is likely we will never know for sure if Kavanaugh did or did not do what he was accused of leaving a shadow of mistrust on the SCOTUS for decades to come.
7. The GOP rushes the confirmation of Kavanaugh to protect getting a conservative on the court and Trump getting more protection from potential prosecution.

Casualties of these tactics? The constitutional powers of the President on future nominations when their own party isn't in power, the truth, women who will be taken even less seriously than they are now when they are assaulted by powerful men including judges, clergy, whoever, trust of our elected leaders, and democratic process. Finally, the will of the American people that is regularly circumvented by gerrymandering, brinksmanship, and the Electoral College (a mistake of history used to protect states rights over individual rights.)

Further winners - Wealthy old white men who can continue pretty much get away with anything they want.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:37 pm

The senate did the right thing. He is a great judge with a long appellate record. Who knows? He may swing to your favor. Happens all the time.

Dems sprung the accuser at the last minute and staked it all on her. Turned out to be a sympathetic witness with no evidence. Doesn't matter now but I'd expect more holes in her story. The thing was a disgraceful sham. Dems may have succeeded in pumping up voters...just not only theirs. We will see in a month.

Win some elections. Get your people confirmed. I'd blame it on Hil the inept candidate who squandered a lead pipe cinch election.

That said, I'm not all that invested in politics these days.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:

Loving this.

Evangelicals drinking the cool-aid. No surprises here.

And Christians wonder why the faster and faster growth of the "nones" and the "dones" who want nothing to do with the Church?

Not sure who the nones and the dones are you are referring to but my church is growing.

What cool-aid is that... the one that supports the life of the unborn?

Timothy, if someone made an accusation against you from your teenage years that could not be corroborated and people who didn't like you (for whatever reason) started taking that accusation and making you the next Jekyll and Hyde (and you knew you were being falsely accused)... would you step down and leave the ministry?
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:
William Thornton wrote:Timothy, I don't dispute your figure of false accusations but it has no application to any specific case. There's no 94% probability that Ford's accusation is true. It's looking more and more like this was not all it started out to be.

I agree you can't directly apply the figure. But to me it still looks exactly like what it started out to be.

1. The GOP prevents Barack Obama from appointing a Justice during his term.

Such a terrible thing that the DEMS chose to be as terrible and make it a reason to not proceed with BK. I think it was Obama that said... "Elections have consequences"... When the GOP won in the midterms... his statement was also true.

2. The GOP elects Trump who quite quickly is under investigation by a solid Republic Robert Mueller

Do you really think this is about the evils of Trump? Oh... where is the collusion? The argument for it has gone silent here.

3. Trump nominates Kavanaugh because of his strong views on presidential privilege and immunity from prosecution. The GOP likes him because he is a conservative judge.

Elections have consequences. If your side would have won. do you think a conservative judge would even have made the top 1000 list?

4. It turns out Kavanaugh has a potential past of being a drunken frat boy who in his drunkedness may have assaulted women.

Potential??? May have??? The court of public opinion lost on this one.

5. The GOP can't take a chance of not putting a nominee through later on the off chance the Dems take the Senate.

And you think it should be different, why?

6. The GOP (under pressure) gives the FBI almost no real time to investigate the accusations so that it is likely we will never know for sure if Kavanaugh did or did not do what he was accused of leaving a shadow of mistrust on the SCOTUS for decades to come.

No lenght of time would have been enough until something was found like he broke his mothers back because he stepped on a crack.

7. The GOP rushes the confirmation of Kavanaugh to protect getting a conservative on the court and Trump getting more protection from potential prosecution.

He is a good judge - his record proves that. You just don't like him and his constitutional stance.

Casualties of these tactics? The constitutional powers of the President on future nominations when their own party isn't in power LOL, the truthLOL, women who will be taken even less seriously than they are now when they are assaulted by powerful men including judges, clergy, whoever, trust of our elected leaders, and democratic processNOPE. Finally, the will of the American people that is regularly circumvented by gerrymandering, brinksmanship, and the Electoral College (a mistake of history used to protect states rights over individual rights.)LOL

Further winners - Wealthy old white men who can continue pretty much get away with anything they want.
Jon Estes

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues