The next SCOTUS nominee has already been canned

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

The next SCOTUS nominee has already been canned

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:35 am

If Kavanaugh doesn't get the votes... Trumps next nominee has already been ditched due to a photo the DEMS leaked...

He's a stalker... groper and more... (face covered to protect the guilty)

grope.jpg
Jon Estes

Re: The next SCOTUS nominee has already been canned

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:59 am

Jon Estes wrote:If Kavanaugh doesn't get the votes... Trumps next nominee has already been ditched due to a photo the DEMS leaked...

grope.jpg

Welcome back, I guess. Setting a standard for sarcasm, I see (not becoming of a moderator, in my opinion; unless sarcastic political comments is what this forum is all about). Cast your consideration to the facts surrounding Kavanaugh (if you would, please).

Besides Kavanaugh’s bad stances -
(1) President should not be indicted while in office (i.e. they are above the law while in office) and
(2) Corporations are people (i.e. they can and are contributing unlimitedly to campaigns thus buying favors for themselves and perverting democracy)
- btw I am against Roe vs Wade and perhaps his stance is good on that front;

and besides his possibly/likely past criminal sexual activities and binge drinking underage;

there is his partisanship and angry temperament that he showed during his testimony to Congress last Thursday (both not becoming of a SCOTUS judge) and his lying (not as numerous as his sponsor - >5000 since his inauguration) to Congress under oath (which is another crime).

'Lying to Congress Is a Federal Crime': Sanders Demands FBI Investigate Whether Kavanaugh Committed Perjury

Excerpts:
In his previous testimony before Congress, Judge Kavanaugh was asked more than 100 times if he knew about files stolen by Republican staffers from Judiciary Committee Democrats. He said he knew nothing. Emails released as part of these hearings show that these files were regularly shared with Kavanaugh while he was on the White House staff. One of the emails had the subject line “spying.” Was Judge Kavanaugh being truthful with the committee?

In 2006 Judge Kavanaugh told Congress he did not know anything about the NSA warrantless wiretapping program prior to it being reported by the New York Times. This year an email revealed that while at the White House he might have been involved in some conversations about this program. Was Judge Kavanaugh being truthful with the committee?

In 2004 Judge Kavanaugh testified the nomination of William Pryor to the 11th Circuit “was not one that I worked on personally.” Documents now contradict that statement. Newly released documents also call into question whether Judge Kavanaugh was truthful that the nomination of Charles Pickering “was not one of the judicial nominees that I was primarily handling.” Was Judge Kavanaugh being truthful with the committee?

In 2006 Judge Kavanaugh testified, “I was not involved and am not involved in the questions about the rules governing detention of combatants.” New evidence released as part of these confirmation hearing contradicts that assertion. Was Judge Kavanaugh being truthful with the committee?

Kavanaugh testified before the committee that he did not believe polygraphs were reliable. In 2016 he wrote, “As the Government notes, law enforcement agencies use polygraphs to test the credibility of witnesses and criminal defendants. Those agencies also use polygraphs to ‘screen applicants for security clearances so that they may be deemed suitable for work in critical law enforcement, defense, and intelligence collection roles.’ . . . The Government has satisfactorily explained how polygraph examinations serve law enforcement purposes.” (Sack v. United States Department of Defense, 823 F.3d 687 (2016)) What changed his opinion or was he misleading the committee as to his beliefs about the reliability of polygraph tests?

Additionally, several statements made by Judge Kavanaugh under oath regarding his treatment of women and his use of alcohol appear not to be true. The scope of the FBI’s investigation must include investigating the following statements:

Judge Kavanaugh repeatedly told the committee he never drank to the point where he didn’t remember something. He also denied ever becoming aggressive when he drinks. However there have been many reports from those Judge Kavanaugh attended high school, college and law school with that contradict this assertion. Was he being truthful with the committee?

Judge Kavanaugh testified he treated women “as friends and equals” and “with dignity and respect.” Numerous entries in his school yearbook would seem to contradict this. Was Judge Kavanaugh’s statement to the committee truthful?

Judge Kavanaugh claimed that he and Dr. Ford “did not travel in the same social circles.” Dr. Ford said she dated Chris Garrett, referenced as a friend in his yearbook. In fact she testified Garrett introduced her to Kavanaugh. Was Judge Kavanaugh’s statement to the committee truthful?

Kavanaugh claimed he did not drink on weeknights but an entry on his calendar for Thursday July 1 states, “Go to Timmy’s for Skis w/ Judge, Tom, Pj, Bernie, Squi.” Kavanaugh clarified to Sen. Booker that “Skis” referred to beer. Was his original statement to the committee truthful?

A fundamental question the FBI can help answer is whether Judge Kavanaugh has been truthful with the committee. This goes to the very heart of whether he should be confirmed to the court. If a thorough investigation takes longer than a week, so be it. First and foremost, we need the truth.

Read also: A New Front in the Kavanaugh Wars: Temperament and Honesty

Democratic efforts to highlight sexual assault charges that are more than 30 years old have been dismissed by supporters of Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh as the dredgings of ancient history. But the judge’s response to those accusations has raised new issues that go to the core of who President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee is right now: his truthfulness, his partisanship and his temperament.

Trump and Kavanaugh - two peas from the same pod, sexual deviants (perhaps reformed) and current day liars.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:26 am

It seems, now that the FBI has become involved, that there is a lot more to the accusations regarding Kavanaugh than conservatives insisted there was. Now that Trump has taken the restrictions off the investigation it seems that Kavanaugh is the person Dr. Blasey Ford, and the other accusers, said he was.

All this caterwauling and shrieking and lip flapping by conservatives is falling on deaf ears. If this guy had been nominated by a Democrat president, the rhetoric would be ten times what we got during the Lewinski issue. So if the FBI investigation turns up enough to discourage two or three Republicans, especially those who are in danger of losing their seat in November, from putting a second-rate playboy justice on the nation's highest court, I can't argue with that.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 am

Brett Younger does some good writing. This is pretty lame, however.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:35 pm

William Thornton wrote:Brett Younger does some good writing. This is pretty lame, however.

I don't really care much for going after Kavanaugh for feeling entitled. That can frankly fit most people in government who tend to come out of the upper class where people have money to run for office.

It is the allegations of sexual harassment I care about. He can be an Ivy League snob (or not) and I wouldn't care.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Any comments on Kavanaugh’s honesty, partisanship or temperament to be a SCOTUS judge?
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

If corporations are people, then shouldn't those of them that have been around 18 years get the vote? If I'm right on this, then I think it will give Delaware a leg up in its battle to get more Congressional districts.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:27 pm

KeithE wrote:Any comments on Kavanaugh’s honesty, partisanship or temperament to be a SCOTUS judge?

As to his partisanship and/or temperament... I didn't actually watch his run-in with the Committee, and most of the reporting on it I've seen has been from generally anti-Trump sources, so it may be exaggerated. However, I've seen enough to be pretty sure that if he brings the temperament and partisanship that he displayed in the hearing to the court, he will not be a good SCOTUS judge. Everything I've read about him suggests, however, that this is not the way he has acted in his previous judgeships, so my guess is that this stuff is either (a) calculated political posturing (drawing on the record of Hill v. Thomas) designed to drum up partisan support among the committee members; and I gather he would have succeeded in this if it hadn't been for some women shaming Flake in an elevator; or (b) the entirely understandable and mostly forgivable reaction of a man who is not just being gossiped about nationwide all of a sudden and standing to lose his long-sought new job over it, but also watching his family subjected to death threats and so on in the process; or (c) most likely (I think) a combination of the two.

As far as his honesty goes, I am not impressed at all. I was a decade ahead of him as far as being a drunk at Yale, but I was a drunk at Yale. Drunkenness at Yale was not the universal condition, but it was certainly not uncommon. I had one memorable blackout while I was at Yale that could have involved my commission of sexual assault. When I came to, I was very worried that I might have done something along these lines. I was stark naked, alone in a bed in Vanderbilt (the girls' dorm), with my clothes neatly folded at the foot of the bed, and no memory of how I had got there. It was morning, and the last I recalled I was watching a movie (I think it was Seven Samurai) in another building the evening before. I was assured by the girls who lived in that room, when they returned, by which point I was dressed and distressed, that I had simply passed out in the theatre, and they had helped/carried me to their room to sleep it off, and had been thoughtful enough to have folded my clothes for me. Whooh, what a relief. The fantasy I was having in the movie during the rowboat scene, the last thing I remembered, involved taking indecent liberties with one of the girls who lived in that room. From what I heard from his Old Campus roommate, he was a lot like me (only tending to the belligerent, witness his run-in with the campus cops). And the fact that his friend Mark Judge, who was allegedly an accomplice in his mistreatment of Miss Ford in their high-school years, is a recovering alcoholic who has written thinly veiled "fiction" about "O'Kavanaugh", certainly doesn't jibe as well with his denial(s) as it does with my surmises. So no, I don't think he's being honest. To what extent this involves not being honest with himself and/or not remembering things because he was in a blackout like the ones I've experienced, versus simply being calculatedly dishonest with the public and the Judiciary Committee, I have no real way of guessing.

I have decided I need to write up my recollection of my experiences with alcoholic blackouts. There was another, maybe five years after the movie night one, at my younger brother's fraternity here in Seattle, where I think the chances are that I did commit at least technical sexual assault, though as far as I ever found out no offense was taken. I asked my brother about it yesterday, and he said he just remembers there was one night when I slept over at the frat house. I will write it up and post it where I can provide a link to it, as it will necessarily involve the use of the F word. I was mortified when I found out what I had done (or what my brother's frat brothers told me I did, anyway; not sure how reliable they were in informing me); so mortified that I was basically scared sober for over a year.

Point is, I am not competent to attest to my behavior on those two occasions (nor on several others I recall, and doubtless many that never bothered me enough to remember the forgetting), and my strong suspicion is that Kavanaugh (and Mark Judge) are not competent to swear to what they did on some occasions back then, either.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:31 pm

There is now a 4th accuser.

In the course of my ministry I have had women confidentially tell me about being assaulted. None of them went public because of fear of retribution, stigmatizing, etc.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Haruo wrote:
KeithE wrote:Any comments on Kavanaugh’s honesty, partisanship or temperament to be a SCOTUS judge?

As to his partisanship and/or temperament... I didn't actually watch his run-in with the Committee, and most of the reporting on it I've seen has been from generally anti-Trump sources, so it may be exaggerated. However, I've seen enough to be pretty sure that if he brings the temperament and partisanship that he displayed in the hearing to the court, he will not be a good SCOTUS judge. Everything I've read about him suggests, however, that this is not the way he has acted in his previous judgeships, so my guess is that this stuff is either (a) calculated political posturing (drawing on the record of Hill v. Thomas) designed to drum up partisan support among the committee members; and I gather he would have succeeded in this if it hadn't been for some women shaming Flake in an elevator; or (b) the entirely understandable and mostly forgivable reaction of a man who is not just being gossiped about nationwide all of a sudden and standing to lose his long-sought new job over it, but also watching his family subjected to death threats and so on in the process; or (c) most likely (I think) a combination of the two.

As far as his honesty goes, I am not impressed at all. I was a decade ahead of him as far as being a drunk at Yale, but I was a drunk at Yale. Drunkenness at Yale was not the universal condition, but it was certainly not uncommon. I had one memorable blackout while I was at Yale that could have involved my commission of sexual assault. When I came to, I was very worried that I might have done something along these lines. I was stark naked, alone in a bed in Vanderbilt (the girls' dorm), with my clothes neatly folded at the foot of the bed, and no memory of how I had got there. It was morning, and the last I recalled I was watching a movie (I think it was Seven Samurai) in another building the evening before. I was assured by the girls who lived in that room, when they returned, by which point I was dressed and distressed, that I had simply passed out in the theatre, and they had helped/carried me to their room to sleep it off, and had been thoughtful enough to have folded my clothes for me. Whooh, what a relief. The fantasy I was having in the movie during the rowboat scene, the last thing I remembered, involved taking indecent liberties with one of the girls who lived in that room. From what I heard from his Old Campus roommate, he was a lot like me (only tending to the belligerent, witness his run-in with the campus cops). And the fact that his friend Mark Judge, who was allegedly an accomplice in his mistreatment of Miss Ford in their high-school years, is a recovering alcoholic who has written thinly veiled "fiction" about "O'Kavanaugh", certainly doesn't jibe as well with his denial(s) as it does with my surmises. So no, I don't think he's being honest. To what extent this involves not being honest with himself and/or not remembering things because he was in a blackout like the ones I've experienced, versus simply being calculatedly dishonest with the public and the Judiciary Committee, I have no real way of guessing.

I have decided I need to write up my recollection of my experiences with alcoholic blackouts. There was another, maybe five years after the movie night one, at my younger brother's fraternity here in Seattle, where I think the chances are that I did commit at least technical sexual assault, though as far as I ever found out no offense was taken. I asked my brother about it yesterday, and he said he just remembers there was one night when I slept over at the frat house. I will write it up and post it where I can provide a link to it, as it will necessarily involve the use of the F word. I was mortified when I found out what I had done (or what my brother's frat brothers told me I did, anyway; not sure how reliable they were in informing me); so mortified that I was basically scared sober for over a year.

Point is, I am not competent to attest to my behavior on those two occasions (nor on several others I recall, and doubtless many that never bothered me enough to remember the forgetting), and my strong suspicion is that Kavanaugh (and Mark Judge) are not competent to swear to what they did on some occasions back then, either.

Interesting. I applaud you for the admission of your drinking problem and your repentance.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 am

KeithE wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:If Kavanaugh doesn't get the votes... Trumps next nominee has already been ditched due to a photo the DEMS leaked...

grope.jpg

Welcome back, I guess. Setting a standard for sarcasm, I see (not becoming of a moderator, in my opinion; unless sarcastic political comments is what this forum is all about). Cast your consideration to the facts surrounding Kavanaugh (if you would, please).

You did notice the hand in the picture was not the man's. The point being, so much is being made no proof but manyu accusations

I am looking for facts here but see none. Opinion is not fact. Accusation is not fact. One person's memory of 30 year old event vs. another person's memory of 30 year old event - does not tell us what the facts are.

I get it that the left will support the left and the right support the right but I would hope that both sides would base their decision on facts and not sketchy memories and conflicting tales.

Besides Kavanaugh’s bad stances -
(1) President should not be indicted while in office (i.e. they are above the law while in office) and

Scholors disagree on this. BK holds a position that is held by many. You can disagree with them all you want but your position would be one of two. Until this is settled, it is a fair position to take.

(2) Corporations are people (i.e. they can and are contributing unlimitedly to campaigns thus buying favors for themselves and perverting democracy)
- btw I am against Roe vs Wade and perhaps his stance is good on that front;

This is something both sides do not want to see gone... except for their opponent.

and besides his possibly/likely past criminal sexual activities and binge drinking underage;

So any accusation of bad behavior is now acceptable to remove a candidate. Openthaty pandoras box and it will never be shut... if it hasn't already been opened inthe past few weeks. All will come to hate it. Like Harry Reids stopping the fillibuster. It will continue to come back and haunt him and the DEMS

there is his partisanship and angry temperament that he showed during his testimony to Congress last Thursday (both not becoming of a SCOTUS judge) and his lying (not as numerous as his sponsor - >5000 since his inauguration) to Congress under oath (which is another crime).

He is being attacked... his family is being attacked... he has a right and needs to be confrontive. I am glad he did but it is a no win for him, no matter his disposition... someone will make it a sign of guilt.

'Lying to Congress Is a Federal Crime': Sanders Demands FBI Investigate Whether Kavanaugh Committed Perjury

Excerpts:
In his previous testimony before Congress, Judge Kavanaugh was asked more than 100 times if he knew about files stolen by Republican staffers from Judiciary Committee Democrats. He said he knew nothing. Emails released as part of these hearings show that these files were regularly shared with Kavanaugh while he was on the White House staff. One of the emails had the subject line “spying.” Was Judge Kavanaugh being truthful with the committee?

In 2006 Judge Kavanaugh told Congress he did not know anything about the NSA warrantless wiretapping program prior to it being reported by the New York Times. This year an email revealed that while at the White House he might have been involved in some conversations about this program. Was Judge Kavanaugh being truthful with the committee?

In 2004 Judge Kavanaugh testified the nomination of William Pryor to the 11th Circuit “was not one that I worked on personally.” Documents now contradict that statement. Newly released documents also call into question whether Judge Kavanaugh was truthful that the nomination of Charles Pickering “was not one of the judicial nominees that I was primarily handling.” Was Judge Kavanaugh being truthful with the committee?

I would wait until |I see the documents, not just the statement they are there.

In 2006 Judge Kavanaugh testified, “I was not involved and am not involved in the questions about the rules governing detention of combatants.” New evidence released as part of these confirmation hearing contradicts that assertion. Was Judge Kavanaugh being truthful with the committee?

You link most things to support your position... chirp chirp on al lot of this post of yours.

Kavanaugh testified before the committee that he did not believe polygraphs were reliable. In 2016 he wrote, “As the Government notes, law enforcement agencies use polygraphs to test the credibility of witnesses and criminal defendants. Those agencies also use polygraphs to ‘screen applicants for security clearances so that they may be deemed suitable for work in critical law enforcement, defense, and intelligence collection roles.’ . . . The Government has satisfactorily explained how polygraph examinations serve law enforcement purposes.” (Sack v. United States Department of Defense, 823 F.3d 687 (2016)) What changed his opinion or was he misleading the committee as to his beliefs about the reliability of polygraph tests?

So, BK's belief differing from someone elses belief makes him what? A person who holds a different belief. You are better thanthis... I think.

Additionally, several statements made by Judge Kavanaugh under oath regarding his treatment of women and his use of alcohol appear not to be true. The scope of the FBI’s investigation must include investigating the following statements:

APPEAR?????

Judge Kavanaugh repeatedly told the committee he never drank to the point where he didn’t remember something. He also denied ever becoming aggressive when he drinks. However there have been many reports from those Judge Kavanaugh attended high school, college and law school with that contradict this assertion. Was he being truthful with the committee?

He said... They said... We believe who we want but no facts to support your position.

Judge Kavanaugh testified he treated women “as friends and equals” and “with dignity and respect.” Numerous entries in his school yearbook would seem to contradict this. Was Judge Kavanaugh’s statement to the committee truthful?

Yes. What was funny then may not be funny now. I used to dress up as cowboys and indians whenwe played. Notacceptable today. Snowflakes everywhere.

Judge Kavanaugh claimed that he and Dr. Ford “did not travel in the same social circles.” Dr. Ford said she dated Chris Garrett, referenced as a friend in his yearbook. In fact she testified Garrett introduced her to Kavanaugh. Was Judge Kavanaugh’s statement to the committee truthful?

This does not disprove the claim you make. I talked to a lot of people in HS and college I did not travel ion their social circles. Being friendly is not a crime... unless you are a conservative it seems.

Kavanaugh claimed he did not drink on weeknights but an entry on his calendar for Thursday July 1 states, “Go to Timmy’s for Skis w/ Judge, Tom, Pj, Bernie, Squi.” Kavanaugh clarified to Sen. Booker that “Skis” referred to beer. Was his original statement to the committee truthful?

Wasn't BK referring to weeknights during school? Wasn't the calander showing this a summer calander?

A fundamental question the FBI can help answer is whether Judge Kavanaugh has been truthful with the committee. This goes to the very heart of whether he should be confirmed to the court. If a thorough investigation takes longer than a week, so be it. First and foremost, we need the truth.

SMH

Read also: A New Front in the Kavanaugh Wars: Temperament and Honesty

Democratic efforts to highlight sexual assault charges that are more than 30 years old have been dismissed by supporters of Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh as the dredgings of ancient history. But the judge’s response to those accusations has raised new issues that go to the core of who President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee is right now: his truthfulness, his partisanship and his temperament.

That's just plain untrue. The GOP has been nice to and very accommodating to the accuser. That her story did not pan out is the DEMS problem.

Trump and Kavanaugh - two peas from the same pod, sexual deviants (perhaps reformed) and current day liars.

And you say my sarcasm is beneath the placed of a moderator.
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:32 am

grope.jpg

Keith said: Trump and Kavanaugh - two peas from the same pod, sexual deviants (perhaps reformed) and current day liars.

Jon Estes wrote:And you say my sarcasm is beneath the placed (sic) of a moderator.

No sarcasm in what I said. Just concern that Kavanaugh is Trump-lite - I realize that that may not alarm you, Jon, but you cannot approve of Trump’s past sexual practices and current lying.

Now, Kavanaugh’s youthful sexual deviances (if true) may not hold a candle to Trumps’s (19 allegations and admission on the Hollywood Access tape). And his lies in his 2004, 2006 and 2018 confirmations do not come close to Trump’s >5000 lies as President. But the SCOTUS position is for life (aprox 10-40 years in the case of Kavanaugh).

Another truth is that Trump (and hard core Trumpites) do not pursue sexual assault allegations with any fervor (witness the limited scope FBI look - all facade) when someone they like is the accused. Trump in fact sides more with the accused (like himself) - read Trump says it's 'a very scary time for young men in America'.

Also Trump excuses lies as long as they have the desired political point.

Your picture and words makes light of possible sexual assault, not good. When I showed your opening post to my wife, she was appalled at your insensitivity. Jon, believe what you what about Trump and Kavanaugh, but don’t make light about sexual assault allegations (be they a GOP or Democrat).
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 am

KeithE wrote:

grope.jpg

Keith said: Trump and Kavanaugh - two peas from the same pod, sexual deviants (perhaps reformed) and current day liars.

Jon Estes wrote:And you say my sarcasm is beneath the placed (sic) of a moderator.

No sarcasm in what I said. Just concern that Kavanaugh is Trump-lite - I realize that that may not alarm you, Jon, but you cannot approve of Trump’s past sexual practices and current lying.

Now, Kavanaugh’s youthful sexual deviances (if true) may not hold a candle to Trumps’s (19 allegations and admission on the Hollywood Access tape). And his lies in his 2004, 2006 and 2018 confirmations do not come close to Trump’s >5000 lies as President. But the SCOTUS position is for life (aprox 10-40 years in the case of Kavanaugh).

Another truth is that Trump (and hard core Trumpites) do not pursue sexual assault allegations with any fervor (witness the limited scope FBI look - all facade) when someone they like is the accused. Trump in fact sides more with the accused (like himself) - read Trump says it's 'a very scary time for young men in America'.

Also Trump excuses lies as long as they have the desired political point.

Your picture and words makes light of possible sexual assault, not good. When I showed your opening post to my wife, she was appalled at your insensitivity. Jon, believe what you what about Trump and Kavanaugh, but don’t make light about sexual assault allegations (be they a GOP or Democrat).

Here is the problem with your whole accusation. You write paragraphs of blame and innuendo of BK's guilt just because of the accusation. Yet, you cover your behind by inserting two words...

(if true)

You can say I am insensitive if you wish. It is also insensitive to place guilt on someone without evidence. Something being done here as if an accusation is fact. I am good about taking an accusation seriously but I am adamant about not ruining someone's life without facts.

Are you really good with the way BK has been treated without facts to support the accusations?

There is a lot of... "Do you still beat your wife?" ...types of questions being asked.
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:14 am

As of this morning, the FBI report, without even an interview with Dr. Ford, has been placed in a secure, classified document room where only members of the judiciary committee can read it one at a time, Sen. McConnell has said that the cloture motion will be voted today with a final vote coming soon. To use the words of Johnny Cash:
I hear that train a comin'
Comin' down the track...

That's all, folks! We get another judge to sit beside Clarence Thomas in the tainted seats.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:33 am

Dave Roberts wrote:As of this morning, the FBI report, without even an interview with Dr. Ford, has been placed in a secure, classified document room where only members of the judiciary committee can read it one at a time, Sen. McConnell has said that the cloture motion will be voted today with a final vote coming soon. To use the words of Johnny Cash:
Comin' down the track...

That's all, folks! We get another judge to sit beside Clarence Thomas in the tainted seats.

Among the baby killers... Huh?lor][/color]
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 am

You my friend are the one who has decided on the “Did Kavanaugh Sexually Assault Blasey Ford” without a full investigation. 40 + referrals from three accusers have not been contacted by the FBI. 12 or more people have said they have relevant information that they have offered to the FBI. Reportedly only 9 people were interviewed. But Trump or GOP leaders (Grassley and McConnell) have limited that investigation.

I have kept an "if true" caveat on that matter.

Now I have seen myself (as I emphasized in my long post) that (1) he does not have a temperament not suitable for the SCOTUS, (2) he is too partisan to be a judge especially on the SCOTUS and (3) he has lied in three different nominations. Jon, you have not address that.

As for lying about excess drinking, read from his college roommate: Yale roommate says Kavanaugh lied under oath about drinking and yearbook

I appreciate the work you are doing bringing Christianity to the Mideast. I trust that you are more circumspect and show more sensitivity to women who report sexual assault in your ministry.

Before the Ford accusation (which she brought forth hesitantly but she felt it was her duty), the DEMS had not mentioned any of his drinking/sexual activities (though they were reportedly in his previous background checks). They did bring up and justifiably complain about the 100,000 documents from his service that were kept for the committee and the many “committee confidence” documents that have been kept form the public. DEMS have the high ground here. REPS are trying to ram this through without transparency.

And when last Thursday Kavanaugh's true colors (temperament, partisanship, and truthfulness) revealed itself, it should be apparent to all (even you Jon) that some other nominee would be more appropriate. We don’t need such a bad temperament, partisanship and dishonesty/purgery-under-oath on the SCOTUS. We can and should demand better.

Jon asked:
Are you really good with the way BK has been treated without facts to support the accusations?

As for Kavanaugh, maybe the whole process will lead to confession (lying, and if true sexual assault), family reckoning, and reconsidering his partisan attitudes that will strengthen Brett Kavanaugh. I am for forgiveness (for whatever he is guilty of) but it is not legit without confession. Letting this pass harms Kavanaugh ultimately.
Last edited by KeithE on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:19 am

Jon Estes wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:As of this morning, the FBI report, without even an interview with Dr. Ford, has been placed in a secure, classified document room where only members of the judiciary committee can read it one at a time, Sen. McConnell has said that the cloture motion will be voted today with a final vote coming soon. To use the words of Johnny Cash:
Comin' down the track...

Among the baby killers... Huh?lor][/color]

Yeah, that old chestnut, the excuse for electing despicable, immoral politicians, and for giving them a pass. There's not a single justice on the Supreme Court who has ever killed a baby. And the argument that being for abortion rights is the equivalent of that is moot. When Christians decide that they're going to resolve this issue by genuine ministry to those who consider abortion, rather than using it as a political football to gain influence and power, we can have this discussion.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:50 am

Comin' down the track...

Seats at both ends of Pennsylvania have become even more tainted, through this process.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:45 am

One thing is for sure... Trump is teaching the GOP how to play like the DEMs.

It's great. And they need to keep taking notes.

The silence from the left on Groping Booker... Clubber Ellison... Spygate Feinstein... MisRepresentative Blumenthal

My prediction - BK will be voted in tomorrow and the USA will be better for it.
Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:24 am

Jon Estes wrote:One thing is for sure... Trump is teaching the GOP how to play like the DEMs.

It's great. And they need to keep taking notes.

The silence from the left on Groping Booker... Clubber Ellison... Spygate Feinstein... MisRepresentative Blumenthal

My prediction - BK will be voted in tomorrow and the USA will be better for it.

Actually, this whole charade with Kavanaugh was right out of the Republican playbook. Well, if he is voted in it will be just another event to energize Democrats and independents to make their ballot box appearance in November. This will be a nice, gift-wrapped present from the GOP to the Democrats.

I guess the new line from conservative Evangelicals is "boys will be boys" and a complimentarian view of women in the church includes sexually assaulting them. Your tacit approval of this is obvious.

Seems like a setback after this, at least for Southern Baptists--https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2018/may-web-only/al-mohler-humiliation-of-southern-baptist-convention-metoo.html
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 am

The good thing about Sandy's election forecast is that, unlike unsupported and unfounded accusations against BK, on Wednesday, November 7th we will have a verdict. Will the party in power get "shellacked" or hold on? Which side is mad enough to actually vote?

We will see....
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:38 am

Unsupported and unfounded? No, sorry. There was plenty of corroboration, but the committee shut down any witnesses, hearing only from the victim, and the FBI investigation was prevented from speaking to anyone named as a witness. It was a sham.

It is unfortunate that a partisan political approach has to make voters "mad enough" to bother to show up to vote. Who's "madder"?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/ ... ion-854860
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/01/nearly- ... -poll.html
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/politics ... index.html

Looks like this is making Democrats and independents madder.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 am

Sandy wrote:Unsupported and unfounded? No, sorry. There was plenty of corroboration, but the committee shut down any witnesses, hearing only from the victim, and the FBI investigation was prevented from speaking to anyone named as a witness. It was a sham.

It is unfortunate that a partisan political approach has to make voters "mad enough" to bother to show up to vote. Who's "madder"?

I posted this in another thread. Studies have shown only about 8% of accusations such as this are false.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45565684
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Sandy wrote:Unsupported and unfounded? No, sorry. There was plenty of corroboration, but the committee shut down any witnesses, hearing only from the victim, and the FBI investigation was prevented from speaking to anyone named as a witness. It was a sham.

LOL... BK will be on the SCOTUS and DEMS will remain in the minority. GOP is fired up and will swarm the voting stations. Polls are clear.

Loving this.
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Well, the vote to end discussion essentially says we need not got the the bottom of credible claims of sexual assault - politics is more important. Very sad day with the President leading the way - wonder why?

McConnell has guessed that DEMS will “move the goal post”. To expand on that football analogy I’d say:

1) Wrt to completing the FBI supplemental. I’d say we are at (at best) opposite field’s 18 yard line (9 witnesses interviewed vs 40 other potential corroborators suggested by 2 accusers - let alone a third one and two more silent accusers who did not want their names public).

2) Wrt to reviewing Kavanaugh's past judicial record: 100,000 documents of Kavanaugh’s record on Bush’s torture team of lawyers or the Starr Investigation that have not be revised even by the Judiciary Committee, and hundreds “committee confidential” memos not released to the DEMS on the committee or the FBI supplemental investigation team. Don’t know how many documents have been reviewed, but I betcha they are not yet at the 70 yard line (aka as 30 yard line).

3) Remember McConnell and the GOPs did not let Garland start at the 0 yard line.

We will see what happens next. I would be surprised if Kavanaugh losses. But what follows is unpredictable.
Last edited by KeithE on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues