The Outrage Continues

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

The Outrage Continues

Postby KeithE » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:22 pm

Yesterday's Outrage is:Trump Suppressing 100,000 Pages of Kavanaugh's Record

With the Senate Judiciary Committee set to hold its first confirmation hearing for President Donald Trump's right-wing Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh on Tuesday, the Trump White House reportedly directed on Friday that over 100,000 pages of documents from Kavanaugh's tenure as an associate White House counsel under former President George W. Bush be withheld from senators.

"In total," Buzzfeed continued, "27,110 of Brett Kavanaugh's documents from his time in the White House counsel's office under Bush—101,921 pages—are not being turned over to senators considering his Supreme Court nomination at the direction of the Trump administration.” Activists and legal experts reacted to Friday's news with outrage, arguing the move is further evidence that the White House is working to suppress elements of Kavanaugh's record

Whatever your belief about the Kavanaugh nomination, the Senators ought to have access to his whole record.

Has this (suppressing SCOTUS nominees documents of their positions) ever happened before? Read NPR Interview of veteran Senate Judiciary Committee staff. Nope, not to this degree. Leave it to the Trump administration.

Some snippets but read it all:
I can say unequivocally what we're seeing with this process is the most partisan and the most reckless one I've seen because what we had here was the chairman on Friday night sending a partisan letter - there was no working with the ranking member to do this request, but he made a request that just ignored three years of the nominee's political appointee record.

So yes. There are ways to get them. The question is whether the chairman is going to go it alone and schedule a hearing before there would be time to review documents. I believe these documents, in the end, will come out. However, I just don't understand why the chairman of a committee would not want to seek any relevant documents from a three-year period. That principle on its face shows that they're concerned about what controversies would be in that record. And I think that should trouble everyone on both sides of the aisle.

Check on Your Senator
Scroll down some.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: The Outrage Continues

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:52 am

So much for all the bellyaching and whining Trump did about the "30,000 missing emails," which, by the way, were not missing.

I wonder whether most Americans really care about corruption in the government anymore. I think we are seeing a rapid turn toward being OK with whatever politicans do as long as they are on the same page with "the issues." I had a conversation with an individual yesterday about Trump being corrupt, about our having known exactly what we were getting because he has always been corrupt, something the person acknowledged. "But he's against abortion, and we're getting good justices" was the response. His response to my statement that billionaires, including Trump, were getting fabulous and unimaginable tax breaks, he smiled and said that's just a political impression. He was just a little bit disturbed when I showed him that it was actually happening, and showed him the news about the federal employee salary freeze, which he didn't know about. He's a federal employee and it affects him directly. He was disturbed about that and said something about Trump being a rich Republican true to form, but finished the conversation with, "Well, that's just the way we do politics." Who knows how many people have that attitude? It takes being hit in the bank account to stir people to action.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:22 am

Sandy wrote:So much for all the bellyaching and whining Trump did about the "30,000 missing emails," which, by the way, were not missing.

I wonder whether most Americans really care about corruption in the government anymore. I think we are seeing a rapid turn toward being OK with whatever politicans do as long as they are on the same page with "the issues." I had a conversation with an individual yesterday about Trump being corrupt, about our having known exactly what we were getting because he has always been corrupt, something the person acknowledged. "But he's against abortion, and we're getting good justices" was the response. His response to my statement that billionaires, including Trump, were getting fabulous and unimaginable tax breaks, he smiled and said that's just a political impression. He was just a little bit disturbed when I showed him that it was actually happening, and showed him the news about the federal employee salary freeze, which he didn't know about. He's a federal employee and it affects him directly. He was disturbed about that and said something about Trump being a rich Republican true to form, but finished the conversation with, "Well, that's just the way we do politics." Who knows how many people have that attitude? It takes being hit in the bank account to stir people to action.

To my sister, her support of Trump is all about abortion. Everything else is not about “life and death”. I try to correct her - war, health care, gun control, natural disasters vis climate change, poverty all cause needless deaths - and she just says those deaths are “indirect”.

But she is a neat twice widowed, substitute teacher who raps. MC AC the Rap Lady
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:36 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:56 am

Doesn't matter. Just the latest chicken little strategy to stir the masses. If Kavanaugh walked on water and raised the dead Dems would find a way to oppose the nomination.

Absent a dead woman or live boy, it's a done deal. Prepare for disappointment brethren but take hope, not all SCOTUS appointments work out as intended. He may be a closet lib.

Win the 2020 election and go from there.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 am

One hopes that if Kavanaugh walked on water and raised the dead, some of the "Evangelical base" would look a bit more askance at him, too. At least the ones who can figure out how to get 616 or 666 out of "Kavanaugh".
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm

I don't think this one is "a done deal." Seems the info that Keith put up here is getting out, and it is not making Republicans happy, especially the half dozen or so senators that are either underwater in their polls for 2018, or in razor thin territory. Of course, we can always say it comes down to partisan lines, which means that the new senator taking McCain's place from Arizona must be in place for the GOP to win this on a party line vote, and they'll have to do something with the two female GOP Senators who are determined to keep the court pro-life. Anything in those 100,000 pages could simply slow this down until the new congress takes office next January.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:29 pm

I think McConnell should have to read his own speech about the importance of waiting to review a nominee until "after the people have spoken."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:29 am

William Thornton wrote:Prepare for disappointment brethren but take hope, not all SCOTUS appointments work out as intended. He may be a closet lib.

To parody one of the Longfellows,
Lookie, my children, and you shall see
How Ike got snookered in fifty-three...
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:34 am

Eight convictions or confessions on three dozen specific charges related to the Mueller investigation. A clean sweep so far. It makes the charge that this is just a "witch hunt" even more facetious than it was at the beginning. Witch hunts don't result in solid convictions based on evidence, or confessions.

I hate to quote the orange hair, since he is such a pathetically habitual liar, and a dishonest crook, but I believe he is the one who said that being under investigation, and one that is racking up convictions and confessions, is a sure sign that you are guilty and not qualified to run for President. He said that as a candidate, when the news came out about the second round of emails on the "new" computer that the FBI hadn't looked at, or as it turns out, already had seen all the emails.

That "evli, secular, mainstream news media" has picked up on the hypocrisy of the religious right. Most of what I'm seeing isn't mean spirited, hostile attacks, it is an honest inquiry into how you can claim to be on top of the will of God more so than those "liberal" mainliners, or the Catholics, and yet not utter a single word of criticism of the blatant activity that is totally opposite of the preaching. I did see one person, over the weekend, who was asked how he could continue to support the orange hair in the face of all the evidence, and the guy said he couldn't, and wouldn't go any further with his support. Frankly, it should not have taken this long.
Sandy

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 am

It's been interesting to see the new attempted lynching in operation, this time with the victim being that worst of all evils – a white guy. The lady has not said where or when she was assaulted except that it was in the 1980s, but a margin of five or ten years for an exact date should be acceptable. The poor guy she said was a third party (valuable witness) said he has no memory of the affair but his reputation is also forever ruined and – since he was an evil white guy – he can't be believed anyway. It would be interesting to know how much she's being paid for her revelation and by whom, as well as who's footing all those luscious lawyer-fees, especially with perjury a possibility. Ask Bubba Bill about that. The main Hill-witness (one of four) in 1991 couldn't keep her story straight and had to be admonished constantly about that, lest perjury overtake her. Anita Hill was fairly well prepped in her effort to derail Clarence Thomas and one wonders, of course, how well she was compensated. The Me-Too movement is wearing very thin now as the ladies continue to demean themselves by admitting to be so dumb as to be caught alive in such compromising situations. Selling one's assets can be so helpful.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Jim wrote:The Me-Too movement is wearing very thin now as the ladies continue to demean themselves by admitting to be so dumb as to be caught alive in such compromising situations.

I would say that it is doing anything but "wearing thin." It has just started gaining momentum. I do not believe we have yet seen the full effect of what I see as a cultural paradigm shift. The reality is the bad behavior of several generations of men, not all men, but a lot of them, and bad attitudes toward women. The recent effects of "me too" have caused the firing of Paige Patterson at Southwestern Seminary, something that would have been unthinkable a decade ago.

This is a story about incidents that took place 37 years ago, involving a man who was youth pastor at Travis Avenue Baptist Church in Ft. Worth at the time, and who went on to be youth pastor at a Memphis church, then became its pastor. https://www.star-telegram.com/living/re ... 84474.html

So here's a guy who had a long career as a youth pastor, and a pastor, most of it in a church that obviously expressed confidence in him repeatedly, who resigns because of a couple of incidents which happened almost four decades ago, when he was single, much younger and a lot less mature. Does he get any consideration for repentance, or for the fact that he apparently did nothing else of the sort for the rest of his career? At what point is the victim accountable for a measure of forgiveness? Is ruining his career, hurting his wife and family, and causing a major disruption in the ministry of a local church the justifiable, proverbial "pound of flesh" in a case like this?

Here's another one with similar circumstances . https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 092532.php

I'm not a Brett Kavanaugh fan. I think there are a whole set of judges in the federal judiciary who are far more qualified, capable and competent than he is. On the merits of his presentation, in an atmosphere that wasn't so divisively partisan, he wouldn't get enough support to get out of committee. I don't doubt the veracity of the accuser's recollection. She has dates and specifics that are characteristic of such situations, and from what I understand, women who have these kinds of experiences have extremely accurate recollections of them. But I honestly have to question whether the guy should have his boat sunk over something he did when he was in high school.
Sandy

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 pm

You could write a book discussing naivete.
Jim

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues