[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Why do you Support Trump?

Why do you Support Trump?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Why do you Support Trump?

Postby KeithE » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:43 am

For those of you who support Trump, what positive do you see in him or his program.

I have asked a couple this question and will ask it more.

1. One widow, bridge player, ex- teacher in rural Alabama said “we should support the President whoever it is”.
2. A recently retired Corp of Engineer executive, a good friend (church, golf, many lunches, Emmaus cohort) says "he is getting rid of regulations that are choking us”.

Please add your thoughts and ask others if you would.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Why do you Support Trump?

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am

Last week, I heard this from a Virginian with links to mining. "He is bringing king coal back to the throne."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 pm

In a sense, the bridge club widow is right, though support is not absolute. The problem with the trumphaters is that they want to overturn a legitimately elected president. I have no problem with disagreements on policy.

I generally agree with the engineer, at least the perception is present on that subject, and the general economic improvement, consumer attitudes, etc.

Depends on whose running in 2020.

The problem you have, Keith, is that you come across as asking legit questions but underneath it is utter contempt for anyone who would do anything but lynch Trump. 'How could all these rednecks and rubes elect this guy', is the approach.

It's all on display here...daily. I wouldn't have voted for Obama in a millenium but didn't spend all my waking hours trashing him.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:37 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:10 pm

From Gerry Milligan...

William, you said, "It's all on display here...daily. I wouldn't have voted for Obama in a millenium (sic) but didn't spend all my waking hours trashing him." While I appreciate what you said about not trashing President Obama, why would you not ever vote for him? Is it because of LBJ getting the voting rights passed (as many, even LBJ, acknowledging the losing of the South?) Or does the answer reside in Michael Emerson's publication, "Divided by Faith, Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race? To quote you "Inquiring minds want to know."
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:53 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:04 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 pm

William, I didn't read Keith's question as being biased. I took it as a genuine desire to understand.

Now if he had asked, "Why do you still support Trump?" I would see that as betraying a bias.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:45 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:21 pm

From Gerry Milligan...

William, honestly I was not accusing you of racism, but both examples that I cited have to do with racism in the south. I am actually interested as to why you would never vote for him. That was the question, you read more into it than was intended. But, I notice you still have not justified your comment.
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:50 am

But you implied that racism was the reason and it was specifically directed at me. You are smart enough to understand that.

I wouldn't vote for hil in 10,000 years. Am I sexist as well?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:17 am

Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:38 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:54 pm

Asked my bridge partner (Jim) and he supports Trump primarily due to “Trump’s better climate for business”* which he regards as very important for people as well as the companies. Like the Corps of Engineers guy he likes the "relaxation of regulations". In addition he likes the cuts in business tax rates, and Trump’s stronger American stance on international trade (and is quite knowledgeable about that - told me several stories about China’s protectionist stances).

But he does not like how Trump has “conducted himself” - his "tactics at his rallies", his lack of hard work (always golfing, listening to news, tweeting), and treatment of immigrants (we need to let them in because "they help business" is his attitude).

Like me he could not vote for Hillary because of her laxness in handling classified material - “we’d be in jail if we did tenth of what she did”.

He is open on whether he would vote again for Trump (depends on who else is running and the Mueller investigation which will “very likely will end with Russian collusion of some sort"). He does not care about Trump’s previous business or sex life - “does not matter on his function as President".

Jim is a good guy - retired 71 year old, elder at his Presbyterian (PC-USA) church, was always a very good supervisor, and one of the best trajectory analysts literally in the world (the code he managed and used -STAMP- is the most used internationally). He is conservative in most of what he does (personal spending, politics, investing, bridge bidding, but not religiously). He lives in the most prestigious area in Huntsville - the Ledges. He worked for me for several years.

* quotes are his words as best I can remember.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Joseph Patrick

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues