The Depth of Problem Trump

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

The Depth of Problem Trump

Postby KeithE » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Republicans have a list of over 100 requests for investigations of Trump and Trump associates scandals (or allegations thereof that have not been investigated).

House Republicans Have a Secret List of Trump Scandals They’re Covering Up

Republicans secretly study their coming hell

Here is a list of just 17 of the more important ones.

President Trump’s tax returns
    Trump family businesses — and whether they comply with the Constitution's emoluments clause, including the Chinese trademark grant to the Trump Organization
    Trump's dealings with Russia, including the president's preparation for his meeting with Vladimir Putin
    The payment to Stephanie Clifford — a.k.a. Stormy Daniels
    James Comey's firing
    Trump's firing of U.S. attorneys
    Trump's proposed transgender ban for the military
    Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin's business dealings
    White House staff's personal email use
    Cabinet secretary travel, office expenses, and other misused perks
    Discussion of classified information at Mar-a-Lago
    Jared Kushner's ethics law compliance
    Dismissal of members of the EPA board of scientific counselors
    The travel ban
    Family separation policy
    Hurricane response in Puerto Rico
    Election security and hacking attempts
    White House security clearances
Jim can bring up scandalous behavior of the Clintons (but it does not say anything about these allegations)

William can continue in his slumber (zzz’s)

Ed can ask some deflecting questions.

But most of us should be diligently concerned. This is time like no other in American history in terms of the number of scandals. These allegations must be investigated seriously and Republicans are blocking most of them.

And this does not even touch all of the awful (imo) policies changes Trump has directed via not legislative actions but by his 81 executive actions. I realize that is more argumentative since many people believe that the "administrative state must be destroyed" (and that is why all the scandals are excusable in their minds).
Last edited by KeithE on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: The Depth of Problem Trump

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:36 pm

It's like he drained the swamp only to install a sewer.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:32 pm

To see how desperate the democrats are now, just read this screed by Robert Reich, Labor Secretary in a previous administration: https://www.eurasiareview.com/25082018-robert-reich-dont-impeach-trump-annul-his-presidency-oped/. To guard against laughing yourself to death (or at least dodge a hernia), take a bottle's worth of aspirin, channel Eleanor, and face toward the East with a supplication to Allah.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Jim wrote:To see how desperate the democrats are now, just read this screed by Robert Reich, Labor Secretary in a previous administration: https://www.eurasiareview.com/25082018-robert-reich-dont-impeach-trump-annul-his-presidency-oped/. To guard against laughing yourself to death (or at least dodge a hernia), take a bottle's worth of aspirin, channel Eleanor, and face toward the East with a supplication to Allah.

I don't see any desperation in that view. In Reich's perspective, the Republicans in Congress, or at least a majority of them, are much more concerned about their own re-election, and their own partisan agenda than they are about the country, it's people, the constitution, or any kind of "rule of law." That's reasonable, considering the way they have reacted to Trump's crimes so far. So there is a chance that even if the President committed treason, and the evidence was overwhelming, there might not be enough Republicans left with integrity and conviction to get the two thirds vote for a conviction in the senate. Reich's assessment that they wouldn't survive the political aftermath of that scenario is correct. I'm not sure his pessimism about getting there after Mueller turns up evidence is correct, though. I think there are enough Republicans who see that failure to convict in the face of evidence would lead to a much worse outcome for them than dumping Trump.

I am laughing pretty hard, but at Jim's perspective and analysis. Ah, I guess that's life in fantasyland...
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:40 am

Closer to "Yesterdayland."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:17 am

Jim wrote:To see how desperate the democrats are now, just read this screed by Robert Reich, Labor Secretary in a previous administration: https://www.eurasiareview.com/25082018-robert-reich-dont-impeach-trump-annul-his-presidency-oped/. To guard against laughing yourself to death (or at least dodge a hernia), take a bottle's worth of aspirin, channel Eleanor, and face toward the East with a supplication to Allah.

I find Reich's article as very reflective - not a screed at all. His intro:
The only way I see the end of Trump is if there’s overwhelming evidence he rigged the 2016 election. In which case impeachment isn’t an adequate remedy. His presidency should be annulled.

Let me explain.

Please read the rest. It is a near term look ahead of what should happen wrt to Trump and the policies and personnel that has resulted. Not “screedish” with list of Trump’s wrongdoing (my initial post in this topic is a screed). Nor is it laughable to most people (Jim aside). But I realize Reich's remedies will not happen.

Reich also makes a good point that there is no Constitutional means to undo a fraudulent election - and 2016 was very likely a fraudulent election with over 3500 Russian generated false ads spread throughout the social media (mostly anti-Hillary). Not liking Hillary, I fell for some of them (but I stand by my vote for Jill Stein - I rejected Hillary's militarism, coziness to Wall Street and her laxness in handling classified material - I'd be in jail right now if I had handled that material so causally).

We should be doing least three things:
1. Identifying and removing social media false stories. (private sector starting to do that now).
2. Protecting the integrity of the 2018 and 2020 elections. (maybe Jimmy Carter has enough life left to oversee such a effort as he has done around the world)
3. Add a Constitutional amendment to annul elections that have been shown to be compromised. (removing any candidate shown to be transgressors)
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues