Black female governor for GA?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Black female governor for GA?

Postby Haruo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Well, he hasn't completely squashed the Obama recovery. And he hasn't actually started a war. I mean, that's important stuff.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 am

Abrams lost but will, I expect, follow a strategy of maximum contentiousness by demanding a recount then suing. She's 63k votes under Kemp and he is 13k above the threshold for a runoff. No one expects provisional and absentee ballots to provide the numbers to change anything.

She almost won against a spectacularly mediocre republican nominee.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Abrams placed such a high value on making sure that everyone's vote was counted that she can't just concede with uncounted votes out there without sending the wrong message to the people she urged to vote. I suspect she will do the right thing when she knows all have been heard.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:00 pm

William Thornton wrote:Abrams lost but will, I expect, follow a strategy of maximum contentiousness by demanding a recount then suing. She's 63k votes under Kemp and he is 13k above the threshold for a runoff. No one expects provisional and absentee ballots to provide the numbers to change anything.

She almost won against a spectacularly mediocre republican nominee.

Kemp set this up for himself by systematically disqualifying voters arbitrarily, knowing that many would not check prior to the deadlines. At the moment, she's 63k behind, with about 220,000 ballots, most of them provisional ballots from Metro Atlanta where she won. I would expect a lawsuit, rightly so. Let the courts decide if he broke the law. Mediocre candidate? Yes, but this is Georgia, which in spite of migration from the north that is dragging the state out of its antebellum attitudes, is still a backward Southern state politically in many ways and is still a place where a mediocre white guy is going to beat a sharp, smart African American woman because she is black and a woman and for no other reason but that. One day there might be enough Yankees in Georgia to make a change but not quite yet. They're just about 64,000 votes shy of it from my perspective, but I'd take bets on them getting there in 2020, especially after two more years of Trump stupidity, if he lasts that long.
Sandy
Sandy

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues