GOP does not want transparency or election protection

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

GOP does not want transparency or election protection

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:41 am

Wrt learning what was said in the private Trump-Putin “meeting”, the GOP does not want transparency : Senate GOP pans Democratic calls for interpreter testimony on Trump-Putin meeting
Republicans roundly dismissed the idea, first mentioned by Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., to have Marina Gross, a longtime translator for the State Department, testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, pointing to the precedent it would set moving forward for presidents and the executive branch.


The precedent has always been to make the talks be made public after removing any classified material. We are now reliant on Russia’s version of what was talked about.

Wrt hardening our election apparatus for the 2018 election (something Trump appointee Dan Coates says is blinking red), yesterday the GOP just defunded even renewal of existing funding for election security. Read House GOP refuses to renew election security funding as Democrats fume over Russian meddling. And today, the House GOP refuses to boost funding for election security.

The logical conclusions I can reach is that the GOP wants to retain Trump (to continue their conservative agenda) and they want to use the Russian meddling to assist their re-election.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8857
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: GOP does not want transparency or election protection

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Lookin' that way. Khrushchev may have been a prophet after all.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: GOP does not want transparency or election protection

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 pm

I believe that it was George Washington who warned about the dangers of agenda-driven, partisan politics.
Sandy
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: GOP does not want transparency or election protection

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Yes, and George also explicitly opposed the notion Trump has espoused of approving "President for Life" approaches.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: GOP does not want transparency or election protection

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:05 pm

KeithE wrote:The logical conclusions I can reach is that the GOP wants to retain Trump (to continue their conservative agenda) and they want to use the Russian meddling to assist their re-election.


The news must be pretty bad if they see Russian meddling as a necessity for a GOP win. Shades of Watergate.
Sandy
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: GOP does not want transparency or election protection

Postby KeithE » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:41 am

Sandy wrote:
KeithE wrote:The logical conclusions I can reach is that the GOP wants to retain Trump (to continue their conservative agenda) and they want to use the Russian meddling to assist their re-election.


The news must be pretty bad if they see Russian meddling as a necessity for a GOP win. Shades of Watergate.

Yeah and what do you make about another Putin/Trump show this fall?

My take is that Trump sees it as an opportunity to influence the Nov election (thus will be carefully stage-managed, unlike the Helsinki meeting). I think it might backfire.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8857
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: GOP does not want transparency or election protection

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

KeithE wrote:
Sandy wrote:
KeithE wrote:The logical conclusions I can reach is that the GOP wants to retain Trump (to continue their conservative agenda) and they want to use the Russian meddling to assist their re-election.


The news must be pretty bad if they see Russian meddling as a necessity for a GOP win. Shades of Watergate.

Yeah and what do you make about another Putin/Trump show this fall?

My take is that Trump sees it as an opportunity to influence the Nov election (thus will be carefully stage-managed, unlike the Helsinki meeting). I think it might backfire.


I'd kind of like to see the Mueller investigation get finished and report before November. What I'm seeing and reading from the "expert" sources, including some that are known to be either neutral, or right-leaning, the Democrats have pretty much already sealed the deal for November, and I think the border disaster and Helsinki "fiasco" (I heard a Fox news reporter call it that!) pushed it even further into their lap, but if the full impact of what Mueller has turned up, given the list of indictments and court orders that they've already issued, is made public sometime around the beginning of October, there will be intense pressure on the Republicans. You can bet the November election will be the most closely watched in American history.

After it was confirmed that Russia did indeed interfere in the 2016 election, on Trump's behalf, I figured we would start seeing signs that there was a deal made. Aside from just the appearance of being Putin's puppet, suck-up and lackey, Trump has openly advocated for removal of the Obama era sanctions against the Russians (I guess that is a sign that Trump has been tougher on Russia than any other president has been LOL) and has publicly stated that since Putin said he didn't interfere, he must be telling the truth. The secrecy of the Helsinki summit should be a major red flag that promises were made that Trump clearly doesn't want the American people to know about, otherwise, he'd be bragging about his deal-making prowess and what he had accomplished. My guess is that Putin is after money, and has offered Trump some kind of business benefit. This puts the US in grave danger, because I believe Trump would hand over the atomic football if he thought he would get some financial benefit from Putin for doing it, he is that corrupt, and that unethical.
Sandy
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago


Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron