Cheesecake Factory suspends workers in MAGA hat incident

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Postby Rvaughn » Tue May 15, 2018 7:09 pm

After the woman encouraged her co-workers to confront Joseph, about a dozen Cheesecake employees surrounded his table, multiple witnesses told the conservative news site.
Rvaughn

Re: Cheesecake Factory suspends workers in MAGA hat incident

Postby Haruo » Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 am

Any information on the racial composition of the mob?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 am

Rvaughn wrote:Cheesecake Factory suspends workers in MAGA hat incident

After the woman encouraged her co-workers to confront Joseph, about a dozen Cheesecake employees surrounded his table, multiple witnesses told the conservative news site.

Good. This hate needs to stop.
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 am

Jon Estes wrote:
Rvaughn wrote:Cheesecake Factory suspends workers in MAGA hat incident

Good. This hate needs to stop.

Aww, a poor victimized person (verbal abuse for a few minutes) for wearing a provocative hat. That "hate" was met by suspensions.

Contrast that to the IDF mistreatment of the Palestinian (60+ deaths, 2000+ injuries) for Trump’s provocative act of moving the embassy. And this follows decades of Palestinian mistreatment, read Breaking the Silence. This much greater and much stronger "hate" has not been met (for 70 years).

Talk about the log in Israelis' / American conservatives' eye.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 am

Jon Estes wrote:Good. This hate needs to stop.

I agree. It does. Since this is much more the kind of thing you see from the extremist right, does that mean that their hatred must also stop?

I have doubts about the veracity of the story. The Daily Wire is not an accurate source, and most of the other news sources that are following this point out that the "multiple witnesses" turn out to be the guy's girlfriend and her family. You'd think there'd be a few other Trump supporters in a restaurant who could back up his story besides family. Well, maybe not.

You'd think restaurant workers making minimum wage would show more gratitude toward a Trump supporter given the great tax break they got. ;-)
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 am

I have my questions about this because in my trips to Cheesecake Factory sites, I have almost always seen someone from management on the floor walking among the tables. Any gathering like this would have brought a manager immediately to see what the situation was. This may be the aberration, but they typically have a fast-moving business monitored by supervisory personnel.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed May 16, 2018 3:30 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article211172594.html
The incident was first reported on the conservative-leaning website the DailyWire. In a response to the story, the Cheesecake Factory sent the website a tweet on its verified Twitter account saying the employees involved had been suspended until an investigation of the incident is complete.

"No guest should ever feel unwelcome in one of our restaurants and we are taking this matter very seriously. Upon learning of this incident, we immediately apologized to the guests in person," the tweet reads.

Calls to the Cheesecake Factory's headquarters in Calabasas, Calif., were not returned. As of Tuesday afternoon, Joseph said he had not received correspondence from the Cheesecake Factory offering any type of apology. A woman named Maria who said she was a manager at the Dadeland Mall location told the Miami Herald the company was "taking this matter very seriously" and referred the caller to the company's corporate headquarters. She would not confirm if anyone had been suspended.
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm

The fact that this initially came out on the Daily Wire automatically calls the veracity of the whole story into question. So far, none of the other news sources have confirmed much, other than that there is an investigation. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior by restaurant employees. But I can't imagine that just wearing a hat would cause a problem. Maybe the hat wearer was being a little bit antagonistic toward an employee?

If the idea of reporting this is to try to point out the intolerance of people who don't like Trump, it fell flat on its face in the attempt, given the behavior of Trump supporters exhibiting far more than intolerant behavior toward those that don't agree with them.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm

...umm...the company suspended employees? Must be a reason for that. The customer was a bruthuh.

Better story: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cheesecake ... overblown/
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm

It looks to me like it was a legitimate complaint and like probably the management was on top of it as soon as it happened. My guess is it first came to light in a RW news outlet for the simple reason that the complainant/victim is a right winger and naturally took his story to a reteller he trusted. There are a few loose ends, but most of what I've seen fits this narrative reconstruction.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed May 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Haruo wrote:It looks to me like it was a legitimate complaint and like probably the management was on top of it as soon as it happened. My guess is it first came to light in a RW news outlet for the simple reason that the complainant/victim is a right winger and naturally took his story to a reteller he trusted. There are a few loose ends, but most of what I've seen fits this narrative reconstruction.

A legitimate complaint for sure.

But words only. We get and give words nearly every day here at BL.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 pm

And so, if the employees were at fault, they should be suspended. Other than that, no big deal here.
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am

Sandy wrote:

I agree. It does. Since this is much more the kind of thing you see from the extremist right, does that mean that their hatred must also stop?

All hate Sandy - from right or left.
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 am

Jon Estes wrote:
Sandy wrote:

All hate Sandy - from right or left.

You might as well give up the ministry then.

The questions are about degree of civility when we meet up with those we disagree with.
- subtle code words (like happens everyday here at BL)
- accusatory words (like happens some days here at BL)
- group taunting in isolated settings (like the Cheesecake Factory incident)
- crude words about groups of people in public (like we get from our President at least once a week - e/g immigrant gangs are “not people but animals")
- threats to do harm (like the Fresh Kitchen incident - threat of ICE deportation)
- doing physical harm (like Charlottesville)
- killing people (like what happens in the Gaza Strip, routinely)

I’m with Sandy, the right wing shows more incivility at higher levels.

I try to provide words and DATA to make people think (but it usually does not move anyone in any direction) - we are in the post-truth era (unfortunately) where pre-established feelings rule more than FACTS/DATA to more than 1/2 the people on all sides (and few are willing to spend the time to really research the issues).
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues