[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Sympathy for Austin Bomber because he's white?

Sympathy for Austin Bomber because he's white?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Sympathy for Austin Bomber because he's white?

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Nobody in national politics is willing to call him a terrorist. Not brown, black, or middle eastern.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm not in national politics, but I have no sympathy for him because of his whiteness. I have a son, daughter-in-law, and (especially) 2 grandchildren in Austin, so that may affect my lack of sympathy.
Rvaughn

Postby ET » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:13 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 am

Question is whether this guns-and-chemicals kids' gang called RIOT that he was allegedly active in might be a terror group. I don't know. Timothy McVeigh comes to mind.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 am

Oops, I called it a gang, which suggests the kids were nonwhite. I should have said club, so you would know most if not all of them were white.

That's sort of tongue in cheek, but there is a real sense in which club-vs-gang is color-coded, and police responses to the two terms differ. Even though the activities may be identical.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:40 am

Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:47 am

Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:51 am

Then again, it might be under this definition of domestic terrorism:

(5) the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
(B) appear to be intended—
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

Too many definitions to fuss over. The dude was crazy or evil or both.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Right now is rating this "Unproven" -- which I think basically means they don't have enough info to confirm or deny.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:00 am

I tend to require and believe a political motivation or goal is necessary to reach the classification of "terrorism". McVeigh would fit that bill for "domestic terrorism", as he had a grudge against the government. I think a "gang" tends to have some aspect of illegal activity to one degree or another, at least in the common usage of the term. A white kid in a "club" wouldn't meet the definition of a gang unless the club itself had some nefarious activity as part of its regular activities.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:05 am

JE Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:03 am

I do not know about public/press sympathies in this Austin case,

but when it really counts, whites receive more sympathetic treatment than blacks or hispanics:

In police altercations:

In the Criminal Justice System:
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:48 am

He was white, and he was sympathetic to conservative political causes, and he was male. He gets a pass from the right wing media, and most of the right wing, on being labelled the same way that anyone of another political perspective or race would have been. Period.
Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues